Quirky April 7.0 - 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.4.1

Please post any bugs you have found
linuxcbon

#561 Post by linuxcbon »

Bindee wrote:Do you see that as a good or bad thing?
Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.
Who cares ? Derivatives builders do what they want, it's their business, it's called freedom in linux or gpl. Here is to post bugs about quirky april.

Bindee

#562 Post by Bindee »

linuxcbon wrote:Who cares ? Derivatives builders do what they want, it's their business, it's called freedom in linux or gpl. Here is to post bugs about quirky april.

So you are saying Barry shouldn't have expressed an opinion in this thread, How rude.

Stop trying to think on his or anyone else's behalf and you are a hypocrite for posting an opinion when you say its a post bugs only thread.

One rule for you and a different one for everyone else it seems.

:roll:
Last edited by Bindee on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.

linuxcbon

#563 Post by linuxcbon »

Bindee wrote:So you are saying Barry shouldn't have expressed an opinion in this thread, How rude.
Stop trying to think on his or anyone else's behalf and you are a hypocrite for posting an opinion when you say its a post bugs only thread.
One rule for you and a different one for everyone else it seems.
Your stupid answer says all about you. Bye.

Sage

#564 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that comfirmation, James!

James C

#565 Post by James C »

Sage wrote:Thanks for that comfirmation, James!
No problem.

Blackfish

#566 Post by Blackfish »

Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.
Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.
People can do whatever they want, no problem. I support and advocate people doing whatever they bloody well please, so long as it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. I have no complaints there -- but so, too, can I do as I bloody well please. That being said... As for me, I prefer to stick to the original Pup stuff and steer clear of the unPup stuff for the most part. The original Pup stuff is 100% user friendly, rock solid, and is loved and supported by a good community. It never fails me. That, alone, is, to my mind, what a good operating system is all about. And it does it all in around two hundred megabytes, is arguably the fastest operating system in the world, I could go on and on... Who could ask for more? And why on earth would you ask for anything less?

As for the unPup stuff, it's cool and it has it's place, too. I do explore and use some of it. But much of it is headed away from the original Pup ideas, and some of them I would go as far as saying I don't even recognize them anymore. That's all right, too, but if one is going to head in another direction, it should be to the good, and not to become a rabid, feral dog just for the sake of being different. When that happens, and it often does, that's just not for me. Just my two cents.

And, yes, so true, this is a place for posting Quirky bugs. And my Quirky bug is figuring out what in the world happened to Quirky Tahr. Is Quirky Tahr a goner?
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0

Sage

#567 Post by Sage »

No problem.
Ah, well, not quite! What you describe is above my pay grade, so will need to wait on BK to re-issue a fixed version.

gcmartin

#568 Post by gcmartin »

@BarryK we could use your help. Its about a system comand which has been around since the dawn of time in Linux (actually Unix in 1983).

It is updatedb/locate.

As you are aware, this single command allows developers (user too) to find files in an instant instead of the wait we has been customary in PUPs for decades.

2 PUP members, namely @Stemsee and @Musher0, have extended its use and both of their solutions are located in the forum. You need not implement their solution, your choice, but for all of us, the updatedb/locate is at a time when we have so many files and this command would greatly help as it makes "locates" instanteneous. Wikipedia here

The benefit: it is in the base system along with the many other Linux commands we use. This one is missing.

In reality I feel that this missing command is an oversight as its benefit in the system is all too obvious.

Please consider help for future releases. Thx

Billtoo

Quirky April 7.0.3 final

#569 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the April64-7.0.4.iso to a dvd.
Switched to FbBox-2.0 and made other changes (icon set,font size etc.)
Added some applications.
Saved to a CD-RW.

Distro: Quirky April64 7.0.4
Desktop Panel: fbpanel 6.1
Window Manager: Openbox 3.5.2
Desktop Start: xwin openbox-session

Development:
Bash: 4.2.53
Geany: 1.24.1
Gtkdialog: 0.8.3
Perl: 5.20.0
Yad: 0.27.0
--
busybox: 1.22.1
dhcpcd: 6.6.2
GlibC: 2.20
OpenSSL: 1.0.1m 19 Mar 2015, built on: Sat Mar 21 15:57:03 2015
wpa_supplicant: 2.2
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(136.88 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#570 Post by BarryK »

Yes guys, there is a problem with the x86 live-CD.

I have uploaded 7.0.4.1, as described in a comment posted here:

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00195

There other fix is correct language translation at first bootup.

