Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ally

#401 Post by ally »

sorry rerwin, the archive does not breakdown downloads individually only by page, your has 1,180

:)
rerwin

lupu pluses updated with LibreOffice 4.4.4

#402 Post by rerwin »

To add LO 4.4.4 to the plus versions of Lucid Pup 5.2.8.7 I needed to update the tool that obtains it and converts it to an SFS file. To make the tool available for users to update LO further, I rebuilt lupu, lupusuper2 and lupusuper4 to include it, along with changes to the default scripts. I also added a getflash update I missed in 20150614.

Users of the 20150614 version need not replace it with 20150702 unless they need the latest version, because the packages are available for installation: The default script changes are merely to allow them to appear in the defaultschooser window. As in other puppies, they default to inkscapelite, gnumeric and abiword. (The lupulibres will default to libreoffice draw, calc and writer.) In 20150614 and earlier, those defaults choose libreoffice only if it is present, but do not show in defaultschooser.

The link to the 5.2.8.7 ISO-file directory: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/y3rkzh ... es-5.2.8.7

Notes about adding LibreOffice SFS files:
  • - After installing LO with the Boot Manager and rebooting, you may need to run 'fixmenus' from a console, to update the menu entries to the correct version.
    - To get the draw, calc and write icons to start LO, you may need to run the Default Apps Manager (Menu > Utility > PupControl panel > Utility tab > Default Apps Manager) and select the appropriate libreoffice-4.4 entry for each (--draw, --calc or --writer).
sheldonisaac

Re: Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - July, 2015

#403 Post by sheldonisaac »

rerwin wrote:The popular Lucid Puppy has been upgraded with its major components brought up to date.
I've used only frugal Puppy Linux for years, primarily these LuPus.

I'm expecting an SSD in a few days, and am overwhelmed by fear of complexities; expecially after looking on line for how-to.
It's from eBay, a Crucial 128GB m4 CT128M4SSD2

It's for this laptop, a Dell Latitude E6410, 4GB memory, 2.67GHz CPU.
I thought to move the current 320GB spinning drive to the bay where the DVD drive is now.

I'm not up to understanding all this about partitions, alignment, NCQ, TRIM, etc etc etc.

May I ask for some basic advice to get me started? Of course I want to maximize the life of the SSD.

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P
gcmartin

#404 Post by gcmartin »

I am sure that you will get a load of suggestions on how to use your new drive soon to arrive.

You might consider opening a new thread as the ideas will be more plentiful.

Its a good request, though. Some of us will suggest that you swap out the spinning drive for the SSD to avoid hardware headaches. And use the spinner elsewhere on your LAN.

Just a couple of initial thoughts to help.
irishrm

#405 Post by irishrm »

Installed lupusuper4plus to USB. Used lupu when it first came out and I must say this latest version is keeping up the tradition. It really is super. irishrm .
KEubus

Re: New set of lupu... 5.2.8.7 disk image (ISO) files - 20150611

#406 Post by KEubus »

[quote="rerwin"]I have begun uploading another 2015 version of Lucid Pup 5.2.8.7. The lupu (k2.6.33.2) set is in place. The remaining sets will be built and uploaded soon.

Here is the link to the 5.2.8.7 ISO-file directory -- please use the files dated with 20150611:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/y3rkzh ... es-5.2.8.7

Hello Richard
I appreciate your work on lupu/sulu as an lucid-user
I visited the ISO-download link
and downloaded
lupusuper4 (kernel from pemasu's upup raring)
which devx and kernelsources should I use

greetings
K.Eubus
rerwin

#407 Post by rerwin »

KEubus,
Thanks for upgrading. Just be sure to use the latest lupuper4, 20150702.

The source and devx files are in "Supplementary SFS Files > Development -- here are the links to what you need.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h29hu ... 9-upup.sfs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v8hhy ... _528-4.sfs

The same devx file is used for all lupus. If it does not get recognized, just rename it to sulu_devx_004-4.
Richard
KEubus

#408 Post by KEubus »

rerwin wrote:KEubus,

The source and devx files are in "Supplementary SFS Files > Development -- here are the links to what you need.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h29hu ... 9-upup.sfs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v8hhy ... _528-4.sfs

The same devx file is used for all lupus. If it does not get recognized, just rename it to sulu_devx_004-4.
Richard
Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for this fast reply

Thanks for upgrading. Just be sure to use the latest lupuper4, 20150702.

