Screen tearing

Using applications, configuring, problems
-_-

my favorite subject

#41 Post by -_- »

hmmm the pipeline fix mentioned by bindee re fatdog, do i need certain dependencies/programs and will it work only with fatdog? I am a 5.28-4 user and love it if not the screen tearing (firefox, youtube)
I mean sorry for the idiot question but is pipeline its own compositioning program or a part of something else.... please enlighten the dumb one, and much appreciated is your help, goes w/out saying....

bigpup

#42 Post by bigpup »

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-4 was a development testing version of Lucid Puppy. It did have bugs.

The finished version was Lucid 5.2.8-005
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

That one has now been updated to Lucid 5.2.8.6
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Graphics drivers for Lucid 5.2.8.6
Because of the way this got updated and the person that did it, was not the original developer of Lucid Puppy.
The graphics driver pets are listed in the 3rd posting in this Lucid 5.2.8.6 topic.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

-_-

#43 Post by -_- »

^appreciate your tip, but did not sadly work. So it is not about the bugginess of the OS.

I tried a Linux mint 64-bit with kde desktop environment - adjusting the window manager (v-blank/opengl) settings to "full repaint" got rid of tearing even with no Nvidia driver installed. However, using Mint would kill this laptop, due to severe overheating; even the factory-installed Vista can be rough in this respect sometimes, Puppy on the other hand is cool as ice.

So, some script that would force repaint/redraw just might work.
"Force pipeline" script did not do the job.

terrapin231

Video Tearing Compiz Solution

#44 Post by terrapin231 »

Hi, I note this thread has been parked up for a while but as I'd been having trouble throughout recent months with video tearing in Puppy distros and found a solution, I'm reporting it here, I have a Lenovo G500 laptop (Intel 3rd Gen graphics) and was getting video tearing in flash (youtube) And generally unsmooth scrolling with what I can only describe as screen 'scroll rippling'. None of it was enough for me to ditch Puppy (having tried Slacko and tahr), just irritating. After digesting this thread and others searching for various solutions, hints and suggestions I tried Fatdog64 700. It works like a charm on my Lenovo, out of the box - no screen rippling, no flash tearing. I like it. But I didn't want to give up on tahr as it's a favourite. "Compton" was mentioned, perhaps also "Compiz" somewhere as a possible solution and then I came across Compiz in
  • Menu>Setup>quickpet tahr>desktops>Compiz and Emerald
So, despite the warning it may not work on all hardware setups, I installed, switched to C & E in
  • Menu>Desktop>WM Switcher
and, well, everything worked and is working just fine - no more flash tearing or screen rippling in tahr!!

Lenovo G500 has Intel 3rd Gen graphics:

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 6.0.2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       synaptics dbe 
  Drivers requested to be loaded:       intel 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse synaptics

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes
I appreciate this relates to Intel graphics but given the same issues have been reported for other makes, it would seem worth a try.
All the best!
Last edited by terrapin231 on Fri 01 May 2015, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#45 Post by greengeek »

Hi terrapin - could you post your xorg.conf in case there is anything in there that also has some impact on the fix? cheers

terrapin231

Screen Tearing

#46 Post by terrapin231 »

@greengeek

Sure, xorg.conf as follows:

#Special base config file used in Puppy Linux.

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this  section  is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
#
Section "Module"
	Load "synaptics" #loadsynaptics

# This loads the DBE extension module.

Load        "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

# This loads the font modules
#    Load        "type1"
#    Load        "freetype"

# This loads xtrap extension, used by xrandr
#    Load       "xtrap"

# This loads the GLX module (if present). xorg 7.4/5 need explicit disable to disable...
#    Disable    "glx" #LOADGLX

# This loads dri module (if present). 7.4 loads it by default, have to disable...
#    Load       "dri" #LOADDRI
#    Disable "dri"

EndSection

# Files section.  This allows default font paths to be set

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)

FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF/"

EndSection

# Server flags section.

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><Fn> VT switch sequence
# (where n is 1 through 12).  This allows clients to receive these key
# events.

#    Option "DontVTSwitch"

# Enables mode switching with xrandr
# There is a report that this can cause Xorg not to work on some
# video hardware, so default is commented-out...
# but i want to use it in xorgwizard so leave on...

Option "RandR" "on"

# With this, Xorg won't talk to HAL to add evdev devices and you'll be back
# with the old Xorg behavior (pre-7.4)...

Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"

# For no-Hal, kirk also suggests this...

#    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"

# Xorg 7.4, Ubuntu Jaunty, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE is disabled by default...

Option "DontZap" "false"

EndSection

#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard...

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "Default Layout"
	Screen "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
	InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice "SynapticsMouse" "AlwaysCore" #serverlayoutsynaptics
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc101"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "gb" #xkeymap0
	Option      "XkbVariant" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2" #mouse0protocol
	#Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
	#Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "SynapticsMouse"
	Driver "synaptics"
	Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
	#HorizSync    31-50
	VertRefresh  59-76
	#UseModes     "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes
	Option      "PreferredMode" "1366x768"
EndSection

Section "Modes"
	Identifier "Modes0"
	#modes0modeline0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "intel" #card0driver
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth 24
	#Option         "metamodes" "1366x768_60 +0+0" #METAMODES_0
	Subsection "Display"
		Depth       24
		Modes       "1366x768"
	EndSubsection
EndSection

#PuppyHardwareProfile=Intel_R__Sandybridge_Ivybridge_GraphicsLGDisplay
Anything in here look hopeful/helpful??
Last edited by terrapin231 on Wed 13 May 2015, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

terrapin231

#47 Post by terrapin231 »

Okay, another solution...possibly :? Ifor Screen Tearing/Scroll ripple

I have Intel 3rd Gen graphics, but the following was originally suggested for nVidia problems I believe.

