Intel wants you to use your face to replace passwords

For discussions about security.

Is it a bad idea?

Yes. What if someone smashes my face?
55%
Yes. What if the computer, camera, and/or software is compromised?
36%
Yes. What if the NSA/GCHQ is collecting data
9%
No. Too many people use bad passwords.
No votes
No. I am simply bad at making passwords, so I will be lazy and use my face.
No votes
No. It's the 21st century so why not?
No votes

Total votes: 11

bark_bark_bark

Intel wants you to use your face to replace passwords

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Main Article - Editorial on this Topic
view from guy on another site wrote: these are hypothetical situations:

Scenario 1,

-Yell evolution rules
-*gets face smashed in by christian
-try to log on computer
-ACCESS DENIED
-Software phones feds

Scenario 2,

-closed source software contain massive security holes
-server gets compromised by script kiddies
-software gets modified
-keeps me locked out
Ibidem

#2 Post by Ibidem »

Poll is missing "Yes. All of the above."
dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

Poll is missing, "I don't want any password that works after someone kills me".

Fingerprint scan would be better, they'll be able to just cut off my thumb.
bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

More quotes from other people
What if someone takes a picture of my face and holds that up in front of the camera?

I still would prefer the ability to create and remember my own passwords to this method.
This biometric crap has been tried a million times before, and it hasn't gone anywhere. Anyone else remember the feature in MacOS 9 that let you use a voice password? It's the same shit, different day, Dr Frankenstein has dug up the same dead horse, reanimated it, and is beating it to death again.

It all looks good in the movies, but in reality it is impractical. Someone find some way to duplicate your face recognition? You can change a password, but not your face! Well, there is that face beating which, as usual, brings up what if there is a problem with your face/finger print/voice pattern/retina scan/anal probe/etc? If you can't type or click a mouse then you probably can't use your computer or mobile toy anyway. So typing a password is a good minimum requirment for entry in to a system.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time Intel came up with a boneheaded scheme. Anyone else remember how they promoted the use of unique CPU IDs to gain access to exclusive online-content and similar crap. Here, let me fire up QEMU and set a different CPU ID.
Yeah this is most certainly quite boneheaded. I still personally think the answer to passwords lie within smart cards.
Private/public keys ftw! If you speak SSH, you know the deal.
In college Lenovo had a program called VeriFace, pretty sure it came with consumer models but it installed on my ThinkPad. I had to take my glasses off for it to recognize my face and be in a well lit room but it was kinda neat. This was merely a convenience thing just like the fingerprint reader, it was still relying on a windows password.
In college Lenovo had a program called VeriFace, pretty sure it came with consumer models but it installed on my ThinkPad. I had to take my glasses off for it to recognize my face and be in a well lit room but it was kinda neat. This was merely a convenience thing just like the fingerprint reader, it was still relying on a windows password.
It came with my Ideapad too. Just as a joke in college we tested it, and it responded to a photo of myself on a cellphone to allow people to log in.
JustGreg

#5 Post by JustGreg »

How about this. One takes a picture in the appropriate format and submits it as camera data to the authentication program. I think this would get another person into the system. Although just taking a photograph and printing seems easier.

This is a bad idea. Fingerprints do work.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
rokytnji

#6 Post by rokytnji »

Just another way to break the hardware. So you buy more Intel.

I just hate those push button starters on cars.
Imagine your face when you hit the button and nothing happens?
Battery is connected.
Plenty of juice.

Everything else works.

I mention this because my washing machine is digital.
Digital. To wash clothes.

I have to hit the button 30 times for the led to kick in sometimes. Just gotta love that dc connection.
wboz

#7 Post by wboz »

I hate digital controlled washing machines. I get what the benefits are but I also KNOW the first part of that machine to break is going to be the button, at which point you need an entirely new panel which no doubt will be out of production since Samsung provides no support after purchase as a general rule.

What if I want to share my password with my wife?

Pretty hard to loan out my face and get it back later.
bark_bark_bark

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

wboz wrote:What if I want to share my password with my wife?

Just take a picture of your face and tell her to put it in front of the camera.
darry1966

#9 Post by darry1966 »

wboz wrote:I hate digital controlled washing machines. I get what the benefits are but I also KNOW the first part of that machine to break is going to be the button, at which point you need an entirely new panel which no doubt will be out of production since Samsung provides no support after purchase as a general rule.

What if I want to share my password with my wife?

@Wboz and Rokytnji I agree totally about electronic washing machines best machines I have used didn't have electronics 1. Wonder Wash 2. Wringer Machines 3. Hoovermatic Twintub. Not crazy about electric car windows either.
Fossil

#10 Post by Fossil »

@darry1966. Hoover twin-tubs? That takes me back a bit - along with Bendix. As for hand turned wringers.... Yes, I can remember them. It took two people: one to crank the handle, the other to feed the sheets through the rollers. Can you recall the old fashioned "copper's"? A copper being a deep metal basin of about ten or more gallons cemented above a fireplace. Water filled the tub. A fire was started early one morning, when the water began to boil the dirty clothes were added. If it was white linen sheets a small bag of 'blue' - a whitening product - was also placed in the water. Then, as the water boiled the whole lot was stirred slowly around with a tough stick. The difficult and dangerous part was withdrawing the boiling clothes/sheets and then passing them through the mangle. It was then a matter of transferring the items to the clothes line to dry! This took just about all day!

