tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE

Please post any bugs you have found
666philb

#121 Post by 666philb »

nitehawk wrote:Using older Dell Optiplex Gx270 (P4--2.8Ghz--1G ram--200G hd)

My CD of Tahrpup 6.0 must be a bad burn or something. First,..I did a full install,..then tried just using it live off the CD. Same thing. Same results.

All the mini icons in the menu aren't there, until I run the cursor over them. (Then they disappear again). Abiword is all glitzy. WHen I type something in Abiword,...nothing shows up. Then after awhile (a looong while) the words appear. Then disappear again. Weird. Like I said,....must be the CD.

Otherwise,..it's a great Puppy!
sounds like somethings up..... the PAE version can be funny on some hardware, even if it can boot it. also switching to the older 3.4.103 kernel may help (not tried that on a full install though)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
luiscuadrado123

#122 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

Hello everyone!!

I am the boy with the Cups-PDF problem LOL.

I checked, in a new clean save-folder every program i need to have installed to find what program corrupt my CUPS system...

what I did was, installed a program to check if I can print a document from any application, such leafpad and generate a PDF. None of my applications corrupted my system until I spotted what the problem is.

The CUPS system is corrupted when filled some element of first boot screen. I checking one by one, I discovered that when changing the HOSTNAME, my system automatically stopped printing PDF.

So .. this is a new bug?
any suggestion to solve the problem and save my actual save folder? i dont want to config all my app again in a new save :(

Take to report another problem I have encountered. The display of "default applications" when I try to change the application to print screen (by default this mtPaint) by screeny ... nothing changes, still mtPaint.
rcrsn51

#123 Post by rcrsn51 »

luiscuadrado123 wrote: this is a new bug?
No. It's been around forever and never gets fixed.

Open the file /usr/lib/cups/backend/pdf-writer in a text editor.

Change line 69 to: PUPPY_LINUX=1
luiscuadrado123

#124 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

rcrsn51 wrote:

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

you are fucking awesome!!
thanks man!!
your post have solved my problem!!

Thanks!!!

any idea how to put screeny to print screem?
mavrothal

#125 Post by mavrothal »

luiscuadrado123 wrote: Take to report another problem I have encountered. The display of "default applications" when I try to change the application to print screen (by default this mtPaint) by screeny ... nothing changes, still mtPaint.
There is a typo in line 204 of /usr/bin/defaults-chooser. Change it to screenshot and will be fine.

Code: Select all

--- a/usr/bin/defaults-chooser	2014-11-11 14:07:52.163304620 +0800
+++ b/usr/bin/defaults-chooser	2014-07-30 20:56:26.000000000 +0800
@@ -201,7 +201,7 @@
 	defaults-changer 'paint' "$PAINT" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'pdf' "$PDF" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'pdfviewer' "$PDFVIEWER" "$newroot"
-	defaults-changer 'screensot' "$SCREENSHOT" "$newroot"
+	defaults-changer 'screenshot' "$SCREENSHOT" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'search' "$SEARCH" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'spreadsheet' "$SPREADSHEET" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'terminal' "$TERMINAL" "$newroot"
Last edited by mavrothal on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==
mavrothal

#126 Post by mavrothal »

rcrsn51 wrote:

This is not in woof. Is coming from the cups_pdf package. Any idea where this package is coming from? Or else a z_hack could be added.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==
rcrsn51

#127 Post by rcrsn51 »

mavrothal wrote:This is not in woof. Is coming from the cups_pdf package. Any idea where this package is coming from?
There is a package in quirky/pet_packages_quirky named cups-pdf-0.8-1.pet that looks like it.
mavrothal

#128 Post by mavrothal »

rcrsn51 wrote:
mavrothal wrote:This is not in woof. Is coming from the cups_pdf package. Any idea where this package is coming from?
There is a package in quirky/pet_packages_quirky named cups-pdf-0.8-1.pet that looks like it.
Maybe.
But I can also see it in puppylinux/pet_packages-noarch/cups_pdf-0.8-1.pet.
There is also a puppylinux/pet_packages-noarch/cups_pdf-0.8-2.pet that actually has a fix by you!
Apparently TahrPup opted for 0.8-1...
luiscuadrado123