Yes, I' m using the lupuper4, 20150702 version

your lupuper4 works flawless in my frugal install
Computer- Packard BELL Easynote
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz
Memory : 2983MB (967MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine

lupuper4 recognised and loaded my sulu2-savefile without a problem
I just need to rebuild my dekstop

SCANNIN & PRINTING
As in sulu2 (lupusuper2-5286-k3248-20140109-iso_LTS2017)
I'm struggling to get my new Brother MFC 7360N working

# sane-find-scanner
reported
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x0270) at libusb:001:007

# scanimage -L
No scanners were identified.
and so
xsane didnot find a device

as PRINT-result was reported
"Empty print file!"

Greetings
KEubus
rerwin

Java Runtime SFS file Updated - jre-1.8u51

#409 Post by rerwin »

When I used a web site today that requires Java, I found that the version in Lucid Pup is not sufficient. Java was upgraded on July 10 and has not yet been provided in the forum as an sfs file. So, I "rolled my own."

Actually, I used gjuhasz's jre-1.8u45-i586.sfs as a basis, downloaded the new jre tarball from the Java website, substituted the content for the old jre-1.8u45 directory, updated the "java" link and renamed the build directory to jre-1.8u51-i586-lucid.sfs, to avoid conflicting with his naming convention.

I used the lupu version of dir2sfs to make the SFS file, after correcting the name used to invoke the file list generator, sfs_filelist (instead of its early name, dir2sfs-make_file_list).

When I used it with the site that flagged the version problem, the site worked as expected! With that confirmation, I uploaded the SFS file to my repo, for user replacement of jre-1.8u45-i586.sfs.

Although the file name implies usability for Lucid Pup, the new SFS file should work for any puppy. Download it from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7tut8 ... -lucid.sfs
md5sum: 9a154bd8b826e9cace79dcc0a57209e2 jre-1.8u51-i586-lucid.sfs
ICPUG

#410 Post by ICPUG »

Just like to say thanks for the latest upgrade. I've downloaded and setup the latest lupusuper2plus as a frugal install.

Pleased to see that rerwin acted on my suggestion that Dillo be updated to enable browsing of https pages. Seems to work OK with wikipedia.

One thing I noticed with this latest version is that once I had setup the libreoffice and jave sfs files the desktop icons still called up Abiword and Gnumeric. Perhaps I have to perform the steps in rerwin's post of the 4th July (which I have just read!).
otropogo

UEFI support?

#411 Post by otropogo »

I had to stop using Lupuplus more than I year ago, when I was forced to give up all my old PCs for a single 64-bit UEFI laptop. Since then Knoppix is the only Linux I've been able to boot, but it soon stopped working, and there's effectively no support available for Knoppix, so I've ended up struggling with Win8.x instead.

I looked at FatDog64 hopefully, when a recent version was tweaked to boot with UEFI, but that was superseded by a later version ( 700 and 701) in which the UEFI project seems to have been abandoned.

So now I'm looking hopefully at Mint 7.02 Cinnamon, because the hopes of a better Windows seem to have been dashed with Windows 10, which promises only total slavery to Window Updates. But I can't recall how to do an install to USB flash directly from the ISO under windows, and the UEFI BIOS fails to detect any OS on the burner.

Other than that, I can only hope that Klaus Knopper will finally hit a home run and give us a distro that will actually work for a year to two. But each year, the downloadable version comes out later, and seems ever more flawed. On the current one, it's synaptic that doesn't work, making it impossible to install packets through the gui. Some previous versions had two packet installers (the Resource Center was one, IIRC) so they could take turns failing...
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo
muggins

#412 Post by muggins »

hello otropogo,

does the uefi bios allow legacy boot?
otropogo

#413 Post by otropogo »

muggins wrote:hello otropogo,

does the uefi bios allow legacy boot?
Hi Muggins. Not sure, you have to disable secure boot, IIRC. How does legacy boot show up on the Bios pages?

I do know that this particular AMI BIOS is flakey.

You can set the boot priority to UEFI generic (which is how the Knoppix USB flash installation shows up) in the boot menu, then "save and exit" until you're blue in the face, but it will always boot from Windows. And if you go immediately back into the BIOS after saving and exiting, you'll see why. The BIOS didn't save the settings, Windows is back in position number 1. I have no idea how one would do a recovery or reinstall of Windows on this system.

So there's no point in even bothering to put UEFI boot in boot position number 1. The ONLY way to boot from USB is to go to the Save&Exit Menu and use the boot override option (cursor on UEFI Generic and CR).

And if I try to reboot from within Knoppix, I can't even access the BIOS. In that case, Windows always starts up first, I have to wait for it to load, then restart, and only then can I do the trick above...

