how to report bad redirect or malware - later in thread...

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
James C

#21 Post by James C »

Different search engines (Yahoo and Bing), leading to the same pages do not redirect to incorrect sites. Looks like it's Google's problem.
jhecht

#22 Post by jhecht »

James C wrote:Puppy as a community or as this forum has very little control over Google.

And Puppyite,owner of the site in question, has nothing to do with the Puppy Linux community or this forum.
I Googled (hehe) 'notify Google of bugs' and got this URL to report issues:
https://www.google.com/appserve/securit ... w?rl=&key=

It lists 'I want to report something else.' as an option. I'm not sure how to describe the redirect correctly. Can someone help with this?
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline
Semme

#23 Post by Semme »

Personally John, you missed the boat from the get-go.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
James C

#24 Post by James C »

For what good it may do,reported to Google.
jhecht

#25 Post by jhecht »

Semme wrote:Personally John, you missed the boat from the get-go.
Semme, you rise to the top of the snarky (and unhelpful) comments list. Not to mention rude. Why not focus on a possible solution? And why is notifying Google of an issue not logical? Only Google can fix Google, we can't.

We should both thank James C. who at least made the effort to contact Google. What (that's helpful) have you done?
James C

#26 Post by James C »

For future information, bad redirects,etc. can be reported to Google at
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... form?pli=1

malware can be reported at
https://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/

HTH.
jhecht

#27 Post by jhecht »

James C wrote:For future information, bad redirects,etc. can be reported to Google at
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... form?pli=1

malware can be reported at
https://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/

HTH.
Good links James! Perennially useful to all. Many thanks. :)
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#28 Post by Flash »

None of the links, redirects, etc. that have been mentioned so far in this thread have anything to do with this forum, which is all that I have any power to change. Had the "bad" links been posted right away I would have seen that and made it plain from the start. All this could have been avoided. I don't feel like wasting my time researching vague or incomplete reports of bad links found on other websites when there is nothing I can do about them anyway. :?
8Geee

#29 Post by 8Geee »

Sounds like a case for REDIRECT CLEANER.
:twisted: google again.

In other words the OP site puppylinuxfaq dot org is not a part of this community. Interesting how the spammers use org or info.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
slavvo67

#30 Post by slavvo67 »

Flash,

Perhaps this thread would be better suited in the Security section of Puppy? It's not exactly a security threat but it would make a one stop shop for secury type issues. Not sure but just a thought.

Kind regards,

Slavvo67
raffy

#31 Post by raffy »

Yes, a subtitle like "how to report bad redirect or malware" can be useful.

Thanks, Semme and James for you help.

Boy, am I glad that the bad redirect was reported - now I can read something good about me! :shock:

(Caution: Searching for puppy i t e.html still gets the bad URL.)

jhecht, you're a b a d person for recalling in this forum what everyone wants to forget. :lol: (That's in support of Flash*)
----------------------
* "None of the links, redirects, etc. that have been mentioned so far in this thread have anything to do with this forum..."
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
jhecht

Re: report

#32 Post by jhecht »

raffy wrote:Yes, a subtitle like "how to report bad redirect or malware" can be useful.

Thanks, Semme and James for you help.
Do I get thanks too, for reporting a problem? (grin)
raffy wrote:jhecht, you're a b a d person for recalling in this forum what everyone wants to forget. :lol: (That's in support of Flash*)
----------------------
* "None of the links, redirects, etc. that have been mentioned so far in this thread have anything to do with this forum..."
And here I thought I was a g o o d person for trying to help. Flash does great work for the forum, but I feel he's being a bit over sensitive. No, none of the links, redirects, etc. have any >direct< effect on the forum, but they >do< have an effect on Puppy users. If I get negativity rather than appreciation for trying to report issues, I just won't report issues.

I never said I was an expert Puppy user, I'm simply trying to add to the collective info base, and I think the fact that some Puppy links have been compromised is worth knowing. No one else brought up that fact. If anyone wants to change the title (or subtitle) of this thread, or move it to a different part of the forum, you have my blessing. ;)

P.S. - The title or subtitle change to "how to report bad redirect or malware" could not have been made when I first posted the thread, because the info on how to do that was >added< to the thread by others after it was posted. However, the change is still a good idea. If someone can tell me how to do it, I will do so.
L18L

Change title

#33 Post by L18L »

jhecht wrote:However, the change is still a good idea. If someone can tell me how to do it, I will do so.
Login
go to page 1 of this thread
on post 1 click Edit button
Change title
Submit

:wink:
jhecht

Re: Change title

#34 Post by jhecht »

L18L wrote:
jhecht wrote:However, the change is still a good idea. If someone can tell me how to do it, I will do so.
Login
go to page 1 of this thread
on post 1 click Edit button
Change title
Submit

:wink:
Thank you! Change made.

Subject description in 1st post of the thread now reads:
"how to report bad redirect or malware - later in thread..."

I added the "later in thread" so people would know roughly where to look.

Problem is, the subject description is in a tiny font size by default - hard to read, and I doubt it can be changed. (sigh)
anikin

#35 Post by anikin »

jhecht wrote:In browsing Puppy links, I found that some of them have been hijacked by ads for a Canadian erectile dysfunction pill pusher. Very annoying! ...
Annoying it might be, but that's not the worst redirect Puppy can get, if it had a choice. Take it as a sign, the writing on the wall. Someone up there is saying: My little puppians, you have no leadership, your project is dysfunctional, do something about it!
Semme

#36 Post by Semme »

Hey Anikin, you're right. Camaraderie here is shamefully near non-existent. T'sk, t'sk.. Whadda waste..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
raffy

Re: report

#37 Post by raffy »

jhecht wrote:Do I get thanks too, for reporting a problem? (grin)
Yes, right, sorry for forgetting.

Hey, thanks, John. I learned something new in what you reported.

As to "Camaraderie", what's that, Is it like a "coterie" of people in the beach too playful to ask who's boss?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
L18L

#38 Post by L18L »

jhecht wrote:Problem is, the subject description is in a tiny font size by default - hard to read, and I doubt it can be changed. (sigh)
For changing font size any user has just the general CTRL+ and CTRL- for everything...
But I have been thinking you would change text of the "large blue" Subject Some Puppy web links have been hijacked! .
It IS possible.

Now I see that I have called it title and not subject. Sorry, my fault :oops:
No joke, we all should have correct writings. :wink:
jhecht

#39 Post by jhecht »

L18L wrote:
jhecht wrote:Problem is, the subject description is in a tiny font size by default - hard to read, and I doubt it can be changed. (sigh)
L18L wrote:For changing font size any user has just the general CTRL+ and CTRL- for everything...
But I want to change the size of only one line - not everything.
L18L wrote:But I have been thinking you would change text of the "large blue" Subject Some Puppy web links have been hijacked! .
It IS possible.
I can change the >text< of the title, but not the size or color. That is set by the forum. What do you think it should be changed to? I think the title is clear and accurate. Same (now) for the subject line.
L18L wrote:Now I see that I have called it title and not subject. Sorry, my fault :oops:
No joke, we all should have correct writings. :wink:
L18L

#40 Post by L18L »

jhecht wrote:But I want to change the size of only one line - not everything.
That is not possible.
I have bee thinking you would change the contents.

how to report bad redirect or malware
Some Puppy web links have been hijacked!