#129 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

mavrothal wrote:
luiscuadrado123 wrote: Take to report another problem I have encountered. The display of "default applications" when I try to change the application to print screen (by default this mtPaint) by screeny ... nothing changes, still mtPaint.
There is a typo in line 204 of /usr/bin/defaults-chooser. Change it to screenshot and will be fine.

--- a/usr/bin/defaults-chooser	2014-11-11 14:07:52.163304620 +0800
+++ b/usr/bin/defaults-chooser	2014-07-30 20:56:26.000000000 +0800
@@ -201,7 +201,7 @@
 	defaults-changer 'paint' "$PAINT" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'pdf' "$PDF" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'pdfviewer' "$PDFVIEWER" "$newroot"
-	defaults-changer 'screensot' "$SCREENSHOT" "$newroot"
+	defaults-changer 'screenshot' "$SCREENSHOT" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'search' "$SEARCH" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'spreadsheet' "$SPREADSHEET" "$newroot"
 	defaults-changer 'terminal' "$TERMINAL" "$newroot"
hi mavrothal

i change the line 204 and don't work for me :(
now in the default applications apps, in the screenshot menu, appear "screeny" but when i press Imp-pant, mtpaint appear with the screenshot :(
mavrothal

#130 Post by mavrothal »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:i change the line 204 and don't work for me :(
now in the default applications apps, in the screenshot menu, appear "screeny" but when i press Imp-pant, mtpaint appear with the screenshot :(
What did not work for you?
Isn't it the default application changed?
What is this "Imp-pant" that you press?
If it's a keyboard key this is usually defined in /root/.jwmrc or in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal or /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2
In this case make sure you restart jwm after the change, for the change to take effect.
rerwin

Re: pdf-writer

#131 Post by rerwin »

FWIW, The lucid pup 5.2.8.6 version of pdf-writer is attached (click to unzip). I may have been the one to fix the problem there. The differences from the precise/tahr pup version:

# diff pdf-writer-precise pdf-writer
15a16
> #130126 correct detection of puppy linux distro.
69c70
< PUPPY_LINUX=`uname -a | grep -ic puppy`
---
> [ -f /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ] && PUPPY_LINUX=1 || PUPPY_LINUX=0 #130126
# 
I see that slacko has a version that appears to be a rewrite. Maybe that is one to use long term, although I have no experience with it.
Richard
Attachments
pdf-writer.gz
Version from lucid pup 5.2.8.6
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
borzeh

Re: Intel driver?

#132 Post by borzeh »

666philb wrote:
hi borzeh,

could you try both the 3.4.103 and 3.16.3 kernels here and see if the problem persists http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... r/kernels/ just unzip and copy the zdrv.sfs and vmlinuz over the installed ones then reboot (preferably with pfix=ram)
hi philb
thank you for your response
i do as you say
but nothing...
///
i have found a temporary way
as install xf86_video_intel , nothing happen
but when uninstall that , intel will appear in xorgwizard menu!!!!
and video playback is going fine! ( but as computer turn off or reboot everything get back to unaccelerated mode!
is there any way to call intel in xorgwizard menu before uninstall that?!
thank you very much
rcrsn51

Re: pdf-writer

#133 Post by rcrsn51 »

rerwin wrote:I see that slacko has a version that appears to be a rewrite.
I had forgotten. Mick has been using my simplified version since Slacko 5.7.
dancingdog777

#134 Post by dancingdog777 »

Thank you 666philb!

Is it possible to have an installed Puppy use the usual Linux convention so that the user is not always root?
luiscuadrado123

#135 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

mavrothal wrote:
If it's a keyboard key this is usually defined in /root/.jwmrc or in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal or /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2
In this case make sure you restart jwm after the change, for the change to take effect.
Hi, sorry, i haven't see your answer before.