These are the .mo files currently built-in to Quirky (in woofQ), in usr/share/locale:

da/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
da/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
de/LC_MESSAGES/delayedrun.mo
de/LC_MESSAGES/installquirky.mo
de/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
de/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
el/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
es/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
es/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
fr/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
fr/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
nl/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
nl/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
pl/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
pl/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
pt/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
ru/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
ru/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
tr/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo

If any translators want to review/update those, using MoManager, or add new ones, please do.
Note, I will also include 'delayedrun.mo' if provided.

I currently have translation flags for these:

da de el en es et fi fr hu it nl pl pt ru sv tr

So, initially would like to get .mo files for these.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

sdsds

#571 Post by sdsds »

A quick install report:
Quirky 7.0.4.1 onto a hd partition of a Nehemiah-based system went perfectly. Thanks!
Attachments
capture22037.png
(119.96 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

zygo

#572 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Would you, kindly, consider adding some of Geany's official plugins http://plugins.geany.org/ as standard in April or as pets.

Pohelper usefull for translators. And Spellcheck. Also:

Addons
Geanyextrasel
Geanyinsertnum
Geanylua
Geanymacro
Pairtaghighlighter
Shiftcolumn
Devhelp

Z

ozcjp

#573 Post by ozcjp »

Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.

Don't knock the puplets, they are saying something important.
Along with the stated goals of puppy ( http://puppylinux.com/about.htm ) there is another goal that is not always recognised, but has been well and truly met, namely, to create a framework for rapidly building special-purpose systems. The "puplets" ( or "non-puppies, if you prefer ) are just public examples of what I suspect are a vast array of systems, each tailored to a specific task, be it intrusion testing of networks, backing up on the fly, cold booting, you name it. Most of them will never see the light of day, but they all depend on the simplicity and stability that BK created. ( Barry, take a bow please...)
As a simple example; your friend's M$ machine has some sort of hernia and refuses to play. You take you trusty puppy CD, boot it up, and recover all those priceless photos from My Pictures, earning undying gratitude in the process.
A more complex version: install an embedded toolchain onto a running puppy, get all the paths right so that everything works, then re-master th puppy. You have just saved yourself hours of work for the next time you need to work on the code in that embedded device. I could go on, but some of the examples would probably get me into trouble for disclosing proprietory information. So don't knock the puplets, they are pointers to something much bigger.
And yes, I believe this is the right forum to discuss the matter. This is for feedback on the quirky system, probably read by BK himself. And it may just be that with what he is doing with quirky he is taking puppy to another level entirely, and if in the process our inane chatter inspires him in any way at all to keep at it, well, so much the better.

Sage

#574 Post by Sage »

I have uploaded 7.0.4.1
Many thanks.

technosaurus

#575 Post by technosaurus »

gcmartin wrote:@BarryK we could use your help. Its about a system comand which has been around since the dawn of time in Linux (actually Unix in 1983).

It is updatedb/locate.
FWIW this was part of the 4.3 edition that used zigbert's awesome stardust desktop (not sure what happened to it since). updatedb/locate is (or was) also an essential part of gtkdialog that was broken in puppy for ages, but IIRC there is now a somewhat hacky patch in gtkdialog4+ that works around missing locate. I wrote a different hack for gtkdialog1 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 798#602798

The only downside to including updatedb/locate, is that either the iso is larger (by including the db) or the first boot is slower because it has to be built (similar to updating module and icon databases)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gcmartin

#576 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Technosaurus. Many of all the 64bit distros has the combo commands. The commands themselves do not occupy any real size, but, I agree that after arrival upon desktop and when it is first used, that first use will be as a normal find command, while it builds the first db. After which its locate operations would be instantaneous on an up to date db. I don't think a shipped db would be as useful as one which db builds after the system is started and in use with any open local drives. Further, if @BarryK does review the work done by those developers I mentioned, he may opt for the "slocate" along with updatedb. Any or both would be welcomed. I am aware of a past paper which concluded that developers search for files at a much greater rate, than ordinary users. I think we all understand why.

