Puppy as the main distribution

Booting, installing, newbie
popcorn

Puppy as the main distribution

#1 Post by popcorn »

The puppy can be used as the main distribution replacing ubuntu among others.
If yes, no problem.
If you do not want to know why.

I thank
nic007

Re: Puppy as the main distribution

#2 Post by nic007 »

popcorn wrote:The puppy can be used as the main distribution replacing ubuntu among others.
If yes, no problem.
If you do not want to know why.

I thank
Yes. It's all about satisfying your own, specific needs. Happy now?
ardvark

#3 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Yes, Puppy is "mature" enough to be a distribution you can use for daily use. While it doesn't have the eye candy and sophistication that Ubuntu has, in part, to keep the overhead down, it's size and speed, in my opinion, makes up for that and is my first choice (and I've tried a few) among lightweight distributions designed for older systems. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]
Fossil

#4 Post by Fossil »

Definitely! But with the added proviso: "It depends upon what you wish to use it for." Internet browsing, email, document writing, watching videos, listening to MP3's and other formats, it all works. If you expect to play large elaborate Windows based games, etc, just remember that some won't work, some will - but using an emulator and, even then need a fair bit of tweaking.
I've used Puppy since the 2-series. Starting with 4.1.2, completely for general day-to-day use - without any other distro. So, it's up to you - What do you want to use Puppy for? A rhetorical question!
neerajkolte

#5 Post by neerajkolte »

When I first wanted a Linux distro as my main OS, I searched net and was overwhelmed by all those distros.

Every distro's fans swear it's the best.

But everyone also tells me it's largely based on your taste and requirements.

So I first listed down what will be my use....
Then I chose the lightweight Distro that can fulfill them.

I am using Fatdog64 since Feb this year. I haven't yet stretched it to it's limit to find it lacking. All my friends who were fed up with windows and ready to experiment are really happy with puppy. That list also includes one friend who primarily used Ubuntu.

Puppy is very much main distribution in my opinion.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.
popcorn

#6 Post by popcorn »

I'm using a little time, but so far I am very pleased with the puppy, for my use I know I'll have no problems. I just need to get used to the change from 8 to win the puppy, but this and only a matter of time.
I thank all the answers
rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

@popcorn: Please answer the final question posted in your wifi thread.
caiosama

#8 Post by caiosama »

Im in the same kind of question.

Im gonna buy a new computer tomorrow, a Lenovo, with 8 gb RAM, i5 and stuff like that (a much more modern machine that i use right now), and im so in love with the Puppy Linux that i want it to make it my main Distro, with some kind of Virtual Machine with Windows...not to make very complicated things with it, but things like running light programs, or some Microsoft Office (i use LibreOffice but for compatibilites in my work i HAVE to use the M Office)

I dont know if i pick Tharpup or Fatdog64....
Last edited by caiosama on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 02:32, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Pupjibaro 1.0.4 2015 / LxpupTahr 15.05.2 - Live USB - Dell D630
Precise 5.7.1 - Full installation - Asus EeePC 701 4G (2 GB RAM)
Carolina Vanguard Frugal /Arch Linux Antergos - Lenovo G4070[/i]
8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

Been on ASUS-eee linux and Puppy as successor. Quite satisfied with the general surfing and Office stuff one can do. Even watch YouTube stuff OK.
Puppy is a small and unique Linux, it will do almost all that you ask of it, as others have mentioned before. For example, you can tweak it to your personal hardware and remove unwanted stuff, Add an Office, improve the artistic ability, etc. lotsa fun.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
mikeslr

Have to use Microsoft Office?

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Hi caiosama,

While you may be right that you'll have to use Microsoft Office via a Virtual Machine, before employing that method, see if Softmaker Office will provide the compatibilities you need for your work. http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm.

Regarding Puppy as "The Main Distro" with the current state of Linux applications, about the only reason I have for ever booting into Windows is to run Tax Software. Even as to that, there is now a Linux application (and online programs). As to the first, I'll wait a few years to see how it stakes up. As to the second -- well, my cagey account who formerly worked for the IRS advises that the best way to avoid being examined is to file when the IRS is busiest --the last minute-- and not to make their job easier with a computer ready file.

