Minimalist Base Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#101 Post by goingnuts »

@jamesbond - haven't tested but in XFree86-4.8.0/xc/config/cf/site.def change #define ProjectRoot /usr/X11R6 to what you want.
@rufwoof - impressive work!
@wanderer - look in CLI_GUI.sh for commands used for creating initrd.gz etc. All pupngo´s are done the same way.
For info about pUPnGO V016 070611 look here. It really was identical to the other builds at that time except the kernel and modules.

If layered system are chosen as method of installing extra apps consider having all core apps in /bin.

wanderer

#102 Post by wanderer »

Thanks a lot goingnuts

Great system
Great documentation

wanderer

wanderer

#103 Post by wanderer »

goingnuts

Is there a place where all your stuff can be found
I notice some of the links don't work
I would like to download it so that I can save it
It would be a tragedy if it were lost

wanderer

ally

#104 Post by ally »

wanderer

#105 Post by wanderer »

thanks ally

you do great work

wanderer

greengeek

#106 Post by greengeek »

I would like to mention a couple of early versions of "minimalist" pups:

Choicepup 4.1.2
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40569

and

Choicepup 431:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47465

They might suit some peoples hardware, or might offer inspiration for features.

darry1966

525 Barebones

#107 Post by darry1966 »

This is for Wanderer who got me interested in this whole minimal thing so tried one of my favourites using woofy Puppy Lucid 525 stripped down with no Browser,Dillo no media players,no cups, Abiword etc, separate zdrve option for drivers used etc, here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-l ... o/download
Last edited by darry1966 on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 05:57, edited 2 times in total.

Iguleder

#108 Post by Iguleder »

I think you're missing four points:
1) Perceived speed of software is determined by two factors: its efficiency and the hardware it runs on. Inefficient software on a fast processor runs fast, while all software is slow on underpowered hardware.
2) High memory consumption does not mean bad performance. Reading from RAM is faster than reading from disk, so if a program (say, the browser) stores things in RAM (for example, its cache), it will run faster than a program that constantly reads from disk. Therefore, high memory consumption may actually improve performance.
3) The same applies to small vs. big software - a small program can be less efficient than an equivalent, bigger program (for example, Firefox without support for cache would be smaller, but much slower).
4) Most of the time, old software is smaller than new software, because it has less features (less features = less code ~= smaller binaries). When you suggest to use an ancient version of Puppy as a base for your minimalistic Puppy, it's small only because you chose to provide your users with less features (for example, pupngo cannot run LibreOffice). Also, old software has known vulnerabilities and bugs. You're risking the security, privacy and overall satisfaction of your users. Puppy isn't "bloated" because its developers chose to add useless features, but because software grows over time and they chose not to cripple it for the sake of reducing size (which does not have big effect over performance). Other distros already excel at that; IMHO, Puppy's main strength is the ability to provide many features in small size (read: efficiency), with features and not size as the top priority.

2c
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

darry1966

#109 Post by darry1966 »

Yeah well some of us like to play with the old stuff now and then and we all have favourite versions. Nice sermon and it is Sunday :D

greengeek

#110 Post by greengeek »

Iguleder wrote:1) Perceived speed of software etc...
2) High memory consumption etc...
3) The same applies to small vs. big software etc...
4) Most of the time, old software is smaller than new software etc ...
Puppy's main strength is the ability to provide many features in small size (read: efficiency)
I think that is an excellent and very helpful summary Iguleder. Quite thought provoking, especially the point about high memory consumption. Also the search for efficiency is very much dependent on the hardware in use, and the function being performed. I guess that is why i stick with puppy - so much choice! Theres always something to match my needs.

Iguleder

#111 Post by Iguleder »

I forgot to point out something: by calling Puppy "efficient", I mean it has a good size vs. functionality ratio, not just small size. Efficiency of such a complex piece of software is relative, not absolute.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

wanderer

#112 Post by wanderer »

moved
Last edited by wanderer on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:50, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#113 Post by gcmartin »

Curious. @Wanderer has your objective changed? It appears so by the last post. This is why I ask.

wanderer

#114 Post by wanderer »

hi gcmartin

no change
same objective
which is pretty much accomplished
tinycore and pupngo satisfy the basic requirements
they just need to continue to be developed
which they will be

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:46, edited 2 times in total.

wanderer

#115 Post by wanderer »

darry1966

i am posting this from your iso now
looks really cool

thanks

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Sun 22 Nov 2015, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#116 Post by darry1966 »

Hey Cheers Wanderer,

You got me interested in playing with Puppy again been away from it for a long time. 525 was a good one. Before now the only barebones Lucid was 5.01. Anyway enjoy your journey of discovery - sure am enjoying mine,:)

darry1966

#117 Post by darry1966 »

Ok here is Lucid 5.28.005 Barebones build as with the 5.25 build there is no cups, no Abiword, no multimedia, no Pupzip xarchive and no Browsers - just run a portable one the libraries are still there to do that.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-l ... o/download
Last edited by darry1966 on Wed 25 Nov 2015, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#118 Post by greengeek »

darry1966 wrote:Ok here is Lucid 5.28.005 Barebones build as with the 5.25 build there is no cups, no Abiword, no multimedia, no Pupzip xarchive and no Browsers
Any reason for the cups removal? Is there still an easy way to get printers going? cheers

darry1966

#119 Post by darry1966 »

greengeek wrote:
darry1966 wrote:Ok here is Lucid 5.28.005 Barebones build as with the 5.25 build there is no cups, no Abiword, no multimedia, no Pupzip xarchive and no Browsers
Any reason for the cups removal? Is there still an easy way to get printers going? cheers
Hi Greengeek,

Just wanted a really minimal Puppy to use for quick and dirty jobs to boot from a stick and as a very minmal building block for people like Wanderer. I don't generally print from Puppy these days. I wanted builds like JRB made with minimal services running and build on top bases. Have sfs running from them - you name it.

Will check whether cups can be put back.

P.S. Yes cups can be installed from PPM by enabling all the Ubuntu Repos. Geeze this is bloody nice Pup 525.:)

Darren

wanderer

#120 Post by wanderer »

puppy is the greatest (great balance between size and functionality)
puppy devs (especially you Iguleder) and puppy fans are the greatest
and there are endless variations and something for everyone

i am interested in minimal systems not in competition with puppy
but as a way to improve the system
small simple core - easy and quick to understand build and maintain
small independent components - easy and quick to understand build and maintain
combine them any way you want
and get exactly what you want

you are speaking about the software and hardware
i am talking about how the system is structured

all systems will need to be modified or upgraded over time
it just will be much easier if the system is structured to facilitate that process

wanderer