@BarryK,
There is a problem that I think you are already aware with the install utility. I used the 64bit version for 7041 and had 2 issues on the UEFI full install to USB flash:
  1. I selected my USB which was sdc and a utility message screen subsequently indicated it was writing to sdb which at the moment did not exist on my PC.
  2. Later, the utility aborted as unable to write
Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

locate/updatedb

#577 Post by L18L »

technosaurus wrote:The only downside to including updatedb/locate, is that either the iso is larger (by including the db) or the first boot is slower because it has to be built (similar to updating module and icon databases)
Example for time and space:

Code: Select all

# locate --limit 3 spot
# time updatedb

real	0m21.210s
user	0m20.127s
sys	0m1.413s
# 
# locate --limit 3 spot
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/etc/network-setup/access/wlan0-KDWLANHotspot+
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/root/spot
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/root/spot/.adobe
# 
# ls -l /var/lib/locate/locatedb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2772231 Apr 30 10:34 /var/lib/locate/locatedb
#
Thus including db would make increase size about 2.7M
or (better in my opinion) launch updatedb & at bootup backgrounded.

So yes, inclusion of locate/updatedb seconded.

xanad

#578 Post by xanad »

BarryK wrote: If any translators want to review/update those, using MoManager, or add new ones, please do.
Note, I will also include 'delayedrun.mo' if provided.
it/LC_MESSAGES/delayedrun.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/installquirky.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
Attachments
MO-files.tar.gz
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
[url]http://www.xanad.tk[/url] Html5 Parallax

OscarTalks

#579 Post by OscarTalks »

First time testing Quirky, live CD of April 7.0.4.1

Might be worth considering compiling latest gtkdialog which is 0.8.4 r514 or something like that I believe. I think you may have to get the source via svn checkout though.
http://code.google.com/p/gtkdialog/source/checkout

The advert blocker needs attention with not only missing icons but the Mvps thing is broken and Technobeta is long dead. I did sort all these things out in Puppy some time back. Tested this version 0.5b that I have and it looks OK at a glance. There was a different version for Woof-CE but I think that is no good for Quirky. Clicking the "Edit" button after running the blocker is a quick and easy way to see what changes have been made to the "hosts" file.
Attachments
pup-advert-blocker-quirky.jpg
Modified advert blocker in April 7.0.4.1
(100.67 KiB) Downloaded 1133 times
pup-advert-blocker-0.5b.pet
Is this any good?
(4.48 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Oscar in England

BarryK
Puppy Master

#580 Post by BarryK »

ozcjp wrote:
Bindee wrote:

Don't knock the puplets, they are saying something important.
Along with the stated goals of puppy ( http://puppylinux.com/about.htm ) there is another goal that is not always recognised, but has been well and truly met, namely, to create a framework for rapidly building special-purpose systems. The "puplets" ( or "non-puppies, if you prefer ) are just public examples of what I suspect are a vast array of systems, each tailored to a specific task, be it intrusion testing of networks, backing up on the fly, cold booting, you name it. Most of them will never see the light of day, but they all depend on the simplicity and stability that BK created. ( Barry, take a bow please...)
As a simple example; your friend's M$ machine has some sort of hernia and refuses to play. You take you trusty puppy CD, boot it up, and recover all those priceless photos from My Pictures, earning undying gratitude in the process.
A more complex version: install an embedded toolchain onto a running puppy, get all the paths right so that everything works, then re-master th puppy. You have just saved yourself hours of work for the next time you need to work on the code in that embedded device. I could go on, but some of the examples would probably get me into trouble for disclosing proprietory information. So don't knock the puplets, they are pointers to something much bigger.
And yes, I believe this is the right forum to discuss the matter. This is for feedback on the quirky system, probably read by BK himself. And it may just be that with what he is doing with quirky he is taking puppy to another level entirely, and if in the process our inane chatter inspires him in any way at all to keep at it, well, so much the better.
Yes, my comment was spur-of-the-moment.

I think it is healthy to have a lot of diversity and individuals being given freedom to create.

Actually, what prompted my comment was the post from someone who was confused about where to download Quirky.
It is easy for someone to come along to the forum for the first time, and think that Quirky is a release of Puppy.
Ditto for some of the other derivatives that use this forum.

I wonder if there is any way to clarify this, without kicking all the derivatives out?
A separate section for the "official" Puppy releases? -- like, a big dividing line, one side is the official pups, the other side anything goes.

...I dunno, just thinking "out loud".

Just to clarify, this is John Murga's forum, not managed by me in any way.
There is a thread recently started, asking who is John Murga -- I just saw the title, haven't read it.
Way back in the first couple of Puppy-years, I ran Puppy forums, but I found it difficult to do, as well as be a developer. John offered to do it, and said that he was prepared to stick it out for the long haul -- which he has, both hosting and managing the forum, though he is very hands-off as he has a busy job.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]