How to install Puppy XP 5.28?

Booting, installing, newbie
GBertolet

#21 Post by GBertolet »

Thank you Latitude for responding. Yes I did the Frugal install, as that was recommended for a permanent install to hard drive.

The Lupa files in the hard drive containing my personal storage are denied access, because the system says they are in use. I am also told in the same message, I must unmount if I wish to access. But how can I unmount if it is in use? If there is a way to do this, please tell me.
Galbi

#22 Post by Galbi »

GBertolet wrote: I must unmount if I wish to access.
:? To access for what?
If it´s in use (so it´s mounted) you already have access.
To increse the size, use the apropiate menu item.
But how can I unmount if it is in use? If there is a way to do this, please tell me.
At boot time, hit F2 key. Then enter this:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
with this, it´s like a vey first time run, it does not read your save-file.
Very useful if you you want to try something new without touching the save-file. Of course changes are not saved (or saved in a new save-file). It´s also possible to have more than one save-file for different porpouses. (Sorry if I´m confusing more than helping).
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]
disciple

#23 Post by disciple »

Since when was Wine a browser?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

I haven't the slightest from WHERE he got this to run >> http://wine-wiki.org/index.php/Wine_Web_Browser
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
GBertolet

#25 Post by GBertolet »

There is a Wine internet explorer on my XP Puppy Linux. There is a page named Wine Enviornment, which has a numerous Wine apps on it. One of them is Wine Internet Explorer. The icon to open this page is on the left side of the header tool bar. If necessiary I can try to take a picture of it.
Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

Are you running this pup or this one?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
GBertolet

#27 Post by GBertolet »

Semme, I believe I am running the first one. This Linux was advertised as a substitute for XP. It even has the Windows XP sounds on startup and shutdown. Occasionally the language on FireFox comes up as Hungarian, which might be a clue to the version. This might be a hybrid of several different Puppies. Interesting!

Here's the ebay link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linux-xp-Replac ... 3a925d8f12
Semme

#28 Post by Semme »

So, what is it you need help with?

If you open a terminal and run: fdisk -l, we'll get an idea of how your drive's been partitioned.
bigpup

#29 Post by bigpup »

Wine Internet Explorer is not a full version of Internet Explorer.
It is there for Windows emulation, because of how Windows works and some Windows software programs expect to see and use it.

Do you know what Wine is in Linux?

Wine, what is it!
http://www.winehq.org/

Basically it is a way to run Windows software programs in Linux.

Sounds like the Puppy version you have has Wine pre- installed.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
bigpup

#30 Post by bigpup »

I am flying by the seat of my pants, as I have no doccumentation for the operation of the Linux Puppy operating system. I may have to find a good book.
The first few topics in beginners section of the forum have info on how Puppy works.

Like anything new to you, you need to just try to operate programs and get a feel for how they work.
Most programs come with a help, you can click on, for that programs documentation.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
Latitude

#31 Post by Latitude »

@GBertolet
The Puppy XP 5.28 derivative you have is one I'm not familiar with and if it's not allowing you to re-size your Personal Save file, or copy the Personal Save to a backup of some sort, then you might be better off installing Puppy 5.28 which is available from here:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... ppy-5.2.8/
The file you want to download is lupu-528.005.iso

EDIT: I've just realised that GBertolet has only been using the Puppy XP 5.28 derivative for 2 or 3 days and his/her Personal Save file has already filled up to 512 mb. I've been using Puppy 5.25 for three YEARS and my Personal Save is only 330 mb full. I would be very suspicious of what sort of data is being recorded in the Personal Save file, by whom and for what purpose. GBertolet would be well advised not to use that computer for online Banking or online shopping and to remove the Puppy XP 5.28 derivative from the computer as soon as possible.
Sky Aisling

#32 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello GBertolet

Good on you for keeping on trying. :)

My question is why do you want to use Puppy XP?
Are you a little nervous of letting go of XP?

There are many other plain ole Puppies, like Precise Puppy, Slacko Pup, and others that give you just about anything you'd need without the worrisome interference of Windows.

Here's Wikipedia's explanation of Puppy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux
Latitude

#33 Post by Latitude »

In the very first post on this thread GBertolet describes his/her computer as:
550 MHZ processor, 20 GB hard drive, and 768 meg of ram
With those specs, GBertolet may have better luck with an older version of Puppy. I would start at Puppy 5.28 and, if that doesn't work out, go back to the "Retro" versions of Puppy 4.31.
If it's not Backed-Up, then it isn't really yours.
You just think it is.
GBertolet

#34 Post by GBertolet »

I do have CD of DSL Linux that I was going to try on an other ancient computer, having 200mhz, 4 G hard drive, and 256 meg of ram. Maybe that would be also suitable for this one also?
Sky Aisling

#35 Post by Sky Aisling »

GBertolet

Latitude suggests Puppy-431.
I agree.
Puppy-431 does a very good job on the older machines with small RAM.
It's a 'standby', solid, a brick of a little Distro.

