I need lots of help with Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
jason_steinberger

I need lots of help with Puppy

#1 Post by jason_steinberger »

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy home page: puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

im pissed (not angry just very frustrated and i figure i can

Post new topic Reply to topic Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Aardvark 1
View previous topic :: View next topic
jason_steinberger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:34 pm Post subject: im pissed (not angry just very frustrated and i figure i can Reply with quote
post here without much reprocusion)
using puppy 2.12 on a dell inspiron 5100 laptop with a p2.4 and a gig of ram and a 30 gig hd with a 2.02g partition and the main partition is about 26 gigs with 23 or so unused at all

Well here goes and sorry if i offend anyone. anyhow was using popget download manager and ran into a problem after a few downloads i started to get a md5 error or not enough space to unzip (thats what it said in a nut shell) i have looked through the forums but there are so many i have no idea which one if any explaine this detail
Also when anyone asks it seems noone can answer (general and puppy related) what wifi (pcmcia) card works off the shelf, in forums (any/all) people just list chipsets and chipset drivers but no brands or models am i completely dislexic? i hope not (i know im not a good speller which i will get into in a bit) so is anyone using a wifi card out of the box? and if so which brand exactly? how bout an out of the box usb wifi thing.
Now for the puppy suport irc channel that i got on after installing, i asked that question and got killed with links to dictionary sites, why is that relavant? well i said that to and the dumb bastard said blah blah blah directories, well im not creating directories im in chat and pissed and frusterated, i just wanted a hint, i am sick of these asshole self proclaimed linux gurus that are so smart and inflexible (why would i need 10 pages of text to tell me how to open an unlocked door? thats what it amounts too)
let me explaine, wlak up to door, or if handicaped roll hoble or squirm just get there, reach the knob, turn pull or push, done thats how a door is opened.
Also, after downloading the few programs i could and some were already installed before from just installing, some of them dont work (i know you guys need legit details for this kind of trouble shooting but all that happened (ill name them all if need be later) was i clicked it, and nothing, cant give much more detail than that)

the reason i went to linux was because i bought that laptop used and no copy of windows came with it and i cant afford a copy right now, but i am savingup now, i stuck with puppy as it has all my other needs met, video is what i mean, i have installed hundred of distros (i shit you not, but i am also including revisions like from fedora 1-5 so there is 5 right there aint tried 6 yet) and not one had codecs yeah i know download them but there is my next gripe.

After seeing ibm has spent millions on linux (suse or fedor?) why is it so hard to install a tar ball and i have read every noob to advanced book out there but they are leaving something out as i am copying right from magazine/book and checking my spelling so they must be taking something for granted, i can hear all the a holes that i was talking about earlier with a hard on waiting to past there replies with youm this or rpm or pupget, but some software is just not in the repositories (right now games is all i can come up with) and i admit i have not watched the video on this site detailing that and i will but i assume that it will fall short, isthere a "master linux home study dvd?" anyone?
how bout a program that we can drg and drop a tarball or source file into and it does what it needs including adding menu items, just a thought for increasing the usability.

not sure what to bring up maybe this is all
but come on look at mac has the 4.x freebsd (i think freebsd) kernel and that is a snap to use hardy like bsd but freindly like ms windows but without the crashes.

oh yeah were is the desktop in the file system? as i tried to rip a cd (that i own) but was not sure where to tell it to store it so my freind said try the desktop well i dont know where that is in the file system so if anyone can enlighten me on this that would be great, or point me to the correct forum.

so if i could get these answered that would be great all questions have to do with puppy as this will be the one i stay with at least till the next revision

oh yead speed, i already gave the speed of my box and my buddy here has a 1.5p with 768 ram and about a year older riped it in less than 15min while i never completed the rip one song took about 4 minutes, so screw the rest and thats with similar setting like a 192 bit rate (i hope i said that right)

other than that everything is fine and if there are any linux gods out there that dont have the to many words to explaine opening a door syndrom
and are somewhat near me i ive in minot nd and i have a car so thats not an issue, id like to keep it under say a 400 mile radius, so this includes canada, south dakota, montana, minissota, etc. and my email address is steinix@gmail.com please and thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Aardvark 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

caesirian

#2 Post by caesirian »

ok man, let us know ur doubts

make a list of ur problems (most detailed as possible)
and we will try to help, but remember: try to give us the most details u can

and be patience

bye and good luck

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, the thing with wireless cards is that Puppy cares about the chipset, not the brand. Any given brand could use any given chipset, and they can change them between models.

