Can't get Puppy onto Internet

Booting, installing, newbie
pcpunk

Can't get Puppy onto Internet

#1 Post by pcpunk »

Hey guys I am new to Linux and could not get Cinnamon or Mate to work as my system is very light on RAM and CPU. So that brings me to Puppy, now I cannot get puppy to internet even though I have setup ethernet connection. I am very frustrated as I am just a beginner pc user.
I will go and put my info into signature.
Al1000

#2 Post by Al1000 »

Hi pcpunk,

Have you tried the internet connection wizard, under Setup in the Menu (or by clicking the relevant icon on the desktop)?

Which version of Puppy are you using?
bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I cannot get puppy to internet even though I have setup ethernet connection.
We need details.
You do what?
You see what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
pcpunk

#4 Post by pcpunk »

Sorry about not getting back with you guys. I did eventually get up and running somehow. The Wizard is so convoluted? Thanks though and I will come back here if having more issues. I think I just went from pecisepuppy to lucidpuppy and that fixed everything.
I would like to know what the difference is between the browsers "Chromium Ubuntu" and "Iron Chrome" I do like Chrome, at least in my windows xp. It is faster than all the others. Is there anything I should know bout browsers relating to LucidPuppy? Thanks, you guys have been so helpful.
Al1000

#5 Post by Al1000 »

Good to hear you got Lucid up and running without any problems. That's my favourite Pup. :)

I have read that Firefox and Seamonkey are the only up-to-date browsers that will work with Lucid without ''issues,'' although I have no idea what these issues are.

The easiest way I have found to install web browsers to Puppy, is to install the most up-to-date version from Package Manager - after first updating Package Manager - then allow it to automatically update from there.

With Firefox it's just a matter of clicking on ''About Firefox'' under the ''Help'' tab, and it automatically checks if it's up to date and updates itself if it isn't.
bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Is there anything I should know bout browsers relating to LucidPuppy?
On the desktop: look in Quickpet->Internet

These browsers are specifically compiled for Lucid.
Best chance to work with little problem.

As Al1000 states.
Use the browser internal update, after you get it installed and working.

If you are running Lucid from a frugal install.
Make a save file and boot using.
Before downloading any programs to add.

Iron
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srwar ... s_iron.php

Chrome is Google's way to spy on you.

Remember, they make money by collecting information on you and what you do.
YaPI(any iso installer)
bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

entered in error.
YaPI(any iso installer)
pcpunk

#8 Post by pcpunk »

I am back guys, after deciding on using LinuxMintMate-but, still want to be able to use this distro and maybe use it as my main distro. I was having an issue with Chromium so I uninstalled it. Then I tried to re-install it and all the others, but nothing! I tried to install from the quickpet and Software Manager (I think that is what it is called) I choose all browsers one by one but none of them would download. I also tried all depositories but again nothing? Don't get it but I will go back and try updating the S.M. as I read above. It's good to see some of you over from the BC site! Please help so that I can start trying out this O.S. and see if it is to my liking. Any info that helps would be very appreciated. I still don't even know which one would be the best for me. This really sucks, I went through the internet connection wizard twice to make sure I was connected and I was but still nothing. What is the dam deal! argh. Is there an easy more descripted place to see if I am connected to the www.
Fossil

#9 Post by Fossil »

I went through the internet connection wizard twice to make sure I was connected and I was but still nothing.
How are you attempting to connect? Is this a wired connection; Wi-Fi, 3G, or what? Please be specific. The more information the better chance somebody will find the solution. Also, details of your computer system would not go amiss.
bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Try to download again.

The main Puppy Lucid repositories have been broken the last few days.
I just checked and seem to be working now.
YaPI(any iso installer)
pcpunk

#11 Post by pcpunk »

Fossil wrote:
I went through the internet connection wizard twice to make sure I was connected and I was but still nothing.
How are you attempting to connect? Is this a wired connection; Wi-Fi, 3G, or what? Please be specific. The more information the better chance somebody will find the solution. Also, details of your computer system would not go amiss.
Fossil, connection is good, it's just the icon and the dialogue box for internet connections are not as intuitive as other OS's that I have used. I was on my Ethernet via ComcastXfinity, good connection, it was setup a while back, and I was on the internet before i un-installed Chromium.

I read at LInux.com that Lupu (and sorry I did not mention again I am working with Lupu right now, from LIveUSB) is not supported any more so the Repositories are no longer available anymore? is this true, I have not been able to find the info. yet through wiki or puppylinux.org.

I will try again as bigpup has stated they were down! that would be cool.

How is Lupu Updated?

I went to a Lupu Forum and it was dead! can't rember which one now as I am on LMCQ17 LiveUSB don't have my favorites.

Can someone point me to some literature that would tell me the difference between the puppy distro's? I thought I was making a good choice when I got Lupu, but now I am remembering that I did so because my RAM would not support the LiveUSB. I guess I should try Precise on L,USB now that I got the RAM to do so, argh. But now I will have to go and get another USB, argh-lol.

I will also attempt to find system requirements for Precise if I can't get updates/browsers for Lupu. I have an older system that I will post here soon. Thanks for the help
bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

I went to a Lupu Forum and it was dead! can't rember which one now
We sure do not know :shock:
That could be something to do with Ubuntu Linux not Puppy Linux.

Latest Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6 is here:
It is not very active, because it works so well and only something new or added gets talked about.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
I read at LInux.com that Lupu (and sorry I did not mention again I am working with Lupu right now, from LIveUSB) is not supported any more so the Repositories are no longer available anymore? is this true,
Linux.com is not a good place to look for info about what is going on with Puppy.
Puppy specific web sites or this forum have the best info.
Lucid Puppy is alive and well and is being supported.
YaPI(any iso installer)
bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

Do not get hung up on having the latest and greatest. It may not work best on your hardware.

The best advice is look at what is offered here:

(The ones on the first page are usually the latest versions.)

Puppy Projects
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index. ... order=DESC

Puppy Derivatives
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index. ... order=DESC

With Puppy, each version is slightly different, so the best thing to do is try some and see what you like.

It is easy to download the Puppy version iso file, burn the image to a CD/DVD, and boot Puppy with it.
Try it and if you do not like it, stop using the disk.
A RW disk is even better, you can just delete disk contents, reuse it with a different version iso image burn.

This info will help you:
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

Basics of installing program packages
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59597
YaPI(any iso installer)