Here are some download references:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy431

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/

http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20to%20d ... 0Puppy.htm
Latitude

#36 Post by Latitude »

With only 256 mb of RAM you would need a Linux Swap partition of about 512 mb. This applies to a DSL or Puppy installation.

There are 2 Retro versions of Puppy 4.31 available from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... l-puppies/

If you want to try Puppy, I'd start with the Retro version based on Linux Kernel 2.6.21.7 and if that doesn't work, then try the other one - Kernel 2.6.25.16 On old hardware, I've found that one or the other of these will usually work, but with a 200 mhz Processor, it will be a challenge to get anything to run on it.

I would get DSL or Puppy to run on your Gateway 550 first. Then use that machine to create a Swap Partition of 512 mb on an external USB Hard Drive or USB Flash Drive. You could then have that external drive plugged in to the 200 mhz computer BEFORE you try to boot DSL or Puppy from the CD. This way the installation process will have the benefit of a Swap Partition right from the start. Once it's up and running you could put a Swap Partition on the Hard Drive of the 200 mhz computer, then open a Terminal window and type:
swapon /dev/hda2 (assuming hda2 is the name of the Swap Partition)
If it's not Backed-Up, then it isn't really yours.
You just think it is.
GBertolet

#37 Post by GBertolet »

Thanks guys so far. This is where I am at so far on the Gateway 550. I have both operating systems on the hard drive now. Windows XP and the Puppy XP 5.28. Both work OK within their respective operating systems, but the puppy is so much faster on the internet. The Win XP just boggs down. I still think I can do better with the browser speed on the linux system. I think I am going to eliminate the Win XP because I think I am at the system limitations and can forsee no speed improvements.

I am going to take the advice and try an older linux version. I see two advertised that I like, a 4.31 and a 4.21 retro. They both are on CD's and are only a few bucks each. I think I will get both. I sort of like the CD's better than downloads. I found the Puppy XP to be a bit overwhelming with unecessiary apps, and features that drag down my already limited system. It is my understanding the the earlier versions are much smaller and simpler, and are likely to work still faster than the puppy XP, while still giving me what I want.

On another note, I tried the DSL linux on my 200 mhz, 256 meg Gateway. I just ran it off the CD in the RAM. It apparently has few or no drivers, so much does not work, especially the USB ports. It suggests I find my own. Existing printer and scanner ran off Windows software, and apparently the drivers are not supported in this linux. I would have to hunt for my own drivers also, if they are out there. The 4.21 retro claims to have many of these type of drivers. For 4 dollars I will find out.
GBertolet

#38 Post by GBertolet »

I received the two linux CD's, the 4.21 retro and the 4.31. I ran the 4.31 from the CD and tried to set up the internet on the Gateway 550. I am running a TP-Link 822N wireless adapter. No good, no drivers in the database. I found out what the proper driver is supposed to be, a Realtek rtl 8192cu, which I downloaded off a previous post on this forum. The system accepted the driver, and according to all the self tests, said it was active. It would not ask me for a security code though, and could not get a screen to request one. This might be the problem.

I tried using Sea Monkey and Firefox and keep getting error, page would not load. The 5.28 version, I have loaded also on the computer has the driver preloaded in it's database and works fine.

What is the proper method to set up a wireless connection in the 4.31 Linux? Does it have to be loaded on the hard drive, instead of running off the CD? I want to see how well it works before deleting the 5.28 version. It seems to keep going around in circles with the dialog boxes during my attempts.
rcrsn51

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run Menu > System > PupScan > USB Devices.

Locate your TP-LINK device.

Find the vendor and product ID codes and the kernel module.

Report back.
GBertolet

#40 Post by GBertolet »

This is what the system says for the usb wireless adapter: Kernel 2.6.30.5, Realtek, product ID obda 8178. Even though it is a TP-Link device, it's called Realtek. I tried again adding the rtl 8192 cu driver from flash drive at the start this time. It was accepted, and requested the security code. I now can get online. The connection is very slow, much slower than the same computer running 5.28 puppy, which does show the rtl 8192 cu driver being used for that also. Maybe running off the CD makes it this slow, or there is a better driver out there. The rtl 8192 cu driver I downloaded is supposed to be for the 2.6.30.5 kernel.