Personally, I've had success with a Belkin 54G PCI card using the rt2500 driver, and a Belkin 54G USB card using the rt2500usb driver, both with ndiswrapper. I've never used any pmcia cards, so I can't help you with those. What you should do is try to find a brand that uses a confirmed chipset.

As for the desktop, it isn't a location in the filesystem. We use an XML file (/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin) that stores the location, label, and command for each icon as text. You can drag things to the desktop, but they just make a text entry in that file pointing to the original file.

The "home" area to put stuff in Puppy is /root, which is where the "home" icon goes.

As for speed, that has nothing to do with Puppy's speed, or at least not the speed people refer to. People who say Puppy is fast mean in terms of running speed and app-starting speed. Ripping speed depends on your CD drive, what kind of CD it is, what kind of cable connects your CD drive to your motherboard, and maybe the driver and software used to rip it. The only relevant parts to Puppy are the driver and software. Personally, my ripping speeds haven't seemed strange, but I've never timed them.

I don't use IRC, but I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of morons hung out there. Come to the forum with a problem. We're more civil. And if we aren't, the Great Murga will fix us.....

[explanation type stuff]
The stickiest topic you mention is the issue of installing tarballs. Linux is huge, and run by a bunch of programmers. Don't you think if there was an easy way to do it, it would have been done already? The fact is, it has. Multiple times. That's why there are .rpm and .deb and .pup and pupget. The problem is that the only way the "easy methods" work is if they are used in a standardized system. That's why Debian uses .deb, RedHat uses .rpm, and Puppy uses .pup and pupget. Each distro has a completely different setup, so packages from the other might not work in it. That is harder to deal with. To make it easy, you'd need every distro to follow a standard setup, which is nearly impossible.

I said that .rpm, .deb, .pup, etc. are all versions of the easy way. Tarballs are what happen when the developer either says "forget them, I'll just package it generically" or uses a format that uses the tarball (Slackware I think uses .tgz).

Installing a tarball really isn't that difficult, it's making the program work (or even compile) that's hard. Usually it's just a matter of having the right dependencies, but sometimes a specific distro uses such a different layout that you need to hack it to make it work correctly.
[/explanation type stuff]

If you want to install a binary package, and you know you have the dependencies sorted out, just extract it and place it where it needs to go. Simple. Adding a menu item depends on the windowmanager you're using, and doesn't affect the program, so I won't explain that. Just look up the particular windomanager's menu format, it might even have a gui wizard thing to help you.

For a source package with the dependencies sorted out, you should look for a file called "readme" or "install" for that package's specific process. Most go like this:

Code: Select all

./configure
make
make install
But they aren't all like that, so you should always check the documentation.

Sorting out the dependencies is harder. Many times you can just attempt to run or compile the program and an error message will tell you you're missing something. Get it and try again. Repeat as nescessary. An easier method is to look at the documentation and see if it has a list of dependencies. Also, you might be able to use the command "depmod" (I think) to find them out.

Each dependency might have its own dependencies, so don't be surprised.

Also, a better package format for Puppy is on the back burner. The people working on it just don't have a whole lot of time.

Note for the future: Post each item in its own thread. It makes it easier for people who know the answer to notice it, and it makes it easier for other people who are looking for the answer to find it. And please don't make a duplicate post (which is what this one is, the original has been moved). If you do make a duplicate, have the consideration to copy the message only, not the entire page.

PS. Your problem with running out of space was probably running out of space. Unless installed as an option 2 HD install, or set to use the partition itself to save, Puppy saves inside a savefile. The traditional size was 256MB, but it can be any size desired. If you are running off a USB stick or a SATA harddrive, it will be even more complicated. Your data will be saved to RAM then copied into the save-file every thirty minutes and on rebooting. So, if you used up the space in your save-file or RAM, you would have had that problem. Even though your drive had plenty of space.