There's an apparent option to boot from the burner, but the Bios enters a default path which you can't edit or replace, and it's the path to the hard drive where Windows resides...
muggins

#414 Post by muggins »

How does legacy boot show up on the Bios pages?
It might be under something like Compatibility Support Module" or "CSM".
cthisbear

#415 Post by cthisbear »

" I had to stop using Lupuplus more than I year ago, when I was
forced to give up all my old PCs for a single 64-bit UEFI laptop. "

I booted up an iCore7???? Sony laptop 4 months ago....
to fix it up.

I was surprised....it worked quite well.

Chris.
muggins

#416 Post by muggins »

If I buy a new laptop, I always try & identify the most geeky looking salesperson, (who hopefully has at least heard of linux), and lie to them that I want to boot windows & a linux liveCD, and can I test that the liveCD plays well with the laptop.

Usually I never have problems. Of course, when at home, windows is wiped ASAP.
otropogo

#417 Post by otropogo »

muggins wrote:
How does legacy boot show up on the Bios pages?
It might be under something like Compatibility Support Module" or "CSM".
Yes. I've got "Launch CSM" and "Fast Boot", in the Boot Menul, both disabled. On advice from this forum, IIRC.

It's been a while since I played with this, since it's no fun running a system in which you can't update any apps or install new ones.

Just now I booted Knoppix 7.4.2, this time using a Lexar microSD USB reader (the kind that goes directly into the USB port - I had to buy a crappy microSD just to get the reader, because I've lost all my old square ones).

I got my hopes up when the BIOS recognized that it was a Lexar USB rdr 0815 IIRC. But nothing changed.

Synaptic fails with a wheezy error. Deb package installer (forget the name) fails with an Apt error. Install components runs until it's got everything downloaded (I tried Audacity, movie player, something else) then reports "installation failed". Even ClamTK can't manage to download a virus sigs update anymore. It seems to me that Knoppix isn't robust enough to run on a USB flash installation. It seems to get corrupted very quickly, and then it's all over.

There's an option to manually add a boot device on the BIOS Boot menu, but after naming it, you have to define the path, and the BIOS defines it for you as the path to the hard drive. If you have a disk in the burner, you can see the path to it, but you can't enter it for the additional boot device. Totally hopeless.
muggins

#418 Post by muggins »

To boot a non-uefi distro you have to enable CSM. ( And disable fast boot). Then when you save your settings & exit, you'll be able to boot from DVD/CD, usbkey, or non-uefi distro on the hard disk.
cthisbear

#419 Post by cthisbear »

otropogo >> Maybe read this...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100422

Windows 8 or 8.1: How to Boot Puppy - Step 1

Chris.
otropogo

#420 Post by otropogo »

cthisbear wrote:otropogo >> Maybe read this...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100422

Windows 8 or 8.1: How to Boot Puppy - Step 1

Chris.
Thanks Chris. Of course I do have Secure Boot disabled, without that, I wouldn't be able to boot Knoppix on the system. But I am puzzled given Muggins' instructions above (which I'll try as soon as I can find an old liveCD) what the advantages are of booting with Linux UEFI support, since it doesn't seem to work very well.

PS. IIRC, my last configured version of Lupuplus was revision 4 or 5, which I'm sure I can find a working copy of. Will I be able to use its 2fs files if I upgrade it to the current version?

My basic needs are to have Xfprot, GIMP, UFRAW, and RAWstation installed. IIRC, I was able to get pets for all of those for 5.2.8. The big problem has always been to get a decent package installer to use with a large and up to date repository, such as Ubuntu's.

Update: today I spent a couple of hours trying Muggins' suggestions, and found I was able to boot Puppy, at least one out of three. FatDog 700b2 on a flash install couldn't find the kernel, and a boot of Puppy 528-5 from LiveCd failed with a syncing error after flailing about for quite a while.

To get them to appear in the boot menu and save, I had to ENABLE "launch CSM" as Muggins suggests, but I also had to ENABLE "launch PEX OpROM policy". After that I had to disable the entries for the MFC machine and the PCI enthernet controller.

But although I was finally able to boot Puppy 528-5 from a SD card installation, the ethernet chip wasn't automatically configured, and seemed to resist manual configuration. I got connected once, and saved the configuration (at least Puppy said it would), but on reboot, I had the same problem and couldn't get connected a second time. So no cigar for Lupu 528-5, but I might be able to work with the current version.

The ethernet controller is a Realtek 8169. The laptop has an Nvidia Geoforce 750M chip and an Intel chip I can't identify from the control panel. I've never figured out how you switch from one to the other, but I use and external monitor almost always, and Windows recognizes and supports both the internal and external, wheras Puppy only displays the monitor.

BTW: Is the old Xfprot pet still working on the latest lupu?