Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#2281 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All
fredx181 wrote:
Just an idea:
Two versions of DebianDog in one thread, your version with Icewm, Jwm and my openbox/xfce version but then with the exact same setup (choice for live-boot and porteus-boot)

I like the idea very much, Fred, but DebianDog has 3 boot methods now. If you don't mind to do the same for Porteus-Wheezy it will be great. Even if you include only 2 boot options I think it will be OK.
Ok, I'll work on new openbox+xfce version with 3 boot methods.
I understand that adding backports kernel is separate module and will not add more space to the iso and there doesn't need to be changed anything for it in the system setup, right?
Fred needs it to check the current boot methods and the changes in debdog-install for the menu.lst
I looked at it in live.cfg and the menu.lst entries in debdog-install, tested some, should all be ok!

As I said I needed to change progress-bar code in some scripts, attached; new-scripts.zip.
In debdog-install I also added warning/question in case "directory to install to" (live) already exists.

Because it's hard to find any working progress-bar script for Xdialog on the net, I'd like to share code of progess-bar for copying contents of source directory to destination directory:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

SRC="${1%/}"
DEST="${2%/}"

running(){ ps $1 | grep $1 >/dev/null; }

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size "$SRC"/* | grep total | awk '{print $1}')
cp -a "$SRC"/* "$DEST" &
CPPID=$!
trap "kill $CPPID" 2 15
(
   while running $CPPID; do

COPY=$(du -cbs --apparent-size "$DEST"/* 2> /dev/null | grep total | awk '{print $1}')
      PERC=$((COPY*100/TOTAL))
      echo $PERC
      sleep 1
   done   
   echo 100   
) | Xdialog --title "Copy directory" --gauge " Copying files to "$DEST"... " 7 70 0

Say you name it "progress", usage is:

progress <source-directory> <destination-directory>
Fred
Attachments
new-scripts.zip
new code for progress bar added
(10.4 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

saintless

#2282 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Ok, I'll work on new openbox+xfce version with 3 boot methods.
I understand that adding backports kernel is separate module and will not add more space to the iso and there doesn't need to be changed anything for it in the system setup, right?
Hi, Fred.

Booting Porteus-Wheezy with initrd.img and initrd1.img does not need any changes in the module.
I think the only problems with Porteus Wheezy debian boot using initrd.img and initrd1.img are loadmodule, mk-save and remastercow. They should be different for debian boot. I'm not sure how will be best to fix this problem.

RemasterCow will not work anyway for DebianDog also with live-boot-3x because there is no Copy On Write option there.

Separate kernel modules also will not change anything in the system. We will use them only for remaster if we need different kernel. All included in separate kernel module is /lib/modules and dpkg database update information and script.
The idea is to boot with separate kernel module, run the script to update dpkg, purge the previous kernel and remaster the system with new kernel. It will make it a little bit bigger with kernel 3.12.0 because /lib/modules is bigger.

Toni

mcewanw

#2283 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: This does not mean we need to wait with DebianDog-Porteus-beta.iso Fred needs it to check the current boot methods and the changes in debdog-install for the menu.lst

DebianDog-Porteus-beta.iso - 112Mb - Three boot methods.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... s-beta.iso
Hi Fred, or Toni, I'm having problems trying to boot the beta iso with:

title PorteusDog (sdb2) 
root (hd1,1)
kernel (hd1,1)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd (hd1,1)/live/initrd1.xz
where /dev/sdb2 (hd1,1) is an ext4 formatted partition.

As you can see, I'm trying to boot from /dev/sdb2 (which is where my debiandog install always is). At boot time, I'm receiving the message that a Win FAT partition or non-posix partition is being detected, so though the system boots it refuses to a create or use a changes folder. However, the /dev/sdb2 partition is, as I say, actually ext4 so should booting fine as before. EDIT: Note that I do have a Win FAT32 first partition on the usb stick (/dev/sdb1) but that didn't create any problem prior to Fred's recent changes to initrd1.xz since I'm booting from /dev/sdb2 not /dev/sdb1.

For the moment, as a temporary workaround, I've replaces the new initrd1.xz with the old initrd1.xz from the earlier DebianDog-PorteusDog-test iso and recreated folder /live/debian/. I also therefore moved /live/base, modules, optional, rootcopy and wheezy-i486.sgn into /live/debian to get things going again. That works, as before, albeit with this menu.list stanza instead:

EDIT:

title Debian-PorteusDog Wheezy on sdb2 (hd1,1)
root (hd1,1)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/debian/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz
Could one of you kindly retest the changes=EXIT:/live/ method to see if there is an error (bear in mind I'm trying to install to /dev/sdb2 partition, which works fine with previous initrd1.xz).

