Anybody Try Out Elementary OS?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
True_X

Anybody Try Out Elementary OS?

#1 Post by True_X »

Has anybody tried out Elementary OS yet? I tried it last month and fell in love with it! For an aesthetically pleasing OS the speed is out of this world(of course nothing compared to Puppy's) and it's extremely stable, I haven't ran into not one system bug yet(though there are some bugs with the pre-installed software which you just end up replacing yourself anyways). I use it as a primary OS on my primary PC! Puppy is used on every laptop in the house. Elementary on all 9 desktops!

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, True_X.

I tried it about a month ago, and I pretty much had the reaction exactly
opposite to yours: a great big "yerk"! :(

ElementaryOS is just another pretty girl. A seductive look, but very little
in the head, nothing of substance anyway. How can Elementary put so
little stuff in its ISO? Puppy ISO's are a quarter of the size of
Elementary's and offer an entirely usable system to the user, not
just bits and pieces you have to complete by downloading.

You can't be quick and productive with ElementaryOS, because the
interface is too alien to the general user. Also, you're not root in
ElementaryOS. I hate distros who pretend to protect you from yourself,
and try to take control of the computer the user bought, not the
programmer. It's my computer, and your OS is on it because of my
permission, not the other way around.

Finally, you can't install it easily as a frugal install. As to full install, if
you have other distros already nstalled, ElementaryOS, with its big ego,
will threaten to wipe out all your previously installed distros. Or maybe
the documentation on the subject is lacking, which amounts to the same
thing.

I certainly would not recommend ElementaryOS to anyone.

BFN.

musher0
Last edited by musher0 on Sat 07 Nov 2015, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

That's more or less what I thought ;)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

True_X

Re:

#4 Post by True_X »

I actually got fed up with it yesterday when I updated it via the terminal and then on a restart it would not even show the bootloader! I've switched back to using Arch as my primary OS...

My setup with Arch right now:
-XFCE(customized to hell) with conky, docky, and Kwin.
-Firefox for every-day browsing
-Chromium for when flash messes up on Firefox
-Thunar as file manager
-Terminator terminal emulator(dropdown from XFCE menu for convenience)
-Snapper for system snapshots that I can easily restore via commandline if bad turns to worst
-Syslinux(Bootloader)
-Noise(for music) This is also the music player included in Elementary, and is Elementary's own creation
-VLC for videos, and other media(love it's included codecs)
-Gedit(for text editing)
-LibreOffice(Only the presentation software and word software, as I don't need anything else)

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Really Arch? that is one distro i would tell people to never use or even look at.

Why?
-It is slow and unstable
-the packages are bloated
-the community is unfriendly
-it uses systemd

and because it uses systemd, it is not very secure.

hendrikus

Elementary OS on PUPPYLINUX would be the real killer

#6 Post by hendrikus »

I love Elementary OS,

Not because of the amount of applications in the distro, I would even prefer to only package the OS with system settings "under the hood" and a easy to use package manager, such like SFS packages in puppylinux.

Not because of the great performance, because using UBUNTU / Gnome it's even slow with 2Gb on memory, even slower than Windows 7 (new install), minimal requirement is 4 Gb. Puppylinux could run all programs I need for business operations in memory, superfast and easy to update or change the needed software and settings for business use by creating USB's with the new company OS include company software.

The only reason is: My employees loves it, it's much easyer to use than Windows 8.1, or even Windows 10 and even OSX, I am happy, because my employees don't spend any time anymore on system administration (20 % of their time), virus checkers, optimizers, try all kind of applications available at the store... shortly, wasting my expensive business hours. All our applications are WebOriented, only LibreOffice, MasterPDF, sync software for Google Drive are added...

I would even prefer to remove their harddisk and only have a USB drive of 8Gb, my google-drive with ALL company production and administrative data is only 40Gb for the last 5 years, include photo's, presentations, design drawings... everything.... because all employees collaborate on the same files. Employees complained about small 250gb harddrives when they where using Windows 8.1... god may know how they could fill this, but definitely no productive company data.

PUPPY LINUX, in my opinion a unbelievable superb concept, I tried nearly all versions with the hope it could be accepted by my employees... MACPUP came close, but too complex and funky, for kids it's nice, LXPUP, GNOMEPUP was maybe the best I found.. BrowserPUP we used for a while...

Conclusion: PUPPY LINUX could become number one for business users when it's experimental charakter should be changed to a collaborative effort make the userinterface simple and efficient... making use of it's unique features as RUN IN MEMORY, 4 WORKING SPACES, 10 LAST USED PROGRAMS at the left, 10 LAST USED FILES at the right. Delete all experimental system applications and make system settings like in Elementary OS maybe?

Most Popular Android UI is HTC Sence (why, it's the most simple one, android became popular because it's simplicity, nut because the amount of linux utilities)
Most Popular Mail is Google (why, it was the most simple one to use)
Most popular browser is chrome (Why, the first didn't had a bunch of menu's on top)
Most used Netbook Linux is Ubuntu Netbook Remix (thats the linux we used company wide for laptops and desktops for a log time, till we needed to switch because some programs didn't run anymore.)

