fuel line disolving

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
8-bit

fuel line disolving

#1 Post by 8-bit »

I have a field mower. After the first initial use of it, the fuel line started to soften and dissolve to where pieces of it were plugging up the carburetor.
The first time, the mower was under warranty and a fuel shutoff was added.
But the fuel line problem persisted. I replaced it with a new one that also dissolved.
Then I noticed the lines were made overseas. I am replacing it this time with a fuel line that says made in USA.

And hoping for the best,

So... Do I blame bad fuel line or that unleaded fuel we get in the USA that contains corn and is nicknamed gasohol?

bark_bark_bark

Re: fuel line disolving

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

8-bit wrote:Do I blame bad fuel line or that unleaded fuel we get in the USA that contains corn and is nicknamed gasohol?
I don't anything about mowers, but blame it on the gasohol if the mower is old.

For the people with cars that are 20+ years old, that stuff will mess it up.

Barkin

Re: fuel line disolving

#3 Post by Barkin »

8-bit wrote:So... Do I blame bad fuel line or that unleaded fuel we get in the USA that contains corn and is nicknamed gasohol?
I think it's the ethanol in the fuel which dissolves the plastic ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ethanol+resistant+fuel+line+small+engine

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes, if you are near a lake get E0 for boats, no ethanol, otherwise stick with super ( typically less E )

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

Is it something fancy or can you just make it out of stuff from the autoparts store?

Ask for fuel line that is made for a fuel injected car. It will stand up to gasohol. If it needs to turn, then you can use the brass elbows (with barbs) and hose clamps from the hardware store.

p310don

#6 Post by p310don »

I sell a fuel line for mowers that is made in USA called Tygon. Good stuff. Isn't affected by the fuel.

I see heaps of cheap rubbish being passed off as fuel line, even on the original equipment.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Tygon is high-grade stuff. Also, anything sold as fuel hose by a name-brand car or motorcycle dealership should work fine for any kind of engine. By the way, I doubt that ethanol dissolved the hose.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

The phrase fit for purpose springs to mind here!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Sounds like the wrong stuff for the fuel line...probably would have dissolved or swollen whatever the fuel. Neoprene..nitrile and other synthetic rubbers .... sounds to me like it was natural rubber.
A bit like using non UPVC outdoors.

But on the other hand the alcohol(s) used to make biodiesel thinner were a problem with some fuel system materials ... so an open book on the subject...

One mans inert substance is another mans solvent.... especially if the source country is not actually using said fuel.

I could go on about sea toilet diaprams and the ones that don't like white vinegar which limits descaling options...but you may be sitting down for your dinner :D

mike

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

I would have thought that urine could be almost as acidic as vinegar??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Hmm well me not a chemist but apparently white vinegar used to dissolve limescale if left for a day or so was making the seals in the pumps that came with lavac loos go squigy.... one particular brand it seems.

Yes urine and saltwater are not exactly 'nice' are they :D

I don't want to upset it... its not fun to play with believe me....saying that I have a new ball valve and hose to fit... non rottable uPVC time :) I may dress up like a surgeon for that job.

On the topic it certainly would be not a good idea to use biodeisel or veggie oil on the boats 40 year old engine... as any rubber like materials would almost certainly react badly....so perhaps we are witnessing a similar problem related to 'new' fuels.

mike

wboz

#12 Post by wboz »

OP mentioned it was under warranty. Very unlikely a new mower is designed to not handle ethanol up to 15%. I guess you should check the owners' manual to make sure; my lawn mower has some warning about maximum ethanol %. It'd be pretty foolish to sell a mower than can't take normal pump gas, you're just asking for customer dissat.

BUT! If you live in a state where higher blend is used commonly (are there any?) or where E85 is available and you inadvertently put that in your mower because that's what you've been putting in your GM car for years, then that could definitely cause damage. If that's the case, then there's probably other rubber parts damaged too.