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#2284 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

I can't reproduce the problem you have. How do you get (hd1,1) to work in the boot code? Do you have second flash drive plugged in?

Here is what I tested with 512 Mb usb stick:
I use Gparted to create (sdb1 150Mb Fat32) and (sdb2 350Mb ext4).
Then I use debdog-install to install from folder on sdb2, but i get grldr and menu.lst on sdb1 Fat32 partition. I can't get them auto-created on sdb2.
Then using the auto-generated UUID code or edited with (hd0,1) code I have no problems to save changes on sdb2 on exit in /live

title Test changes
 uuid a07b5c49-19c5-447e-b81a-4123bf5617b4
 kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
 initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title Test-2 changes
 root (hd0,1)
 kernel (hd0,1)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
 initrd (hd0,1)/live/initrd1.xz
Edit: Just tested to move manual grldr and menu.lst from sdb1 Fat to sdb2 ext4 and the flash drive still booting fine and saving changes on exit in sdb2 /live/changes folder but I use again (hd0,1) instead (hd1,1). I can't find a way to use (hd1,1) to reproduce the same situation as William:

title Test-2 changes
 root (hd0,1)
 kernel (hd0,1)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
 initrd (hd0,1)/live/initrd1.xz
Maybe I do something wrong but can't make (hd1,1) to work. I have hard drive sda1. Maybe I need to have second flash drive plugged in if this changes anything.

I haven't tested this yet but are you sure you can boot with the previous initrd1.xz which needs /live/debian/base folder with from=/ ?
It should be from=/live/
If it works with from=/ only it means we do not need from= for original porteus boot with previous initrd1.gz file which seems strange.

Toni

fredx181

#2285 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William, Toni
As Toni said it should be:

root (hd0,1)
Because grub4dos see your usb-stick as first drive.
I suspect you have a live folder somewhere else from where it boots from (sda2 maybe, because (hd1,1) should be that, I think).
To find out what grub see as first and second drive press the key "c" as soon as you get to the grub screen and you'll get to a command line.
Then type:

root (hd0,
And press Tab.
Then it should show the "possible partitions" on your usb-stick.
Or type:

root (hd1,
And press Tab.
And it should show the partitions on your hard-drive.

Toni, thanks for your info!
First try using initrd1.img with Porteus-Wheezy boots without problems :)
It's easier than I thought to make DebianDog-Porteus with openbox-xfce, thanks to the work we've already done.
I'd like you to participate, and tell me if you don't agree with something.
For example I'd like to replace every name "Porteus-Wheezy" with "DebianDog"
But I'll send a test iso soon so you can look at it.

Fred

saintless

#2286 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:I'd like you to participate, and tell me if you don't agree with something.
For example I'd like to replace every name "Porteus-Wheezy" with "DebianDog"
But I'll send a test iso soon so you can look at it.
Sure, Fred :)

It will be great to have DebianDog as a name for two versions:jwm/icewm and openbox-xfce. Both easy to turn into Standard Wheezy Live using live-boot-3x or live-boot-2x or Porteus with initrd1.xz file.
It will be much easier to test and develop both at the same time.

Toni

saintless

#2287 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Because it's hard to find any working progress-bar script for Xdialog on the net, I'd like to share code of progess-bar for copying contents of source directory to destination directory:

#!/bin/bash

SRC="${1%/}"
DEST="${2%/}"

running(){ ps $1 | grep $1 >/dev/null; }

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size "$SRC"/* | grep total | awk '{print $1}')
cp -a "$SRC"/* "$DEST" &
CPPID=$!
trap "kill $CPPID" 2 15
(
   while running $CPPID; do

COPY=$(du -cbs --apparent-size "$DEST"/* 2> /dev/null | grep total | awk '{print $1}')
      PERC=$((COPY*100/TOTAL))
      echo $PERC
      sleep 1
   done   
   echo 100   
) | Xdialog --title "Copy directory" --gauge " Copying files to "$DEST"... " 7 70 0

Say you name it "progress", usage is:

progress <source-directory> <destination-directory>
Hi, Fred.
Uploaded here to be easy to find it:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-co ... ss-bar.zip

Toni

fredx181

#2288 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Hi, Fred.
Uploaded here to be easy to find it:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-co ... ss-bar.zip
Thanks, it's really hard to find codes like these.
I've seen some for dialog but somehow these doesn't work properly for Xdialog (which is strange because it should be the same).

