Do vesa fb kernel params work for you?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
eMeRy

Do vesa fb kernel params work for you?

#1 Post by eMeRy »

Hi,
Is it only me who has difficulties with the Vesa framebuffer kernel parameters? I applies vga=791 boot parameter but it doesn't work for me with the Puppy 2.x series at all, though I see vga=785 as one of the parameter examples on boot screen... (vga=785 doesn't work either: I receive blank screen during boot but can get through to X)
The video config is tnt pro 32 and the vga=791 works fine with Puppy 1.x and many other distro...
Any feedback is welcome.

Gn2

#2 Post by Gn2 »

Depends on pre-set kernel makfile options used.
If yoiu are referrig to bootup text display:
Try vga =ask
The safest makefile (full .config <-not included in Puppy) options to choose -
Should be vesa-tng (console frame buffer mode)

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Puppy 2.xx's kernel doesn't have the fbcon module compiled in. That's the module that lets the CLI display text in framebuffer mode. Everything still works, you just won't see the results. Once you get to X, graphics should kick in until you exit. Terminal emulators like RXVT will still work, just not the actual CLI.

The kernel modules package that Barry has uploaded somewhere contains the module, so if you install it, the command modprobe fbcon will enable it.

He said something about removing framebuffer drivers in 2.14, so I don't know what that one's going to be like.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

eMeRy

#4 Post by eMeRy »

Gn2:
I found the 'vga=ask' trick very useful.
I'll complete my grub menu with 'vga=0F05'. I found that gives slightly better look to boot screen.

Pizzasgood:
So the framebuffer mode is not basic part of puppy 2.x though it can be loaded yet.
I guess the vga=785 example is a mistake on boot screen. It should be changed.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, some other parts of it do work. For example, if you install fbv you can display images on the commandline, you just won't see any text before and after. Using different vga= options will still change the resolution for it.

It still probably shouldn't be shown as an example though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]