Windows 10 is rumored to destroy computers.

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Burn_IT

#61 Post by Burn_IT »

The tee shirt didn't help all the times I have tried it.

I'll just try IE again and see if that clears it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
starhawk

#62 Post by starhawk »

I'm having a little trouble understanding you, sorry. "...tee shirt..."?
greengeek

#63 Post by greengeek »

Got a call from my elderly mother in law last night - she had incorrectly entered her Skype password (multiple times) and got locked out so she took the laptop to the local Noel Leeming where she had bought it. They said the best thing to do was to upgrade to Windows 10 which they did for her free of charge. Now she says the computer wont let her do anything at all.

From her description it sounds a bit like this

Didn't really want anything to do with Win 10 but looks like I'm gonna have to...

EDIT : Also found this other report which scares me a little. Are hard drives really this fragile?
http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-conf ... sks-73995/
starhawk

#64 Post by starhawk »

GIGO. It's an acronym.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

;)
Burn_IT

#65 Post by Burn_IT »

Been there
Done that
Got the tee shirt!

I don't have IE under Win 7
Slimboat and Tor also no Smilees, though Slimboat probably drops them anyway.

That post was from December and WINDOWS 10 Preview and was as much a disk error as a Windows 10 error.

Of course invalid commands can damage disks. If you tried to change gear in a car without using the clutch you would damage the gearbox.
rokytnji

#66 Post by rokytnji »

Of course invalid commands can damage disks. If you tried to change gear in a car without using the clutch you would damage the gearbox.
Split a ratchet top Harley Davidson transmission in half down shifting like that once. Scary stuff with rear wheel lockup at 90 mph with a passenger on the back.

%2Fdiv[2]%2Fh3[2]%280%29%283%29%28Sto%29%26%2F%2Fdiv[%40id%3D%26quot%3Bpost-224471%26quot%3B]%2Fdiv[2]%2Fh3[2]%2862%29%283%29%28ter%29] On a lighter note.

But what goes up, sometimes comes down

Fun and games in interesting times

And, that's leads to another problem. You see, Windows 10 is Not a desktop operating system in the way every earlier version of Windows is. Windows 10 is a hybrid cloud/desktop operating system.
I already have a ChromeBook. Thanks, but no thanks. Bad enough folks have a hard copy file on me already. To go along with what ChomeOS blabs about. Plus my Iphone 5S is a chatty kathy also.

So it is not like I can be invisible or something. Just here for the speed and virus protection. Nothing else. Have fun with it. Windows 10 users.
Burn_IT

#67 Post by Burn_IT »

I don't have and have no intention of having W10, but I wonder if you can just disable the W10 Update server in your router or firewall until you are ready for it.

It would also surprise me if someone HASN'T written a script for Windows 7/Vista/8 to remove and hide all the 10 related updates.
bark_bark_bark

#68 Post by bark_bark_bark »

grump

#69 Post by grump »

Burn_IT wrote: If you tried to change gear in a car without using the clutch you would damage the gearbox.
Nope - done this many times.
1) ease off power to take load off drivetrain
2) slip gear into neutral
3) blip the accelerator to bring engine revs up to match road speed, then
4) slip gear into next lowest gear.

BUT I have to admit to not trying this with my current car.

It's easier on a motorbike - I hardly ever used the clutch on mine, but motorbike gearboxes are different, so one just combines steps 2 and 3.

As for the HDD problem - it was only in an early build from last year, and not a problem with the public release.
Geoffrey

#70 Post by Geoffrey »

greengeek wrote: EDIT : Also found this other report which scares me a little. Are hard drives really this fragile?
http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-conf ... sks-73995/
That report is rather old Posted 26 December 2014, My win 10 experience so far as been fine, not being a avid windows user I find it easy to navigate and use, I really can't find fault with it, running it on a....
Attachments
win10.png
(119.98 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]