How to remove a virus from USB flash drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
pcpunk

How to remove a virus from USB flash drive?

#1 Post by pcpunk »

Is there a program in Lupu that I can use to disinfect the usb that I want to use to back up my windows. If not then one that I can get free from the net.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Are you sure there is a virus on the drive, or do you just want to make sure there is not?
slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

Flash is right - it might not be a virus. I've had a few USB's just fail on me without notice. There are plenty of how to repair USB drives articles if you do a web search. Sometimes, the metal connectors inside disconnect. Either way, I learned my lesson and back my USB drives up now.

Upon reading again, it looks like you're just looking to format it?

Best,

Slavvo67
Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

Use the same one that you use on your hard disk.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
Barkin

#5 Post by Barkin »

If there is no data on the USB stick you want to keep , formatting it will remove any nasties.

Alternatively Avast antivirus is available for puppy , and can be used to scan external drives for virus / malware ... http://puppylinux.org/wikka/avast
nancy reagan

#6 Post by nancy reagan »

pcpunk

#7 Post by pcpunk »

I just need to MAKE SURE that it does not infect my pc. It has my backed up XP on it but xp had been infected. It needs to be a SAFE program that is designed to do this in specific. I don't want to scan it with AV, it needs to be isolated at the time of installation. There are software that do this but I don't know if there is one for LuPu, I will go look. Also, LuPu is compatible with Ubuntu right?

Also guys and gals, I would love to create another LiveCD of some other distros, can I do this in LuPu?

Thanks again to all.
pcpunk

#8 Post by pcpunk »

Barkin wrote:If there is no data on the USB stick you want to keep , formatting it will remove any nasties.

Alternatively Avast antivirus is available for puppy , and can be used to scan external drives for virus / malware ... http://puppylinux.org/wikka/avast
Yes but do you know if this is SAFE! Doesn't sound like it is designed to do this.
pcpunk

#9 Post by pcpunk »

Burn_IT wrote:Use the same one that you use on your hard disk.
I am a noob and don't know where or what this is called? And again don't know if this is SAFE! I have spent a lot of time trying to do this and can't risk infection.
Can you remind me what is the BEST! way to do a search.
starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

I've used Avast! in the past (before I moved to Puppy full-time earlier this year), and I recommend it highly. My mother's systems (she's a Windows lover) both use Avast! and my local tech shop (of which I am not an employee) also recommends it highly.
pcpunk

#11 Post by pcpunk »

starhawk wrote:I've used Avast! in the past (before I moved to Puppy full-time earlier this year), and I recommend it highly. My mother's systems (she's a Windows lover) both use Avast! and my local tech shop (of which I am not an employee) also recommends it highly.
Apologies but these answers are not directed towards this question.

It is unsafe to just plug it in, it needs to be a special proceedure. It cannot be done by avast as far as I know. I could scan it with avast but that would allow the computer to read it and therefore possibly be infected right away.
Galbi

#12 Post by Galbi »

pcpunk wrote:Apologies but these answers are not directed towards this question.
Because the question it's not clear.
Please explain carefuly what you have, what you want to do, in which OS, etc.
We are guessing.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]
Barkin

#13 Post by Barkin »

pcpunk wrote: I would love to create another LiveCD of some other distros, can I do this in LuPu?
There are CD/DVD burning tools on Puppy Linux , e.g. "pBurn" , [in "Multimedia"], which can be used to make Live CDs.
pcpunk wrote: I could scan it with avast but that would allow the computer to read it and therefore possibly be infected right away.
If Avast is running on Puppy Linux, e.g. a liveCD , ( i.e. Windows OS is NOT running ), then plugging in the USB stick cannot transmit an infection to Windows OS.

There are liveCDs available specifically for scanning the hard-drive and external-drives (like USB sticks) for virus&malware , e.g. Commodo.
Les Kerf

#14 Post by Les Kerf »

pcpunk wrote:...

It is unsafe to just plug it in, it needs to be a special proceedure. It cannot be done by avast as far as I know. I could scan it with avast but that would allow the computer to read it and therefore possibly be infected right away.
Ummm... if you are THAT afraid of it, best just toss it in the garbage can and get a new one. :shock:

You must plug it in sometime if you want it checked. Maybe find a junk computer to plug it in to. You have been given some good advice by folks who do know their stuff, pay attention and you will soon know some good stuff too.
Les
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Take your USB flash drive to the nearest place that sells computers and plug it into one of their computers. See what happens. :twisted:
Burn_IT

#16 Post by Burn_IT »

Ummm... if you are THAT afraid of it, best just toss it in the garbage can and get a new one. Shocked
Although not a Chinese one. .............
slavvo67

#17 Post by slavvo67 »

Wow, this one went around and around. If you format a USB, it wipes everything, no? Some of those USB's have that built in BS program on them (thanks Sandisk) so who the heck knows what's hiding in the background on them!

And if you wish to use a virus scan, just look here and take your choice:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=56

Personally, I would lean towards the ClamAV Portable from Shinobar but there are others. Just be sure to note Shinobar's warning:

"Clamav may over detect sane files as virus. Removing these files may harm the Windows system. I recommend to scan only data files by this clamav. The windows system files are better to be protected by proper security program or by free online scan on the Windows itself. "
Burn_IT

#18 Post by Burn_IT »

What are "SANE" files?? Genuine question not being sarky....

I'm a Windows person as well and I can't work out what is meant by that term.

If it was "some", that was a HUGE mistype given where the "o" and "a" are on the keyboard
musher0

#19 Post by musher0 »

Flash wrote:Take your USB flash drive to the nearest place that sells computers and plug it into one of their computers. See what happens. :twisted:
"Revenge! Revenge!" :twisted:
(Remember the scene in the movie "A Fish Called Wanda" ?!) :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)
8-bit

#20 Post by 8-bit »

If you have a CD of Puppy, and you can disconnect the hard drive in the computer, disconnect the hard drive.
Then boot from the CD with "puppy pfix=ram".
Plug in the USB flash drive, mount it and check it with the antivirus of your choice.
This will protect your hard drive from being infected and the scan should pick up any nasties and offer to remove them.
Also, be sure to check for updates for the antivirus before using it.