Where is menu.lst for tahrpuppy 6.0.2 frugal install?

Using applications, configuring, problems
reedman

Where is menu.lst for tahrpuppy 6.0.2 frugal install?

#1 Post by reedman »

I have a frugal install of the above (puppy tahr 6.0.2) to a 16gb sandisk flash memory drive saving to a folder on the drive utilizing a ext2 filesystem. Everything is working fine. I want to make some changes to menu.lst, and I am ashamed to say that although I am not new to puppy, I cannot for the life of me seem to locate it. Pfind found nothing "menu." The changes I want to make are trivial: add pfix=ram and make sure pfix=fsck is the last entry. Head low, and with abject apologies, will someone help me find this file? Or has something changed in the way the booting is accomplished with this current distro of puppy, and boot time parameters are stored elsewhere or configured differently? Many thanks.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

If you installed grub4dos in the mbr of the main Hd you should look in the / dir of some partition of your main Hd. If you boot straightway the flash memory without grub4dos there is not a menu.lst to edit: if you have used universal installer and syslinux mbr to the flash drive, for example, you should look for a syslinux.cfg in the flash drive and append your wanted options there.

reedman

menu.lst

#3 Post by reedman »

Thanks, watchdog. I am not using my HDD; only booting with/from flash. I did use the universal installer. I did a pfind search on my tahrsave folder. No syslinux.cfg file present. However, I noticed the file extlinux.conf, opened it in geany, and found a line which read:

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy

...and changed it to...

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy,ram,fsck

Will this work? Is this the file that tahrpup uses on bootup?

watchdog

Re: menu.lst

#4 Post by watchdog »

reedman wrote: append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy

...and changed it to...

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy,ram,fsck

Will this work? Is this the file that tahrpup uses on bootup?
I suggest only:

Code: Select all

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy,fsck
If you want to boot live mode without savedir:

Code: Select all

append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram

reedman

menu.lst

#5 Post by reedman »

Many thanks for your help, watchdog. I will post back later today with results after reboot.

reedman

menu.lst

#6 Post by reedman »

Yep. I have just rebooted, with an fsck performed automatically, so the extlinux.conf file was the one to edit. Thanks again.