How to install Puppy to a USB drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
oldbones

How to install Puppy to a USB drive?

#1 Post by oldbones »

Hello everyone. I would really like to install Puppy Linux to a USB drive just to see if i can get used to it and if so then i would definitely install it onto an hard drive. So could someone please point me in the direction of a tutorial to install Puppy to a USB please.

backi

#2 Post by backi »

Hi !
one possibility is.(there are others as well)

1.Burn a puppy iso of your choice to a Dvd or Cd (best rewritable so you can use DVD or CD later for further use)
burn puppy-iso as iso.
Boot DVD -Cd with your puppy....... insert your USB stick -mount it-create a folder on Usb.....give it the name of your puppy or anything else -
copy from DVD-CD following 3 or 4 files into your Puppy folder on USB

init.gz vmlinux puppyxxx.sfs and eventually zdrv-xxxx.sfs .

After copying those files..... look somewhere in menue (maybe in system or Utiliyties)
for a program Grub4Dos .Start it .Follow the steps.
Target is your USB stick . Probably sdbx

Shutdown.... reboot with USB inserted.
You must set your Bios to boot from USB.
If any questions ask for more.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Actually I think if you boot Puppy from a CD, all you have to do is click on the desktop icon labeled Install, then choose to install Puppy. After that, you just follow the prompts.

backi

#4 Post by backi »

Yes that is almost much easier !

In case you want to do system i mentioned above ...you can choose the type of filesystem format (ext3 or ext4) before installing puppy ....you have to format your USB stick with gparted to ext3 or ext4 and make it bootable.Set boot flag before installing the way described above.

Moat

#5 Post by Moat »

Here's one, right at the top of this very sub-forum -

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356
Flash wrote:Actually I think if you boot Puppy from a CD, all you have to do is click on the desktop icon labeled Install, then choose to install Puppy. After that, you just follow the prompts.
I have found this ^^ to be the easiest, fastest and most reliable way of installing Puppy to a USB flash drive - using the two included tools along with gparted, if needed. And you'll always have a copy (CD) of Puppy tucked away for safekeeping.

I also feel that - if the computer's operating system that's currently installed (Windows?) is still servicable, it's best to keep it that way, and just run Puppy normally from the USB stick, as a frugal install - it's designed to run that way, runs really excellently that way, is so easy-peasy to backup and clone, and still allows the use of Windows when needed/wanted (just pull the USB and boot to Windows!).

And frankly, after hanging around the forums here for a while, it seems to me that users who opt for the full install to hard drive end up having more "issues" than USB/frugal installs, that can therefore render the computer completely unuseable. Maybe just me, but sure seems that way. And why wipe a perfectly good existing OS install when it's not necessary?

Save file growth can be an issue with the frugal-to-USB install, but there are some relatively easy workarounds. Here's one rather lengthy thread that discusses some of those issues/fixes -

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110

Bob

backi

#6 Post by backi »

Yes i agree... seems the best not to do full install. Go frugal on USB .
Easy to backup your Save-file.... store it to a save place .....your Puppy installation can be restored in minutes by reinstalling your back-uped save-file.

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

If you don't like having to manage a savefile then use a save directory. This is only limited by available partition space. Some of the later puppies have this option like tahrpup.

Also you can have the distro installed on your hard drive and just use the usb drive to boot from. Make the usb a boot device with grub to choose your preferred distro. Once booted it can be removed. This method is much faster than booting from a usb flash drive.

Another benefit, as it's still technically a frugal install you can use SFS files but it does have to be on a Linux formatted partition.

Cheers

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

My old Gigabyte comp died yesterday....

those 10 year old warranties are crap aren't they?

I have a replacement that I was going to tip...

a M68SM SL2 F3...what a heap of s..t.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=2640#ov

No matter what usb I try and start from...

different ports etc...reloaded the bios defaults...

this AMD giggy crap refuses to load any usb.

In fact it stalls booting..till I take it out and reboot.

Never seen anything like it.

Over 2 days I have spent hours on it.

Chris.

oldbones

#9 Post by oldbones »

Just like to say a great big thanks to everyone who has taken the time out to reply and also their help. Thanks everyone

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

You can best thank us by telling us if any of our advice actually worked. :)

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

@cthisbear -- if you have an external USB CD drive or hard drive, try that. It's really not been that long since motherboards were often not on speaking terms with flash drives ;)

Now, if it won't do USB *anything* that would quite likely be a damaged board.

cthisbear

#12 Post by cthisbear »

" external USB CD drive or hard drive "

Locks up the booting.

::::::::::;

I took the hard drive cables off.

Used front and back ports.

I have at least 12 usbs...over 9 different models.

2 booted...wow.

They didn't always show up in the hard drive >> boot first option
in the bios. Unbelievable results.

Chris.

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

I'd say that it's highly likely the motherboard is damaged... time for a new board ;) hit me with your requirements and I'll find you something good on fleaBay -- I've been told I'm good at that ;)