When testing more of the scripts I changed for progress-bar I've found that with remastercow I made a mistake (doesn't work) so here's attached new "new-scripts.zip"
Also changed the menu.lst entries same as you edited them in debdog-install.

new-scripts.zip:
Attachments
new-scripts.zip
corrected new-scripts
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

saintless

#2289 Post by saintless »

New separate kernel modules uploaded changed for the new DebianDog structure. Each has Readme-initrd.txt included with information about each initrd file:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/

021-kernel-486.zip - with live-boot-3x, live-boot-2x and porteus-boot initrd included. It is the default DebianDog kernel and initrd files for testing with other linux or reverse back already remastered DebianDog with different kernel.
022-kernel-686-pae.zip - only live-boot-3x and live-boot-2x initrd files included.
023-kernel-3.9.11-porteus.zip - only porteus-boot initrd file included.
024-kernel-3.12.0.bpo.1.zip - with live-boot-3x, live-boot-2x and porteus-boot initrd included.

Toni

mcewanw

#2290 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred, Toni,

Just woke up at this end of the world so haven't had time to read through your posts regarding my boot problem.

I only have one flash drive plugged in. My flash drive is /dev/sdb and I have debiandog installed on its second partition which is seen as (hd1,1) by my grldr (grldr is on my hard drive first partition since I've been using grub4dos for years installed to hard drive MBR). I have grub4dos boot loader in the MBR of my hard drive (seen as /dev/sda or hd0,0) and grldr part itself is on hard drive first partition /dev/sda1 (hd0,0). That's because this machine boots windows XP or various Puppy distributions that are frugally installed on first partition of harddrive. I always use that arrangement on my main machine.

I'll double check all my settings, but I am currently using the old initrd1.xz as I mentioned and that does work with my current menu.lst (though at this second I have a different usb flash drive plugged in which is using previous DebianDog install.
Toni, yes I was using:

from=/live/
in previous install, but for some reason I needed to remove "live/" part last night. Maybe it was late and I made a blunder; I'll try again this morning.
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 08:59, edited 6 times in total.
github mcewanw

francois.E

#2291 Post by francois.E »

This is a very interesting initiative. I just got you porteus-debian clone (Porteus-Wheezy ) going on on my laptop. The only problem for now is that my logitech wifi mouse and keyboard are not recognized by my z930 toshiba laptop.Which does not occur with porteus-standard.

Would you say that the following solution will work for me or that puppy and porteus-wheezy are completely different?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13550
Thanks.
Last edited by francois.E on Sat 12 Apr 2014, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#2292 Post by mcewanw »

francois.E wrote:This is a very interesting initiative. I just got you porteus-debian clone going on on my laptop. The only problem for now is that my logitech wifi mouse and keyboard are not recognized by my z930 toshiba laptop.Which does not occur with porteus-standard.

Would you say that the following solution will work for me or that puppy and porteus-wheezy are completely different?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13550
Thanks.
I doubt it is the same problem as in that Puppy link, francois.E. More likely, debiandog doesn't currently have the driver included (in kernel or as a module). Toni will be able to tell you probably once he is on line. Fred's previously uploaded Porteus-Wheezy (which is based on much of the stuff in DebianDog, but also more Porteus-like) might be worth trying. See first post in this thread for info on Porteus-Wheezy and where to download it:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 371#742371

I'm not sure if the most recent Porteus-Wheezy has extra drivers from porteus, but I think his first release did. Fred can help you with that one.
github mcewanw

francois.E

#2293 Post by francois.E »

In fact, I installed Porteus-Wheezy (which I called poteus-debian clone).

mcewanw

#2294 Post by mcewanw »

francois.E wrote:In fact, I installed Porteus-Wheezy (which I called poteus-debian clone).
I think Fred changed Porteus-Wheezy to use Debian kernel, which may be the problem for your machine. Perhaps Fred can post you link to his earlier Porteus-Wheezy version, which used porteus kernel as far as I know (but still used Debian apt-get and so on from DebianDog underneath). Hope that earlier version is being archived for cases like this, and could have new updates added to it.
github mcewanw

francois.E

#2295 Post by francois.E »

There is that patch for the logitech devices on jessie and wheezy:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=107567

However, I am not much acquaited to work with that type of patch.

