Fatdog64 Full Install (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
oldbones

Fatdog64 Full Install (SOLVED)

#1 Post by oldbones »

Really considering installing Fatdog64 on my hard drive. The only thing holding me back at the moment is that i haven't seen any posts in the forum about it.
Last edited by oldbones on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

blaze a trail... There are ways to get the benefits of full install without the limits of savefiles etc. Use a save folder and copy files from sfs into it. then remove sfs file from initrd.
Granted I have not done such but if I wanted full install benefits that is how I would do it, as a subfolder within a different linux install.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

You can also have many different subfolders for all your different activities just modify the boot line to match new subfolders. That is the common reason I do not full install, I play.hard and dangerous trying new things, break a lot etc.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

OK works fine, not too convoluted to get here.

first read up on (from current fatdog 700 boot)

[url]file:///usr/share/doc/faqs/huge-initrd.html[/url]

using fatdog-split-initrd.sh and massive amount of free space ( I got 8G so did it in /tmp

clicked on Fatdog64-700rc.iso to get initrd, copied into root. Openned a terminal and ran fatdog-split-initrd.sh

Code: Select all

fatdog-split-initrd.sh initrd /tmp
it unpacked and moved stuff around.... many many minutes later ended up with new initrd and fd64.sfs

copied new initrd to grub boot area, opened fd64.sys by clicking on it and when up a directory to +mnt+sda5+fi+fd700a+fd64+sfs folder

copied that folder to /mnt/sda3 (which has version of April64 on a ext4 )

when finished I renamed it FullDog700

edited my grub config..

waitdev=3 savefile=direct:device:sda3:/FullDog700 dofsck

booted.. it complained about no fd64.sfs but booted fine. Had issue with starting run-as spot apps like icon for seamonkey but I edited out run as spot and problem cleared.

Like the speed.. :!: and the memory shows I have 44G of space left so that works great.

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

edit /etc/defaultprograms

delete -spot leaving

DEF_BROWSER="seamonkey"
DEF_DRAW="mtpaint"
DEF_HTMLEDITOR="seamonkey -edit"
DEF_HTMLVIEWER="defaultbrowser"
DEF_IMAGEVIEWER="fotoxx"
DEF_MEDIAPLAYER="vlc"
DEF_PAINT="mtpaint"
DEF_PROGRAM="xdg-open"
DEF_SPREADSHEET="gnumeric"
DEF_TERM="urxvt"
DEF_TEXTEDITOR="geany"
DEF_WORDPROCESSOR="abiword"
DEF_MAIL="seamonkey-spot -mail"

if you use mail then that last line needs editing.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

new grub line to speed up booting,

linux vmlinuz  waitdev=3 savefile=direct:device:sda3:/FullDog700 basesfs=none dofsck 
added basesfs=none so that it does not try to look for fd64.sys still functions same, boots fine and faster to desktop.

I have this on a slowly performing laptop (CPU) , the uncompressed and all on hard drive nature speeds up this nicely, and its getting faster since I have it on a hybrid SSD seagate drive and its learning what files I use a lot. In a few weeks it should be really fast. ( wish seagate would let us "prime the pump" per say )

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

redid it for a new hard-drive and used BIOS and grub4dog

timeout 5
title fatdog700
root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/boot.org/vmlinuz rootfstype=ramfs savefile=direct:device:sda5:/fatdog700  basesfs=none dofsck waitdev=4 
initrd (hd0,4)/boot.org/initrd

title April7
root (hd0,4)
kernel (hd0,4)/april7/vmlinuz
initrd (hd0,4)/april7/initrd rootwait rw

liking the speed alot. :wink:

renamed April7's initrd.q to initrd so fatdog could open it and get the q.sfs (which fatdog can open like its own ) so plan to do the same to 'install' April7 as I did for Fatdog700 but as main directory.

only way to get April7 to run on this Win8 EFI normally boot machine.