Your Local Library: A Great Resource for Beginners

Booting, installing, newbie
Fossil

#21 Post by Fossil »

Just be glad young man :D that you can't recall valve radio's - ah, 'Workers Playtime!" - and 12" green screen TV's! :lol:
Starhawk, just in case the humor doesn't travel well - interpretation being everything - No insult intended!

Burn_IT

#22 Post by Burn_IT »

I remember green screen television and Muffin the Mule. I used to fix valve radios for people.

I first used a PC (IBM PC 7mHz) when I was working on mainframe computers and was on call. When on call (most of the time) I had a 2400bps dial up modem and the PC ran a 3270 emulator so I could dial in and use TSO.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#23 Post by mikeb »

you are all old geeks..... and is was not me in the Tandy shop writing BASIC programs on a TRS-80.

And I never got a shock from a valve base when the power was off or smelt the mains dropper resistor when it was on....and TV was black and white...actually so were the photos for that matter...

mike

Techtardette

#24 Post by Techtardette »

cimarron wrote:If it's not still at the library, you can get it in PDF form here: Linux in 24 Hours

I agree libraries are great. When I was walking (for months) I stopped at libraries almost daily and could pretty much always use a computer and the internet free. A great help.
Thanks cimarron. I can read that in my phone kindle. I walk to the library, but it's getting cold here in Chicagoland. :)
[color=violet]echo t{ech,ardette}[/color]

mikeb

#25 Post by mikeb »

Ah yes... libraries, the free haven for the homeless... I forgot that one.
Did help shorten those long cold days.

mike

Techtardette

#26 Post by Techtardette »

I'm not homeless, but I've called shelters to check availability. By the grace of God, I have a home. It really is where the heart is. Glad to hear those long cold days got warmer. :)

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

Yeah fortunately life does change.... all is comfortable these days...

mike

Techtardette

#28 Post by Techtardette »

I spent my Saturday learning more UNIX and playing. I am frozen in puppy love. :)

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

must be love if you can tolerate pmusic :D

Techtardette

#30 Post by Techtardette »

If only I could figure out the volume controls! Or how to configure my possibility broken speakers I acquired... Then, it might be more than love. I don't have a CD player, so I will be researching these things as the relationship progresses. :) The stock laptop speakers on this Presario can suck my e-balls. Or rather lack there-of. I apologize for the virgin eyes who may misinterpretation my inappropriatenes. This Compact can kiss my cold e-ass too, for overheating. The things we do for love. ;)

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

look out for those little speakers...they come as a bear/water drop/and others...run of the usb power and sound amazing for the size...got one for our lenovo and mp3 player...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H ... ge_o08_s00

shop around...the prices vary wildly....

mike

Techtardette

#32 Post by Techtardette »

Thanks Mike! Speakers are a necessity for me. And at that price.... SOLD! :)

Uten

#33 Post by Uten »

Speaking of libraries. Making one of your own is not so stupid, is it?

http://www.tldp.org/ has a lot of reading material related to linux (obviously..:o) )

This one could also be worth reading ( corebook introduction to TinyCore ) especially if you want to recycle your GPU troubled computer when you get a replacement.

Searching will provide lots of others to.

mikeb

#34 Post by mikeb »

We had wall to wall books here at one point but have slimmed down due to a potential move cos ...man...those things are heavy :D

I find paper and ink so much more readable than screens and glaring white backgrounds manipulated with various input devices.

mike

Uten

#35 Post by Uten »

Ditto that mikeb, I'm kind of a hoarder myself when it comes to computer and engineering related books.

I have the philosophy that it is a lot easier to recover forgotten knowledge when you recover it from the same source ( with lots of personal notes on the pages ). It is unbelievable what you forget during the years *sigh* .I just can not understand people who throw away books they have spent lots of time studying, but thats just me I guess :)

Galbi

#36 Post by Galbi »

Uten wrote:It is unbelievable what you forget during the years *sigh*.
This reminds me of a sign in a wall at the english institute I attended:

“The more you study, the more you learn;
The more you learn, the more you forget;
the more you forget, the less you know;
So, why study?
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Burn_IT

#37 Post by Burn_IT »

I taught my kids that it is more important to know how to look things up than it was to learn things by heart.

I had two walls of books that were moved by others when I needed to use the room for a recovery room and have a bed in it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Techtardette

#38 Post by Techtardette »

Einstein didn't even know his own address. True Story.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

I thought it was Saturday today until I saw the kids leaving school... does that qualify as smart?? I also explained why my weather forecasts had been one day adrift....

So Galbi you suggest universities are for cramming in knowledge of which the vast majority may never be used requiring a relearning curve once the real world is met.... I find that hard to believe!!??

mike

Techtardette

#40 Post by Techtardette »

The more I learn about UNIX, the more I want to remember. I only know pwd, cd, ls, mv, rmdir, mkdir, dmesg conf, and exit. I am on chapter 2 of the UNIX book. Managing files isn't too bad, and God willing, I'd like to write script. Oh, and I use control + L . It's easier than clear. :) UNIX is so much better than html. I am in awe of you all. God bless the library.