Fanless PC may have no temperature monitor

Using applications, configuring, problems
ocpaul20

Fanless PC may have no temperature monitor

#1 Post by ocpaul20 »

Here is an interesting one.

Where I am, there is a lot of dust in the air from all the building work being done.

Fans have to work harder and harder as the dust and dirt is drawn into the PC case and eventually the summer heat causes a shutdown.

I have a fanless PC based on the Celeron 1037U because I got fed up with the noise of my fan working so hard.

OK, so now I still have this problem - due to the heat which can get up to 36-40 in the daytime the poor old(young) PC cannot handle the heat and after being on all day it starts to oscillate and the screen goes shakey and the characters start to break up.

I could send the box back but it is easier (since I have copied all my Gbs of data across) to just turn a fan on and aim it at the metal finned heatsink case and the temperature soon goes down.

After all that, my question is where can I find the temperature reading?

I have installed im_sensors but the values are stuck at 27.8 and 29.8 C. There is nothing 'temperature-like' in /proc/acpi/ so where do I look? There must be a chip which outputs temperature values somewhere.

Any ideas please?
==================
Running DebianDog Jessie Frugal with /live and maybe with changes or savefile or.., who knows?
mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

I picked up a fan from amazon of all places and it comes with its own temperatre sensor... normally it idles silently and just picks up speed when life gets warm...arctic F12 pro TC was really cheap too...its a 120mm case fan but I assume they have other sizes.

Mike

ps i use it on a boat and the one above the cooker speeds up when you are cooking :D
bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Look in menu->System->Pup-SysInfo->Devices->Sensors

Any info about sensors or CPU frequency scaling?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
ocpaul20

#4 Post by ocpaul20 »

Bigpup - Yes, thats great.The second section seems to be correct, or more likely in this hot weather. The first section is what I got from the 'sensors' command and is not correct and does not move.

I have found I can access that coretemp info from a script by navigating to the directory
/sys/module/coretemp/drivers/platform:coretemp/coretemp.0 and cat the files there.

However, these only have the descriptions and not the actual temperature figures I need. Any idea how I can access them?

I have found /usr/local/Pup-SysInfo/func file but I cannot figure out how the temperature is extracted.

Code: Select all

▶—— CPU Temperature ——◀

acpitz-virtual-0
temp1: +27.8 C (crit = +106.0 C)
temp2: +29.8 C (crit = +106.0 C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Physical id 0: +49.0 C (high = +87.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 0: +49.0 C (high = +87.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 1: +45.0 C (high = +87.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)

THRM Temp: 27 C

▶—— CPU Frequency ——◀

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1037U @ 1.80GHz
Max Speed: 3800 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:1795 MHz, 1:1795 MHz
Core Count: 2
Thread Count: 2
==================
Running DebianDog Jessie Frugal with /live and maybe with changes or savefile or.., who knows?
OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

Have a look at pmcputemp by 01micko.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299
It should pick up the readings from coretemp for you and display them in the tray.
The source code from git is now at a later version than the packages in the first post so I suggest using that if you can.
There is an example of the latest version with lots of screenshots here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=751
Oscar in England
wboz

#6 Post by wboz »

Have some thoughts on cooling in general, can't help with the temp sensors per se.

Fanned or fanless, a heat sink is going to be able to take heat away in proportion to the temperature differential between the inside and outside of the sink. If your room temperature is 40C, first, that sounds terrible for YOU and second, that's going to mean the sink can't shed heat nearly as efficiently as if the room were 20C.

The efficiency of the heat transfer is also determined by the difference in temp between the exterior of the sink (the fins) and the air. It's very possible that the air is heating up and then just hanging around the fins, creating a very localized hot area that's just about equal to the heat sink temperature. Not good! Make sure to position the fins so they are VERTICAL and have open space below them, that way air can rise up them and be replenished by cooler air from below.

Your chip should be stable below 87C. That's pretty hot! And it's so far above ambient air temp, that a properly ventilated heat sink should be able to carry heat away. So, what I would ask is: how high quality is your computer? Is it possible that the thermal interface material between the chip and the heat sink (aka case) is not properly applied? Every computer I've ever disassembled has had TIM applied with less care than I could have done. Not a surprising since it's assembled by a guy sitting at a table doing hundreds per day! Usually it's fine but occasionally you will have a particularly bad contact ... though they'd be likely to fail early and you'd know.

Hope that helps. Also, I notice the "max speed" of the 1.8GHz Celeron is listed as 3.8GHz. I highly doubt it ... :D
ocpaul20

#7 Post by ocpaul20 »

Thanks for all your thoughts, advice and help. I have gone with the pmcputemp from 01Micko and according to that, the machine is holding at around 44 with a 12" fan on it but some distance (1m) away.

Being in China, I have access to all kinds of electronic bits and pieces and many are not the best quality, but like Amazon, we have people who have bought previously and commented on their purchase so it is often a matter of reading what others have said to get a reasonable one.

This particular fanless PC is probably sold all over the world as it has 2 Lan ports, 8 USB, 4 COM, and the rest of the audio stuff etc, so it should be OK.

However as with all these things, there are Monday or Friday machines which are pretty bad. As long as I keep it cooler than about 65 or so it is probably going to be OK.
==================
mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Not sure why a few dollars to make it fully automatic is such a problem...after all you spent money to get a new motherboard. I find sometimes a small amount of money can save a lot of software head scratching...ed difficult audio/video/wifi in linux.

You will spend half your time checking the temp and not really relaxing.... your head will eventually turn to lime green jelly....I went from 6 gauges to 3 on a boat for the same reason. :D

Just a general tip in PC life.

mike
wboz

#9 Post by wboz »

Is that what you have? Looks like a tough computer. I agree keeping it under 65 I don't think you'll have problems.

(You may not want to TOUCH it ... !) :)

Check out cpufreq. You may be able to keep the cpu at a lower frequency much of the time. Usually that's to save power - not really a concern on a desktop - but equally valid to reduce temp. Sometimes Linux systems default to no scaling and end up running at max freq all the time (although I would think a 1037 has intel speedstep which would do it regardless of the OS).