I wait for the day Elementary OS uses PUPPY LINUX as base... :-)

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

My opinion hasn't changed...
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

greengeek

Re: Elementary OS on PUPPYLINUX would be the real killer

#8 Post by greengeek »

hendrikus wrote:I love Elementary OS,..

The only reason is: My employees loves it, it's much easyer to use than Windows 8.1, or even Windows 10 and even OSX, I am happy, because my employees don't spend any time anymore on system administration (20 % of their time), virus checkers, optimizers, try all kind of applications available at the store... shortly, wasting my expensive business hours.
Hey Hendrikus - that is a really interesting review. I haven't used Elementary but I heartily agree with your feelings about a business centred OS that is efficient, solid and straightforward for non-techies to use productively.

Based on your review I think I should have a look at Elementary.

One question - did you set up printing? Was it easy?

mtzlplex

#9 Post by mtzlplex »

3 years on a full install of elementary os to hd(nothing else on the drive, 1 partition ext4), with no problems on a Lenovo dual core(amd 64 Athlon X2), 2 gig ram, 32 inch monitor. Has always done what I ask of it, and has never balked. Has always recognized, and worked with all the peripherals I have hooked up to it. Just an average internet user here, was not looking for anything special, just an os that worked with "my system", and external peripherals, and this os does it for me on this particular machine. I have 3 other computers running Slacko 5.7, Tahrpup 6.0.3, and Windows 7(for those times when you just need a windows computer).
Last edited by mtzlplex on Fri 11 Dec 2015, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

hendrikus

Re: Elementary OS on PUPPYLINUX would be the real killer

#10 Post by hendrikus »

greengeek wrote:
hendrikus wrote:I love Elementary OS,..

The only reason is: My employees loves it, it's much easyer to use than Windows 8.1, or even Windows 10 and even OSX, I am happy, because my employees don't spend any time anymore on system administration (20 % of their time), virus checkers, optimizers, try all kind of applications available at the store... shortly, wasting my expensive business hours.
Hey Hendrikus - that is a really interesting review. I haven't used Elementary but I heartily agree with your feelings about a business centred OS that is efficient, solid and straightforward for non-techies to use productively.

Based on your review I think I should have a look at Elementary.

One question - did you set up printing? Was it easy?
I was surprised that all our printer run directly without any problems, just connect and print... Only did some extra work for the HP 7212 printer. The only printer doesn't work is a XEROX larerprinter, but that doesn't work on any Lunux dirstro.

hendrikus

#11 Post by hendrikus »

musher0 wrote:Hello, True_X.

I tried it about a month ago, and I pretty much had the reaction exactly
opposite to yours: a great big "yerk"! :(

ElementaryOS is just another pretty girl. A seductive look, but very little
in the head, nothing of substance anyway. How can Elementary put so
little stuff in its ISO? Puppy ISO's are a quarter of the size of
Elementary's and offer an entirely usable system to the user, not
just bits and pieces you have to complete by downloading.

You can't be quick and productive with ElementaryOS, because the
interface is too alien to the general user. Also, you're not root in
ElementaryOS. I hate distros who pretend to protect you from yourself,
and try to take control of the computer the user bought, not the
programmer. It's my computer, and your OS is on it because of my
permission, not the other way around.

Finally, you can't install it easily as a frugal install. As to full install, if
you have other distros already nstalled, ElementaryOS, with its big ego,
will threaten to wipe out all your previously installed distros. Or maybe
the documentation on the subject is lacking, which amounts to the same
thing.

I certainly would not recommend ElementaryOS to anyone.

BFN.

musher0
I actually prefer PuppyLinux above Elementary OS simply because it's the fastest Linux distro available.. works on all systems I have in my office, even a old HP520. Beside the minimal resources it should be combined with a minimalistic as possible userinterface for all users, and technical apps under the hood... The success of Android was based on simplicity, the best user interface seems HTC Sence, because it's simplified.

It's would be great to see all developers take the challenge to collaborate creating a easy to use PuppyLinux....

eric52

#12 Post by eric52 »

I tried it expecting to love it. I didn't. Appearance is important to me, and elementary is extremely attractive. I don't have a Mac background, but I remember the OS-2 Warp launch bar nostalgically. Regardless, it works fine, but it just didn't work right for me. I'm of Norwegian extraction, so Freya rings the bell for me, but it's just a name. Elementary is beautiful, but not my kind of beautiful. The behavior is sensible and consistent but not familiar. The app selection is the same .. somehow off in an undefinable way. A similar daring departure with great aesthetic dimension can be found in Bodhi, which suits me, so I use that as a desktop anchor. The crazy fact is that I seldom use desktop anchors. I like to run as root. I like to have all my drives immediately accessible. I like speed. I don't really have any magnificent, data-intensive project to enthrone on my hard drives. Finally, a desktop computer is not a ship; I'm not a captain, and I play with computers to float away ...

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

As i said: elementary OS is just another pretty girl.

Pretty girls offer prettiness while intelligent girls offer intelligence.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

bark_bark_bark

#14 Post by bark_bark_bark »