PPS. Or your network connection could have messed up.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jason_steinberger

thanks but im even more lost now

#4 Post by jason_steinberger »

should i just reinstall puppy but 4 of them and put each one of them on their own partition? and then install the software i want until the first puppy is full then on to puppy 2 then 3 then 4, but then id have to boot into the puppy with the software i want to use? or is there a better fix to this, i mean it wouldnt be hard to install 4 puppies on 4 different partitions but man that would be pretty bad way to do that and those are going to run out of room fast so realisticaly i should just go to a diferent linux, but then id lose my video
is there a linux distro that just works? anyone have any luck with linspire or xandros? i mean the 50 bucks or so for those 2 aint bad compared to a copy of windows? is there puppy/linux in support even if i have to pay that would be ok just so i have some peice of mind, but then again the price of windows dosent seem to bad, hmmm, i found my answer, im done with computers, sorry and thank you all for your attempt at helping me but im jsut too stupid for linux and to poor for windows, anyone want to buy a laptop? email me at steinix@gmil.com

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

You can resize your save-file. It's under start > utilities > resize personal storage file.

No, we don't have paid support. We do have the forums here, which many have considered extremely helpful. Also, Lobster had a thing going where you could call him (I think for free) but I'm not sure if he's still doing that.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

jason_steinberger

ok, i tried that

#6 Post by jason_steinberger »

after doing that this is the message i got exactly

Sorry, puppy is not currnetly using a personal psrsitant storage file. If this is the fisrst time that you booted puppy, say from a live-cd, you are currently running totally in ram and you will be asked to create a personal storage file when you end the session (shutdown the pc or reboot). Note, the file will be named pup_save.3fs and will be created in a place that you nominate. If you have installed puppy to hard drive, or installed such that personal staorage is an entire partition, then you will not have a pup_save.3fs file either. press ok to exit...

so i pressed ok

so any other ideas?

i dont meen to seem ungratefull im just feeling full, i do apreciate the help and stuff, as i have psted on two diferent forums and seem to be getting some responses in a positive direction. but this just seems silly for it to have a huge linux partition and a fairly decent swap partition and 20 + gigs free but im out of space, so fault me if you wish but me not going forward is not from a lack of effort

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

How are you running Puppy? Is it a full-hd install? Or have you just not rebooted yet?

jason_steinberger

yes it is a hd install

#8 Post by jason_steinberger »

i have puppy 2.12 installed on a 30 gig hd, the linux partition is about 23.602+ gigs of unused space whith puppy using about 335 megs at the point that it said it was full, I know this for a fact as i used part view to check this (clcik > filemanagers > partview) my swap is about 2 gigs+ ram is 1 gig

i realy dont want to get rid of puppy for any other distro right now, as my laptop can at least be used as a dvd player using puppy

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

I just thought of something. Are you sure it was Pupget, not the Dotpup Downloader? I don't think Pupget checks the md5 sum. I also remember something about the Dotpup Downloader giving that error when it tries to download a package that has a broken link. So your problem may be that that package has been removed. There was an option somewhere in it to re-download the list, so try doing that and see if it works. Otherwise, post what packages have that problem, and maybe somebody who still has it can re-upload it and the list can be corrected.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

right now, the forum has been upgraded and none of the dotpup packages that are hosted on the Puppy forum will work ... if you use MU's dotpup downloader program, it will pass an empty file (zero bytes) to the handler script, which will report an error

i think it's more clear what is happening if you click the links directly to download them from the webpage
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DotPups

jason_steinberger

#11 Post by jason_steinberger »

ill check in the morning to see which one it was (pupget or the other, but im fairly certain) but after reading what you said when i was trying to rip a cd it said that it was 500 megs and that there was not enough room (sorry if i havent waited until i made sure but this seems relavent also and it was after using the download, and without firing it up any more tonight (as this may help) it was the package manager with the nice gui and not the one that just looked like a list

raffy

Easing up can help

#12 Post by raffy »

Take it easy - I could see that you've come from testing many distros, and must be tired by the time you tried Puppy.

Puppy is small, and if one version has unexpected problems with your hardware, you can easily try another, an older but more stable version.

Sorry that you've landed the forum when it was being upgraded. This is a free service that John Murga is hosting kindly, and we had some problems with a former host given Puppy's increasing audience.

Right now pupget is being overhauled. You can try it but you can also watch the discussion of pupget at http://puppyos.net/news
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

Pupget is the one with the long list, the DotpupDownloader is the one with the fancy gui.

I don't know why ripping the cd would be a problem. Try opening a terminal window (the icon that says 'console') and type df -h. Then paste the results here. To do that, just highlight them with the mouse, then middle-click the text-area in the forum and it will copy/paste automatically. Then maybe we can get a better idea of what's going on.