Netgear WG511v2 wifi card install-Finally Solved

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
oldhoghead

WPA & ndiswrapper

#21 Post by oldhoghead »

I am new to Linux, but thought I might let someone know after reading these previous threads that I have an old dell inspiron 3700 that I dual boot win98 and Puppy 2.02, I have a Belkin Wireless G Notebook card F5D7010 and a Linksys router that I have wpa encryption and I have got wpa up and running on puppy using ndiswrapper. I still have not gotten it to start at boot, but I am getting closer. So if anyone is interested in how I did it, I will post it on the forum, if there is any interest. I really posted this as I saw BlackAdder had written we might have to wait until 2.12 to have wpa & ndiswrapper.

Puppy 2.02 runs like rocket on this old puter
cheers
oldhoghead

BlackAdder

#22 Post by BlackAdder »

oldhoghead,
You are correct. ndiswrapper and WPA can/do work together in the Puppy 2.xx series. The basis of my previous statement was an article I read that said you need ndiswrapper 1.21 to get WPA support (Puppy 2.xx before 2.12 has ndiswrapper 1.15). I have since tested and got a couple of wireless adapters working using wpa_supplicant. BTW You can get commands to execute during bootup by adding them to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
For others who might be interested in WPA, tempestuous has produced a dot pup for wpa_supplicant. It can be found on Mark Ulrich's site here.

oldhoghead

wpa

#23 Post by oldhoghead »

BlackAdder

Thanks for clarifying that for me, my mistake. I appreciate the advice on the location of the startup file, I have been reading some other posts and got mine working on bootup!

oldhoghead

daw

#24 Post by daw »

Thanks for the offer, I'm trying now to get WPA working on my laptop, but no luck so far. Any info on how you succeeded would be helpful.

Problem may be when running WPA_supplicant, I get:

"Association request to the driver failed," and it loops...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#25 Post by Flash »

For what it's worth, Puppy 2.12 beta got my Netgear WG311 PCI card working with just a few clicks of the Network wizard. I didn't have to download anything, load any modules or do any modprobing. Just point, click and go.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

rblee

WG511T

#26 Post by rblee »

For what it's worth, when I wasted far too much of my life trying to get Kubuntu (spit!) working on this 'ere laptop, the WG511T wouldn't talk using encryption unless I issued an:

iwpriv ath0 authmode 2

command. Note that this was using the native Linux driver, which has the side effect of cutting the maximum speed down to 54Mb. Using Puppy 2.10 and ndiswrapper I've had no problems - Actually it was ridiculously straightforward and I get the 108Mb mode. You'll note from the above command that my WG511T has an Atheros chipset, so maybe that has something to do with it.

My router is a Netgear WPN824.

Good luck!

Roger.

designengineer

#27 Post by designengineer »

I have not had a chance in a while to try the wireless again for a while, but after changing to Puppy 2.12 and again doing the whole wireless setup, still no dice. I can see my router, get the exact same replies as I posted earlier, still wait endlessly for a dhcp address. Nothing has changed except for the Puppy version.
Again, this card connects fine under Windows XP, in the same laptop. I can connect wired just fine in Puppy.

On the wireless profile parameters where it says "Network ID', that is always blank. Does something need to go in there?

Any further thoughts would be helpful. I have never been stumped by a computer problem before, and it is starting to get me irked.

setecio

#28 Post by setecio »

Bookmarked, as I'll be getting a WG511 or WG511T, and I can't see any other way to bookmark posts.

It sounds like WG511T is the easier option to get running in Puppy, and there is only one version of the card shown on the Netgear site. Would this mean they will all be the atheros chipset ?

Would the WG511T be one of the easier current cards to setup (with WPA security) ?

AdveNaturDeligYogic

My wg511-t works fine in an old dell laptop with puppy 2.15

#29 Post by AdveNaturDeligYogic »

To get my Netgear wg511-t working in puppy 2.15 on a Dell Latitude cpi, I did it like this:

click the 'connect' icon on the desktop
click 'connect to internet by network interface' button
click 'load driver' button
select ath_pci
click ok
click on the new 'ath0' button
click 'wireless' button
click 'scan'
click 'ok'
click 'use this profile' <--- YMMV you might have to save a profile first.
click 'auto DHCP' button

and VIOLA!

It took me a few tries to get the ath_pci driver because the autodetect did not use which driver to use. So I kept clicking through them one by one and it worked.

I love you, Puppy, and you are 10,000 times better than whine-doze.