I have a question... "Screenshot" section of the program do not apply to the "Impr-Pant" key from keyboard?

what is "screenshot" if it is not the keyboard?

i think that this option change the action of the key... i want the key call the screeny program (or Hotshot that i have installed too)
mavrothal

#136 Post by mavrothal »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
Hi, sorry, i haven't see your answer before.

I have a question... "Screenshot" section of the program do not apply to the "Impr-Pant" key from keyboard?

what is "screenshot" if it is not the keyboard?

i think that this option change the action of the key... i want the key call the screeny program (or Hotshot that i have installed too)
Lets take it from the top and get some answers first so I can understand what is the problem.
1) "Imp-pant" keyboard key was working but was calling mtpaint.
2) Default Applications could not change the default screenshot app to screeny.
3) You changed line 204 as suggested and now Default Applications can change the default screenshot app to screeny.
4) You restarted JWM or X or rebooted
Are all of the above correct ?
And after all these the Imp-pant key is a) dead b) starts mtpaint c) starts screeny?

If 1 through 4 is true then (c) should be the result. If not, specify.

In general the screenshot app is called by key 111 so if your keyboard emits key code 111 when Imp-pant is pressed and /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal and/or jwmrc-personal2 has "exec:defaultscreenshot" for key code "111", the above should work.
watchdog

#137 Post by watchdog »

filemnt fails to mount a lupu_528.005 lightencrypted savefile. Substituting the filemnt script with the one from wary 5.5 I solve the problem. What's wrong in the tahr filemnt script?
luiscuadrado123

#138 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

mavrothal wrote:
Lets take it from the top and get some answers first so I can understand what is the problem.
1) "Imp-pant" keyboard key was working but was calling mtpaint.
2) Default Applications could not change the default screenshot app to screeny.
3) You changed line 204 as suggested and now Default Applications can change the default screenshot app to screeny.
4) You restarted JWM or X or rebooted
Are all of the above correct ?
And after all these the Imp-pant key is a) dead b) starts mtpaint c) starts screeny?

If 1 through 4 is true then (c) should be the result. If not, specify.

In general the screenshot app is called by key 111 so if your keyboard emits key code 111 when Imp-pant is pressed and /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal and/or jwmrc-personal2 has "exec:defaultscreenshot" for key code "111", the above should work.
Hello

Yes, 1-4 is true!!! now in the Deafult Applications show that the current screenshot app is "screeny" (and i tried with hotshot too and nothing)

restart x or rebooted

and when i press Imp-pant key, start mtpaint with the screen taken :(

I try with the "xev" to see what did my Imp-pant and i see that the key call the 111 code, as you say.

in console: "leafpad /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal"

and see as you say:

<Key keycode="111">exec:defaultscreenshot</Key>

and in the leafpad /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2:

<Key keycode="111">exec:defaultscreenshot</Key>

:( :( :(
gjuhasz

BootFlash USB installer issue

#139 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi,

if I run BootFlash USB installer (via Menu > Settings > Puppy installer), it results that the whole (FAT32) partition disappears from the pendrive thus the installation fails.
Sometimes the corrupted pendrive cannot even be repartitioned / reformatted by GParted in Tahrpup 6.0 CE. Fortunately, GParted in Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 succeeds even in these cases. Then, tahrpup can be installed on the same pendrive using bootflash within Upup Precise 3.8.3.1.

I reproduced the behavior using different types of (new and used) pendrives on different types of machines. No exception.

The above resembles an old Ubuntu bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/608382

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

gjuhasz
rcrsn51

#140 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you run bootflash from the command line, you will see the "invalid ldlinux.bss" error message. I believe that this comes from the ancient "makebootfat" tool that bootflash uses.

This issue has been discussed before but I cannot remember if there was a fix other than downgrading syslinux. Or using a different USB installer.