Problem to upgrade Firefox from 1.5 to 2.0 on Puppy 1.07

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
rgershey

Problem to upgrade Firefox from 1.5 to 2.0 on Puppy 1.07

#1 Post by rgershey »

Some time ago, I used GuestToo's installer pup to put Firefox 1.5 on Puppy 1.07. When I attempted to update to Firefox 2.0 using the pup file on the Wiki (I assume this is meant for Puppy 2.x) a big mess ensues. The two versions of Firefox are in different directories and fight with one another.

How can I sort this out? Do a manual install? Wait for an update from GuestToo :-)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

I would try 'uninstall 1.5' and 'install 2.X)
I would also save the personal settings first.

rgershey

#3 Post by rgershey »

Thanks for your reply. That was the right thing to do! Version 2.0 works fine now.

DUH! Why didn't I do that in the first place?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

to install Firefox, you can download Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/

unzip the file, and Firefox should run wherever you put it

i don't remember if Puppy 107 used the defaultbrowser wrapper ... if it does, and you unzipped Firefox to, for example, /root/firefox/, then you could edit /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser something like this to make Firefox the default browser:

#!/bin/sh
exec /root/firefox/firefox "$@"

if you have different versions of Firefox installed, they will probably all be using the same profile in /root/.mozilla/firefox ... you can setup a different profile for each version of Firefox, or just uninstall the older versions of Firefox

sometimes newer versions of Firefox don't work well with an older profile ... you can rename /root/.mozilla/firefox to something like /root/.mozilla/firefox-old and Firefox should create a new clean profile the next time it starts ... you can copy the older files from the old profile, like bookmarks.html

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

rgershey wrote:Thanks for your reply. That was the right thing to do! Version 2.0 works fine now.

DUH! Why didn't I do that in the first place?
Glad it worked for you.
But GestToo's advice is interesting as well.

rgershey

#6 Post by rgershey »

GuestToo, thanks for all the info! I better understand the installation process now. Vers. 1.5 and 2.0 were using the same profile leading to conflicts I mentioned before.

There is still one thing I don't understand though. I downloaded Ver 2.0 from Mozilla.com and unzipped it into a Firefox2 directory. It wouldn't run. Clicking on Firefox did nothing. However, when I installed Ver 2.0 from the PUP file it works fine. I guess there is still something I don't understand about the installation process.

In any event, everything is working fine now. Thanks to both of you for your help.

cegil

Upgrade seamonkez ...

#7 Post by cegil »

hi,
i know that this maz not be the correct place to post this, but
i have been searching and this is the closest that i found.

i am using puppy 2.10 and want to upgrade the úincluded) seamonkey 1.4
to the current seamonkey 1.7. I have it downloaded and saved, but
how do i get it into the seamonkey folder, so that it works, huh_

cegil

Upgrade seamonkez ...

#8 Post by cegil »

I know that this may not be the correct place to post this, but
I have been searching and this is the closest that I found.

I wnat to upgrade the included seamonkey 1.4
to the current seamonkey 1.7. I have it downloaded and saved, but
how do i get it into the seamonkey folder, so that it works, huh_