setting pup clock

Booting, installing, newbie
dcc701

setting pup clock

#1 Post by dcc701 »

Have searched but not found yet a good step-by-step on how to set the pup clock well. I'm in tahr frugal on usb.

The "help" button in "psync time server synchronisation" isn't really a how-to but rather an explanation of how the software works.

My pup desk clock shows local time. My hwclock agrees with it. Both indicate GMT-8 (correct, I believe). Still, Palemoon does the "future" error thing
"(Error code: sec_error_ocsp_future_response)"
on a lot of pages and won't load them. I'll futz with the time settings a bit, and sometimes those Palemoon pages will work after I do this, and then they won't later again. (No problem on Chrome with same pages.)

My understanding of the clock setting is basically this:
1. using menu/desktop/psync pick north america. I think I clicked autosync too the last time.
2. then (next to psync in menu) choose Set Date and Time and set the date and hour to local time (because minutes seem synced already). I'm assuming this is what they mean by "software clock".
3. then in terminal give command "hwclock -w" which sets the hardware clock to the system clock.

But when I do this, the Palemoon pages still have the "future" error. Am I fundamentally misunderstanding something? At least I have a decent time visible. Would like to know if this is truly a clock issue or just a Palemoon issue.

I rebooted to see if would help, the pup-set desktop clock autosnyced to GMT (or some other non-local future hour) and initially I was able to load a problematic Palemoon page. I reset desktop clock back to local and saved. Getting same problem in Palemoon pages again.
bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Do it in this order:

Menu/Desktop/Set Timezone, first set your Timezone geographically.
The US time zones are under US in the list.

You must now reboot to make the setting active. This is before running Psync

1. using menu/desktop/psync pick north america.
(If psync gives you a good setting you can select autostart to have it check the time servers at each bootup.)

If this does not give you a good time setting.

2. Menu/Desktop/choose Set Date and Time and set the date and hour to local time

Over time you can see how well the internal clock keeps time.
If it drifts off too much you may need psync autostart to keep it adjusted when you boot up.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
dcc701

#3 Post by dcc701 »

Thanks bigpup--I was bypassing Set Timezone because I had set it on initial pup setup, and it showed sth like "Los Angeles, GMT-8" in the Set Timezone window, so I didn't bother resetting it.
However, in looking down the drop menu of places and times, I noticed that the "Los Angeles, GMT-8" was not a choice--at least anymore--in the dropdowns. There were "America/Los Angeles" and "US Pacific" instead. I picked the former and now psync and autosync seem to be working accurately, on reboot as well. With the old (I presume defective) zone I was using, psync was catapulting my clock 15 hours into the future, as if I were in Bangkok!
I believe the problem is solved.
mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

There was a problem with the GMT settings not making the needed symlink in /etc to localtime .. due to the @ symbol in the list of options not being dealt with..the named zones work ok.

I say was ..this was in Lupu 525 and I assume it would have been fixed by now...but you never know.

mike
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

FWIW, I get the correct time at time.gov.
Uten

#6 Post by Uten »

I open a terminal and use:

Code: Select all

ntpdate xx.pool.ntp.org
Replace xx with your countrycode. I'm not aware of how different timezones in us, ru and others are specified. Maybe someone else could elaborate?