There are, however, Windows programs written specifically for business operations and if your business uses one of them Windows remains essential.

mikesLr
Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

lol so thats why I never got audited ( that and my math skills ) half the fun was sweating bullets stuck in traffic at 11:50pm near the main post office on the 15th.
Did have an accountant tell me to not claim my video games and computer equipment for a business expense ( but they were )
Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

With the win8 computer discribed by that guy from that place that stole the Texas Flag... 8)

Use Fatdog64 701 mine works great including the touchscreen and with that much memory try the base2ram=expand kernel line addition.
Also F1 to select legacy first boot option. Turn off hybernate option within windows 8.1 before trying ANY linux

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/1 ... 61511.html
Blackfish

#13 Post by Blackfish »

caiosama wrote:Im in the same kind of question.

Im gonna buy a new computer tomorrow, a Lenovo, with 8 gb RAM, i5 and stuff like that (a much more modern machine that i use right now), and im so in love with the Puppy Linux that i want it to make it my main Distro, with some kind of Virtual Machine with Windows...not to make very complicated things with it, but things like running light programs, or some Microsoft Office (i use LibreOffice but for compatibilites in my work i HAVE to use the M Office)

Totally love the Puppy swag! First I have ever seen! The only thing I don't like about it is that you beat me to it! I've been dreaming up a few designs for T and polo shirts over the last few months, but haven't actualized anything yet. My favorite idea, so far, is Tux in his famous sitting position wearing a T-shirt of that funky Quirky desktop color fade with the Quirky Pup on the front of the T-shirt. But there's two problems with this idea: 1. I don't know how to draw it (save for in my head), and, 2. I hate pink and I won't wear it!

I've got a few other ideas in the works. We'll see how things go along. I don't need any new clothes right now, so I will wait until I need some new T-shirts before making up first my T-Pup.
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0
caiosama

#14 Post by caiosama »

Hi Blackfish!

Yeah, i like to design t-shirts, and i thought the Puppy Linux logo was perfect for a very cool one!

But in this case, i only took the idea t-shirt from here http://i3.cpcache.com/product/533313550 ... &width=225

Ted: hahaha, i have read some jokes about the flags... http://i.imgur.com/gDuAzqb.png , anyway, Fatdog is a very good choice, but i also want to have access to the Ubuntu repos...
Attachments
20150501_160310.jpg
(164.12 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
caiosama

#15 Post by caiosama »

Blackfish wrote:
caiosama wrote:Im in the same kind of question.

Totally love the Puppy swag! First I have ever seen! The only thing I don't like about it is that you beat me to it! I've been dreaming up a few designs for T and polo shirts over the last few months, but haven't actualized anything yet. My favorite idea, so far, is Tux in his famous sitting position wearing a T-shirt of that funky Quirky desktop color fade with the Quirky Pup on the front of the T-shirt. But there's two problems with this idea: 1. I don't know how to draw it (save for in my head), and, 2. I hate pink and I won't wear it!

I've got a few other ideas in the works. We'll see how things go along. I don't need any new clothes right now, so I will wait until I need some new T-shirts before making up first my T-Pup.
Hi Blackfish!

Yeah, i like to design t-shirts, and i thought the Puppy Linux logo was perfect for a very cool one!

But in this case, i only took the idea t-shirt from here

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/533313550 ... &width=225

Ted: hahaha, i have read some jokes about the flags... http://i.imgur.com/gDuAzqb.png, anyway, Fatdog is a very good choice, but i also want to have access to the Ubuntu repos...

PS: I had some problems posting in the forum.
[i]Pupjibaro 1.0.4 2015 / LxpupTahr 15.05.2 - Live USB - Dell D630
Precise 5.7.1 - Full installation - Asus EeePC 701 4G (2 GB RAM)
Carolina Vanguard Frugal /Arch Linux Antergos - Lenovo G4070[/i]