Assuming ethanol is <15%, though, it's posssssssible the hose was incorrectly specced, or if this was purchased through a dealer that the dealer swapped out the hose (maybe the original was damaged somehow in transit). In which case a correct material hose should be all you need.

Keisha

dissolving fuel line remedies

#13 Post by Keisha »

Go to any marine supply store and get this:
http://www.gates.com/products/industria ... cg-type-a1

Or, if not near the sea or Portland, go to any industrial hose supply store and get some fuel hose rated for B100 (100% biodiesel):
http://www.genosgarage.com/3_8-DIA-HEAV ... SaeKBcRc6I

SAE J1527 is the spec you want:
http://standards.sae.org/j1527_201102/

Don't use Heet or other similar methanol-based fuel additives.

Ethanol-free gasoline, which most marinas carry, is a good idea. My local agricultural co-op carries it too (Snohomish, Washington).

Most automotive fuel lines as they came from the factory prior to about 1995 or so were not spec'ed to handle ethanol-blended gasoline. I had to replace everything rubber from the fuel tank to the injector pump on my 1993 Ford Ranger. I presume the same is true for vintage farm equipment.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

8-bit

#14 Post by 8-bit »

After further searching, I found that the mixture that makes up gasohol is not stable and the components of it will separate after a period of time.
So in my case, I plan to drain all the fuel from the mower when it will not be used for a while.
I am still unsure about the fuel stabilizer that is sold as to how long it would prevent fuel breakdown.
Also. if fuel stabilizer keeps the fuel from breaking down, why is it not added in the manufacture of the fuel?

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

because 99.9% of gas in the world only exists after refining for less than a month before turn over. You used to be able to get E0 gas at the citgo branded stores ( south america ) due to the lack of USA kick back to foreign dictators to add E. But with Obama changes allow the kickback if final gas is refined in USA. So no E0 gas by default now.

Keisha

#16 Post by Keisha »

8-bit wrote:After further searching, I found that the mixture that makes up gasohol is not stable and the components of it will separate after a period of time.
So in my case, I plan to drain all the fuel from the mower when it will not be used for a while.
I am still unsure about the fuel stabilizer that is sold as to how long it would prevent fuel breakdown.
Also. if fuel stabilizer keeps the fuel from breaking down, why is it not added in the manufacture of the fuel?
Stabil is good stuff. Marine Formula Stabil is even better and local marinas (Puget Sound) sell a lot of it. My significant other owns a 35-foot vintage-1958 ChrisCraft cabin cruiser. Twin Chevy 327 V-8's. Marine Stabil added to its two 70-gallon tanks keeps the fuel good from the boat's last use in October til first use in May. However, it is not a direct comparison with your situation because the boat gets non-ethanol gasoline. I've never tried Stabil in an overwintered piece of farm machinery, but I know a guy who owns a vintage Corvette, which is a garage queen, he drives it maybe a dozen times a year, he says that Stabil works. It is of course expensive though, which is why gasoline retailers don't add it. Why should they add an expensive ingredient that would allow you to buy in bulk whenever the price fluctuates low due to global politics? Do you think they're in business for charity?

Incidentally, to remove the fuel line gunk from both injected and carbureted systems, the best stuff (well, other than physically taking it all apart and spraying it with Gumout) is Red Line SI-1. Use sparingly, an ounce in 5 gallons of gasoline is enough.

I would be surprised if your local ag co-op doesn't sell non-ethanol, or at least can refer you to a station that does.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

Blind response... Its the alcohol content. A lot of gas stations have reported adding a lot of it. I have read articles in the local paper a few months ago that certain area stations tested 17% alcohol. High alcohol content will indeed damage the small engine and its fuel parts. To boot, the gov't mandate is loosely written, as long as its 10% alcohol (or better) or so called 85 blend (15%). Did I mention tthat small engine repair is good for the economy? :roll:
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."