How to boot off the CD and keep a Save file on hardrive?

Booting, installing, newbie
pagepup

How to boot off the CD and keep a Save file on hardrive?

#1 Post by pagepup »

I have a Dell Latitude laptop with Lubuntu installed on it.I was reading on another post about somone who uses their Puppy CD to boot and then keep the save file on the harddrive.What would be the steps to do this?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

choose to make a save file on the hard drive at shutdown...done

Mike

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

The save file is just a file like any other.
You can put it anywhere.
It does help if you keep it somewhere near the top layer, of the file system, on the device you put it on.
If Puppy has to drill down thru folders and directories, looking for it, it does take longer to find and boot Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

If you really want to complicate your life, I believe you can even encrypt the Save file. :lol: A much better choice would be to put the Save file on the same CD or DVD you boot Puppy from. Then it becomes a multisession CD or DVD. Unfortunately, not all laptops are able to run Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD, but it's worth a try.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

You can speed up the boot quite significantly if you...
Copy the SFS file from the optical disk to sit beside the pupsave file [in the same folder].

pagepup

#6 Post by pagepup »

I tried doing the save file on my Dell Laptop and it didnt work.I got the red triangles like I got on the Compaq Presario laptop.I then tried to put a save file on my Dell desktop xp with 1g of ram and it did work.Both of my laptops only have 512 mb ram so maybe that was the trouble.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

512 MB of RAM should be plenty to run any standard Puppy. You need to give us more details. Which version of Puppy did you try? Did it run OK when you booted from CD the first time? Did you change anything, install any apps, before you shut down the first time?

slavvo67

#8 Post by slavvo67 »

Yes, the wonderful Yield sign, red triangles. I am far from an expert but I have experienced this before. :(

1. I deleted the save file and started over.

2. I increased the size for my new save file. I don't believe the save file is smart enough to know when you're saving something larger than its predetermined size, so choose a larger save size.

3. I personally installed 30+ pets which I believe goes against the true ORIGINAL goal of Puppy. Keep it light and fast. So, revert back to number 2 above if you find yourself installing many pets.

4. While I don't do it, it might be a good idea to keep a saved copy of your "save file" somewhere else as backup.

5. Try to find out where to turn off the "Auto-Save" function that pops up in some Puppies every 20 minutes or so. I could never confirm this but I personally believe this auto-save function has affected my save file.

Also, please be aware the cache files for your internet browser(s) can get quite large. I recommend the portable browsers by Shinobar. Please search the forum for these.

For the record, I usually keep the save file on a USB.

Best,

Slavvo67

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Someone recently had a problem with a save file on ntfs.... when he deleted it, ran a defragmentation and started over it was ok.

Logically it should not matter but perhaps it is affected in some way.

mike

pagepup

#10 Post by pagepup »

I use Puppy Slacko 5.7. I use the non-pae version on the laptops.I was able to get the save file to work on the Dell laptop but I used a 1g size and my ram is only 512 mb.That save file works but I have no sound.Everything is working ok on my Dell Optiplex desktop.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Ok so this is really a sound/slacko 5.7/dell laptop issue then?

mike

pagepup

#12 Post by pagepup »

I made a larger savefile than what is recommended for my Dell laptop with 512mb ram.The sound was ok when I booted off cd..The Dell laptop always had low sound quality to begin with.Sound would be good though.

slavvo67

#13 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm not really a sound expert but if you search the posts, there were some recent posts as to how to increase the volume of speakers without amplification. I haven't tested any of the suggestions but you should check.

Best,

Slavvo67

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

I made a larger savefile than what is recommended for my Dell laptop with 512mb ram
The size of the save file has nothing to do with the computer brand or the amount of memory.
Save file size is determined by you and how much storage space you want available.
The save file is an area of storage, you have placed on a storage device. How much you can store there is determined by the size and how much free space is still in it.
If it gets full and you need more space. Run resize personal storage file to make it bigger.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dk60902

#15 Post by dk60902 »

mikeb wrote:choose to make a save file on the hard drive at shutdown...done

Mike
That's exactly what I'm doing with my Presario laptop. I burned the Puppy .iso to a CD, booted up, setup wireless, firewall, downloaded/updated browser. When I shut down, I was asked if I wanted to create a savefile. Answered yes and saved to hard drive.

pagepup

#16 Post by pagepup »

I have a 512 mb savefile on the Dell laptop but still no sound.I tried putting a save file on to usb for my Presario laptop but it still doesnt work.The laptop wont start with the cd.It runs without the savefile but wont with the savefile.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

This sounds ( :D ) like a recent slacko bug.
An older release might help.

Its not really an issue with the save file but how the system is handling sound

Mike

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

pagepup wrote:It runs without the savefile but wont with the savefile.
I've seen that happen if/when...
There is an SFS file [for that Puppy] sitting in the same folder as the pupsave file...
BUT...
The SFS is a mismatch...
it's probably an SFS for an older version of the Puppy being booted. [From an optical disk?]
Delete the mismatched SFS before attempting to boot the new optical disk...
Only replace it with a matching SFS AFTER the pupsave has been updated to match the new optical disk.

pagepup

#19 Post by pagepup »

I took Mikes advice and downloaded Slacko 5.5.It works.I deleted the old savefile and got another savefile 512 mb.The sound now works.

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

In that case we should do a dance to celebrate the fact we can play music to dance to

mike