Questions about the Ram Drive

Booting, installing, newbie
Cadejo

Questions about the Ram Drive

#1 Post by Cadejo »

Team,

I have a question on the RAM drive for Puppy Linux. Mostly, I'm interested in what exactly is contained in it.

For instance:
Right now I'm running Tahr Puppy, great! All of the built-in aps via the .SFS are loaded in RAM at boot and run nice and fast.

What I'm getting at is when I remaster with LibreOffice, Libreoffice is most certainly not built into the RAM drive.

Here's the question:
So how does Puppy "know" what to load into the RAM drive?

Thanks in advance.
mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

if you have remasetered the sfs with libreoffice then IF there is enough ram it will indeed be loaded into it.

Its probable that the sfs is now larger than the size recommended for ram loading... and size is the cutoff for loading or not...you could force it but would probably lock up due to a lack of system ram.

It would help if you specified how much ram and swap you have.

mike
Cadejo

#3 Post by Cadejo »

This system has one gig of ram. No physical swap, but the tmpfs is 250 Megs. What's the limitation of the cut off of what gets loaded and what doesn't?
bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

It is not that cut and dry.
Depends on how Puppy is installed.
What it is installed on.

How Puppy works:
http://puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html

Read about the different Pupmodes of operation.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Yep puppylinux has just about every mode of using RAM drive covered, even crazy odd ball ideas That never left. Like UNDERDOG. where we load puppylinux as a layer over a different distro setup so it gets all the benefits of puppylinux and all the fat fluff software inside the other linux distro.
I love the speed so much from RAM drive operations I will max out my RAM capacity before adding any other upgrades. Most bang for the buck/watt.
mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

The cutoff calculation varies.... it aims to give space for loading the sfs, space for a ram tmpfs IF you are live or from usb, and then leave ram for the system to use...oh and there's probably some allocated for /tmp and /dev/shm. The calculation is in the initrd init ... sorry but nowadays you cannot just go and look at it but must unpack the initrd...thats embedded thinking for you :D

But add up what there is and what you need and i bet there is simply not enough to go around with the usual oversized libre office+java+whatever else was felt necessary.... mine is 100MB but then I like speed.

Swap space MAY be added to give more room...again that varies.

Ram may or may not be allocated for addition sfs...again that varies.

You can see if the sfs is loaded to ram by looking for it in /initrd/mnt/tmpfs

mike