Finally, forget about the patch. I found another mouse and keyboard logitech too. They work.

saintless

#2296 Post by saintless »

francois.E wrote:There is that patch for the logitech devices on jessie and wheezy:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=107567

However, I am not much acquaited to work with that type of patch.

Finally, forget about the patch. I found another mouse and keyboard logitech too. They work.
Porteus-Wheezy has 3 different kernel versions. If you like to check if one of them works with your logitech devices:

kernel 3.9.11 from porteus:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Porteus-W ... Wheezy.iso

kernel 3.2.0-4-486 debian:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Porteus-W ... -4-486.iso

kernel 3.12 debian:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Porteus-W ... n-3.12.iso

Also you can try loading logitech module:

root@debian:~# modprobe hid_logitech_dj

root@debian:~#  lsmod | grep hid
hid_logitech_dj        13171  0 
usbhid                 31704  1 hid_logitech_dj
hid                    60152  2 usbhid,hid_logitech_dj
usbcore               104793  6 ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd,usbhid,ohci_hcd,usb_storage
Also we can make separate kernel module with kernel 3.13 if this problem is fixed there.
I read it is fixed in 3.12-1-amd64 but I don't know if there is 32 bit version. If there is we can make separate module with 3.12.1 for problems like this one.

Toni

mcewanw

#2297 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:Hi William, Toni
As Toni said it should be:

root (hd0,1)
Because grub4dos see your usb-stick as first drive.
I suspect you have a live folder somewhere else from where it boots from (sda2 maybe, because (hd1,1) should be that, I think).
Hi Fred, Toni,

No, grub4dos sees /dev/sda (hard drive) as the first drive because, as I said, I have grub4dos installed to mbr of that hard drive and grldr and menu.lst in its first partition: /dev/sda1

However, Fred, you were correct that the problem was that I had a live folder somewhere else than just on my /dev/sdb2 ext4 flash drive partition. The extra one was in /dev/sda5 (an extended partition on my hard drive). I removed that and new beta debiandog now boots fine with:

title PorteusDog (sdb2) 
root (hd1,1)
kernel (hd1,1)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd (hd1,1)/live/initrd1.xz
But what if I want to keep old setups such as that one I had on /dev/sda1. Is there no way to prevent menu.lst boot code stanza from seeing the 'wrong' live folder (the from= parameter maybe)? Otherwise, I imagine a lot of people could run into a similar problem.

EDIT: Dillo messed up my post so I fix that below from now in iceweasel:

I just thought, Toni, that instead of using a floppy to indirectly boot your old machine from usb stick, you could also instead install grub4dos onto your harddrive (assuming you have one). To protect any MS windows installation that you might have there, you could use the methods described in Lin'n'win pages of icpug, which have methods for XP, and Win7 instead of installing grub4dos bootloader directly to the mbr: http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

I use the Lin'N'Win method for dualbooting between win7 and various linux installs on my other computer - uses grub4dos but called up via win7's own bootmanager.
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#2298 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:But what if I want to keep old setups such as that one I had on /dev/sda1. Is there no way to prevent menu.lst boot code stanza from seeing the 'wrong' live folder (the from= parameter maybe)? Otherwise, I imagine a lot of people could run into a similar problem.
Hi, William.
The old DebianDog setup soon will not be available for download from the site.

You can use this for new porteus-boot setup to have more than one DebianDog frugal install:
Two examples for grub(4dos):
Folder live is at root of drive (no 'from' parameter):

title Live-port-dog (sda1/live) 
  root (hd0,0) 
  kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto copy2ram  changes=/live/ 
  initrd /live/initrd1.xz
Folder 'live' is inside folder 'debdog' (needs 'from' parameter):

title Live-port-dog from debdog (sda1/debdog) 
  root (hd0,0) 
  kernel /debdog/live/vmlinuz1 noauto copy2ram from=/debdog/  changes=/debdog/live/ 
  initrd /debdog/live/initrd1.xz
Similar with debian boot adding live-media-path= (I still can't find time to test this proper for my self).

Toni

mcewanw

#2299 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks Toni
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#2300 Post by mcewanw »

Just noticed that when you click on a deb package in xfe then it uses redeb to extract the package. Surely, default should be to install the package?

Oh well, I see now: right-click and choose install. I guess that will do then.
github mcewanw