Issues and partial success with Nvidia GeForce Go 7600

Using applications, configuring, problems
rebbi1

Issues and partial success with Nvidia GeForce Go 7600

#1 Post by rebbi1 »

Hi, Puppers!
I have been banging my head against the wall for weeks trying to get fully functioning video on a Windows Vista era HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop with an nvidia GeForce Go 7600 graphics card. Not one of the various proprietary Nvidia drivers for Linux has worked under any flavor of Linux, even Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS (which is supposed to have great gfx card support). Most just give a black screen on reboot. Some (like the xorg-edgers PPA drivers) boot me to a command prompt. The best I'm able to do is get to a 1024 x 768 resolution under the nouveau open source driver.
I even tried reinstalling Vista Home Premium on this machine and even the Nvidia driver from HP didn't work but sent the computer promptly into a BSOD on boot!
But... not on Puppy Tahr, but only on Precise 5.7.1, the unaccelerated modesetting driver will get me to the full 1440 x 900 widescreen resolution!
So the question is, why won't any more up to date version of Puppy work? Is this a matter of the kernel or something else? And have any of you gotten one of the Puppy Nvidia drivers to work with this gfx card?
Thanks for any insights!

L18L

Re: Issues and partial success with Nvidia GeForce Go 7600

#2 Post by L18L »

rebbi1 wrote:... but only on Precise 5.7.1, the unaccelerated modesetting driver will get me to the full 1440 x 900 widescreen resolution!
So the question is, why won't any more up to date version of Puppy work?
I cannot answer your question, you should ask the devs of these "more up to date" versions.

My experience:
It is also Quirky-7.0.3 that gets me OOTB to maximal available resolution (1920x1080) using modesetting driver.
Both systems are made by PuppyMaster BarryK himself.

Other systems need some configuration, xrandr

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

I had a similar experience with installing a game on a Dell PC. I got a message that full screen was not supported on the PC.
But other games worked with full screen.
The was with the on board intel video on the GigaByte board.
I was using it for a little while after having the screen wash out to a brownish overlay that happened while I was as the PC.
I ordered another Nvidia GForce card and have it installed.
I had to shut down driver auto update in Windows 7 though as it kept wanting to update the driver and gave issues afterward.
I installed Gforce Experience that keeps the driver up to date though.
And that game that had problems with the Intel card now works fine.
Have you did any tweeking of the card with the Nvidia control app?

L18L

Re: Issues and partial success with Nvidia GeForce Go 7600

#4 Post by L18L »

rebbi1 wrote:...
But... not on Puppy Tahr, ...
rebbi, you made me curious about Puppy Tahr.
Installed Puppy Tahr 6.0.2 frugal.
black screen for ever.

Thus Puppy Tahr is not for me (or my computer),
and i will continue to take the ones that run, Precise, Quirky and Fatdog.
Fatdog is the one that needs config for wide screen (zarfy is the GUI for this).

linuxcbon

#5 Post by linuxcbon »

hi rebbi1,
best choice is to use the "nouveau" driver, it should work.
If not, with geany open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and modify with 1440x900.
cheers
ps : let's try to stay on track and answer his question.