Back on subject. Why stop at face-recognition? As the majority of computer users spend so much time seated, why not expedite security matters and install infra-red butt-recognition scanner's (somewhat like retinal scans). This principal could also be rolled out at airports, etc, so that travellers awaiting their flights, could be readily identified in the public seated ( I nearly typed pubic! :shock: ) areas. This way, there would be no queues - and officials could keep a very close eye on any suspects! Such a tactic could also be applied to just about any other seated activity - pubs, clubs, restaurants, theatres, cars, etc. No need to pay indirectly, the charge will be automatically incurred: just go and sit, "That will do nicely!"
8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

Lets see...
Typed passwords (simple text) gets hacked due to insecurity
Digitized image (gif,jpg,png, etc) gets hacked due to insecurity.

The former is a supposed random set of characters that the user remembers

The latter is total user ID (face). It won't be long before someone bugs the image by merely altering the header (non-picture portion) as a man-in-the-middle spoof/attack. (After all, changing any picture to text is allowed being a rather lengthy string)

NO, an unnecessary compile of pertinent user ID-data.
Why don't we just use SSN and be done with it? :twisted:
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
dancytron

#12 Post by dancytron »

8Geee wrote:Lets see...
Typed passwords (simple text) gets hacked due to insecurity
Digitized image (gif,jpg,png, etc) gets hacked due to insecurity.

The former is a supposed random set of characters that the user remembers

The latter is total user ID (face). It won't be long before someone bugs the image by merely altering the header (non-picture portion) as a man-in-the-middle spoof/attack. (After all, changing any picture to text is allowed being a rather lengthy string)

NO, an unnecessary compile of pertinent user ID-data.
Why don't we just use SSN and be done with it? :twisted:
Why the complicated "man in the middle spoof/attack"?

Just kill the person, cut their head off, take the head and the laptop/tablet/phone somewhere and drain their bank accounts and credit cards at your convenience.
8-bit

#13 Post by 8-bit »

I have a laptop with facial recognition. And the recognition wants one to look exactly the same every time on logs on using that software.
But over the course of days, weeks, one's looks change.
I do not even have or use a log on password with my computers.
Everything is backed up for restoring and I do not keep any sensitive personal information on my computers.
wboz

#14 Post by wboz »

bark_bark_bark wrote: Just take a picture of your face and tell her to put it in front of the camera.
Doesn't work, this is the obvious way to fool the system so they design them so it's looking for a real 3D object, not just a 2D picture.
greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

Fossil wrote: Why stop at face-recognition? As the majority of computer users spend so much time seated, why not expedite security matters and install infra-red butt-recognition scanner's
We now have "Near Field Communication" debit cards called Paywave so that you dont even have to confirm that you want the money debitted from your account.. Your proposed system would be even quicker and could be called "ArseWave".

What a timesaver! Specially for the twerkers.
cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

From the same company found spying on people in
the Pentium 4 bios??? years ago.

Can't find the link.

Chris.
8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

8-bit wrote:I have a laptop with facial recognition. And the recognition wants one to look exactly the same every time on logs on using that software.
But over the course of days, weeks, one's looks change.
I do not even have or use a log on password with my computers.
Everything is backed up for restoring and I do not keep any sensitive personal information on my computers.
no doubt the image is updated every X days. I hope your 'puter is up-to-date security-wise and has a lot of free memory. New twist on the "Family Album" ???
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
Teh Agnostic Anarco

#18 Post by Teh Agnostic Anarco »

Meh, Intel? Many computer OEMs have been doing this for a while with their own propietary software on laptops. Has its drawbacks and advantages I still prefer a strong passphrase assuming you have no keyloggers hiding around.
mikeslr

Creditcards/Debitcards with Photos

#19 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

With credit card fraud being a multi-billion dollar a year industry, Paywave is about the dumbest idea, ever.
On the average week, I receive 2 unsolicited applications for credit cards. You would think some major bank offering credit cards might require applicants to include a photo of his/herself and his/her spouse/child if a second card was wanted for such. Then issue a card with the photo on it. Pretty hard a clerk not to realize that the person tendering the card has the wrong face, or that the card's been tampered with to show the "right" face.
But then I guess banks don't really care. The cost of sending out applications is tax deductible. Loses from credit card fraud are tax deductible. And the profits banks make under our system for doing very little work are obscene.
You, of course, realize that when a bank extends credit it's considered a "loan". If you loan me money, it's money you had. And you won't have that money again until, and if, I pay it back. Loans from banks are different. In making a loan a bank doesn't use either the money it has on deposit or the money its shareholders paid to purchase stock. It simply creates the money* by issuing it. Only Federal Reserve rules limit the amount of money a bank can create. Although it changes from day to day, on average a bank can create 10 times the amount of money it has on deposit and in its capital account (paid in by shareholders). This system is (a) the real reason Britain cracked down on the Colonies sparking the rebellion -- Local American banks were violating the monopoly held by the Bank of England; and Ben Franklin let that secret slip out, probably while carousing in Paris; (b) inflation exists, as more money keeps entering the system. (b), by the way, is a good thing, provided it is kept in check by, for example, taxation which takes money out of the system. Otherwise, as has happened during the last 40 years, a greater percentage of a countries purchasing power end up in the pockets of those in the Financial Industry.
What's the real interest rate on a 30 year fixed mortgage at 4% annual interest? What number do you get when you divide by 0?

mikesLr

* I'm not using money here in the limited sense of pieces of paper. The pieces of paper we carry in our wallets are printed by our government. [Banks can print them as well, but they wouldn't be legal tender that everyone is obligated to accept in payment]. Taking into consideration checks, direct deposits and e-banking, the use of pieces of paper to pay for things is a small part of the economy.