Reverting from Compiz back to standard jwm in tahrpup I installed compton from puppy package manager.
Following advice from here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=784321
Note: compton.pet from here doesn't work (prob 64bit, compiled for FatDog64??), so used tahrpup ppm version.

and followed instructions/code from here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468

and in terminal running "compton -b"

I made no changes to the code. I do get a report back in terminal after running "compton -b":

# Pattern "": PCRE regular expression study failed: (null)
I don't know if this will turn out to be a major issue/whether it's important
to resolve it (?)

Saved .compton.sh file with "compton -b" command script in root, and symlink to compton exec (usr/bin/compton) in Startup folder to enable auto start after boot.

Currently testing. Have had some issues with sound and scrolling since compton install, had to alsa sound wizard to reset sound card to get sound working again but scrolling issues not apparent in this boot for some reason, so maybe things sorted out.

Last edited by terrapin231 on Wed 13 May 2015, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

Bindee

#48 Post by Bindee »

-_- wrote:hmmm the pipeline fix mentioned by bindee re fatdog, do i need certain dependencies/programs and will it work only with fatdog? I am a 5.28-4 user and love it if not the screen tearing (firefox, youtube)
I mean sorry for the idiot question but is pipeline its own compositioning program or a part of something else.... please enlighten the dumb one, and much appreciated is your help, goes w/out saying....
Surprised the Pipeline fix doesn't work as it's now fixed the tearing problem for eveyone else i know and every computer i've installed it on?

Are you sure you set it up correctly to the right device number from terminal and executed it and tested it before rebooting with the start script?

Pipeline is the official Nvidia fix for Linux Vsync as it often doesn't work from the Nvidia driver options and forces it on.

On the latest cards 560 ti onwards Pipeline is used by default for twin monitor setups to make sure they have matching sync.

If you have chosen the correct device and resolution the screen will flash when you execute it from terminal and then come back again to normal.

Then your eyes will feel nice and fresh from the correct Vsync. :)

Bindee

#49 Post by Bindee »

In terminal type:

xrandr | grep " connect"

this will tell you the connection type and resolution you will need for the command.

Example of what to type in terminal

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DVI-I-1: 1920x1200 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }"

Make sure you change the DVI-I-1 connection type and the 1920x1200 resolution to the same as was given in xrandr | grep " connect"

in my case it was "DVI-I-3: 1920x1080 {

Bindee

#50 Post by Bindee »

Come to think of it if you are streaming then the Pipeline fix will not work as it's for your directly connected monitor or monitors.

How you would use it or if you could use it for an external streaming source i would have no idea. :(

terrapin231

#51 Post by terrapin231 »

Another solution maybe? This tested in tahrpup 6.0.2
Compton from ppm

Following: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=784321
Note: compton.pet from here compiled for FatDog64 and not compatible with tahrpup

and instructions from here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2144468

and in terminal: "compton -b"

I made no changes to the code. I do get a report back in terminal after running "compton -b" =

Pattern "": PCRE expression study failed: (null)
No major troubles to report though, it seems to work. I did have a few minor glitches with sound which I had to iron out by reselecting the soundcard in alsa wizard. Everything seems okay so far following several reboots.

I saved .compton.sh file with "compton -b in Startup folder with symlink to compton exec - to enable auto start after boot.
Last edited by terrapin231 on Thu 14 May 2015, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

Kai

#52 Post by Kai »

WOW , Bindee , Thanks

That pipeline option is amazing as now my desktop is as flicker free as windows and my eyes have stopped burning and stinging.

-_-

#53 Post by -_- »

Bindee wrote:Surprised the Pipeline fix doesn't work as it's now fixed the tearing problem for eveyone else i know and every computer i've installed it on?

Are you sure you set it up correctly to the right device number from terminal and executed it and tested it before rebooting with the start script?
Yes, did not work, and I gave up...
A semi-solution was installing Compiz. Switching to xfce with compiz enabled will result in, say 70% of streaming video tearing disappearing, but very sudden vertical movements or very wide-panning horizontal shots will cause some tear the first time around, if a play a segment again that is subject to tearing it's as if the pc had learned this and the tearing is gone during replay... sometimes (often not).

Bindee

#54 Post by Bindee »

-_- wrote:
Bindee wrote:Surprised the Pipeline fix doesn't work as it's now fixed the tearing problem for eveyone else i know and every computer i've installed it on?

Yes, did not work, and I gave up...
A semi-solution was installing Compiz. Switching to xfce with compiz enabled will result in, say 70% of streaming video tearing disappearing, but very sudden vertical movements or very wide-panning horizontal shots will cause some tear the first time around, if a play a segment again that is subject to tearing it's as if the pc had learned this and the tearing is gone during replay... sometimes (often not).
Bindee wrote:Come to think of it if you are streaming then the Pipeline fix will not work as it's for your directly connected monitor or monitors.
:arrow:

-_-

#55 Post by -_- »

Directly connected; what does it mean in relation to this laptop I am fighting with? Its built-in screen or an external monitor (which I have been using since the screen went black)? The fix works in neither case...
Thanks for patience and advice.

Bindee

#56 Post by Bindee »

The pipeline fix was designed by Nivida to fix the problem for multiple monitors plugged directly into a desktop Nvidia card and not their mobile or for streaming.

So it's not a fix that is for laptops or for streaming to a external monitor as you can't assign the CurrentMetaMode without a physical socket that can be listed to force the correct Composition and resolution.

Hence why i posted it will not work before you tried it , yet you tried it and it didn't work. :P

When i realised what you was trying to do i should have deleted my post about the pipeline fix.