Fotopup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tronkel

Fotopup

#1 Post by tronkel »

Here's a link to a live CD that contains digital photographic workflow tools that include amongst others, Darktable, UFRAW, and the Gimp.

This live CD is a remaster of a version of a community-based version of Puppy Linux- Tahrpup64 that I've named Fotopup. Use the link to save the fotopup.iso file to your computer and burn this file as an image to CD or DVD or even to a USB stick. You can now use this to boot your PC/laptop. When it has booted through to the desktop, you'll find the photo items in the graphics section of the start menu button.

This could be very useful to anyone who doesn't want to bother with commercial software such as Adobe Lightroom etc. This latest stable version of Darktable (1.6.9) can easily stand up against Lightroom.

If you exit the system, you can do so without touching or interfering with your current OS or file system - a great standby in case you ever need it. Feed back welcome!

Link to Fotopup: https://mega.nz/#!hJVD0IIK!Yvf1RJs2evEP ... SxeYHKASs0
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Hmmm, mega seems to dislike my browser and won't let me in...
:(

tronkel

#3 Post by tronkel »

@Greengeek

Tut tut, that's not very friendly of Mega, is it now?

I did have some trouble formatting the URL to the file in the Murga forum. Have another go at it, being careful not to include the url hashtags at either end of the url itself.

Here it is again:

https://mega.nz/#!hJVD0IIK!Yvf1RJs2evEP ... SxeYHKASs0

If you have any more trouble, let me know please, and I'll try something else. Works for me here in Vienna.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

They don't like my ancient browser (FF17ESR) and there doesn't seem any way to bypass the upgrade notice and step through to the actual file. so I will try other browsers later tonight.
Attachments
megalockout.jpg
(24.15 KiB) Downloaded 1921 times

ally

#5 Post by ally »

hey geek

just preparing upload to the archive so keep an eye out....

:)

file up:

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... otopup.iso

:)

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Hi Tronkel,
thanks for this pup. It came at a good time for me as I am scanning and converting a big bunch of photos and transparencies that my father accumulated during his lifetime. Some of them are so faded but using Fotopup and GIMP I have learned how to improve them considerably.

Also - using fotopup made me realise that my Toshiba laptop is actually a 64 bit cpu!! I don't know how I previously missed that rather important fact.

cheers!

tronkel

#7 Post by tronkel »

@greengeek

I'm pleased that this is of help. I'll try to get the time to streamline this Fotopup a bit more efficiently by implementing it as a Woof-CE build and also enhance it a bit with Rawtherapee plus a whole bunch of Darktable styles ready to go out of the box. It'll mean that the ISO will be a tad bigger though - c'est la vie!
Also - using fotopup made me realise that my Toshiba laptop is actually a 64 bit cpu!!
As it happens, I had a similar experience today myself, with an old Macbook from 2007 on which I wanted to install Lubuntu. I could hardly believe that this old buddy was indeed capable of running a 64 bit distro.

2007? That long ago? 64 bit? I must really be getting old now :-(

Puppus Dogfellow

another mirror for fotopup

#8 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

tronkel

#9 Post by tronkel »

@ally, @puppus-dogfellow

Many thanks to both of you for hosting Fotopup. It's a enormous help. :-)

oui

#10 Post by oui »

Hi

Very interesting

Is a list of added applications somewhere (I am downloading, it is a bit slow and have to wait to see myself, but it is also sometimes better to know what the matter is!)

Are they all from Original trusty tahr depot from Ubuntu or are older ones also in the iso?

tronkel

#11 Post by tronkel »

@oui

This Tahrpup 64-based remaster simply contains all of the original packages from Tahrpup64 plus the latest stable version of Darktable (1.6.9). The version of Darktable provided by the Tahrpup repos is back at 1.4 something. The included Gimp 2.8 though, comes directly from the Tahrpup repo.

When I get some spare time, I'll rebuild this from Woof-CE and also include Rawtherapee and some extra Darktable styles.

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

Good show, tronkel! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

oui

#13 Post by oui »

Very interesting! Thank you tronkel!
When I get some spare time, I'll rebuild this from Woof-CE and also include Rawtherapee and some extra Darktable styles.
I would recommand here to include the depositories for Ubuntu 16.04 in Woof-CE and to try it directly with that perhaps last 32/64 bit LTS version of Ubuntu (as it is possible that Ubuntu never more after that will distribute a 32 bit Ubuntu): Fotopup would even become usable for years because the newest LTS. You have 5 little months to be ready as soon 16.04 become stable :wink:

tronkel

#14 Post by tronkel »

I would recommand here to include the depositories for Ubuntu 16.04 in Woof-CE
I'm no Ubuntu expert, but I've read somewhere on the Ubuntu blogs, that 16.04 is going to have fundamental changes made to the underlying system - amongst other things, the X graphical interface. This could impact the stability of 16.04 immediately after its release - nothing new for Ubuntu LTS releases though. A period of grace will therefore be required before basing any derivatives on this release - in order to just be sure that the Pup itself is stable.

This is months away from now though, so to bridge the time gap in the meantime, I think I'll just do another remaster to include Rawtherapee and the extra Darktable styles. I'll mull this over though.

Pelo

How-to use Darktable ? I need some lessons.

#15 Post by Pelo »

Gimp and darktable ?
Ah, ISO downloaded without a message, Surprise :)
Tahrpup 6.5 is the fastest Dsitro !
Attachments
Krita.jpg
Added Krita
(77.67 KiB) Downloaded 928 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 16 May 2016, 08:54, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Hi Tronkel, I have been having a quick look at running Viber in Puppy and it needs a 64bit pup so I gave it a try in Fotopup - it gives xcb errors related to QT5 and I'm pretty lost so I thought I would ask if you know anything about QT5 in a 64bit pup. Is it pre-installed in Fotopup? cheers

ps: I tried the 64 bit deb from here

Pelo

Free of charge calls between Viber members;

#17 Post by Pelo »

After check, "Viber for Linux vous permet d'envoyer des messages et de téléphoner gratuitement à d'autres utilisateurs Viber", Free of charge calls between Viber members;
Fotopup is 308MB puppy. yet dowloaded.
"darktable is an open source photography workflow application and RAW developer. A virtual lighttable and darkroom for photographers. It manages your digital negatives in a database, lets you view them through a zoomable lighttable and enables you to develop raw images and enhance them."

Darkroom concepts
3.2.1. Pixelpipe, module order, and history stack
3.2.2. Interacting with modules
3.2.3. Module presets
3.2.4. Multiple instances
3.2.5. Blending
3.2.6. Blending operators
3.2.7. Drawn mask
3.2.8. Parametric mask
3.2.9. Combining drawn and parametric masks
3.2.10. Color management
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

iso for darktable and Gimp added,

#18 Post by Pelo »

Well... was it necessary to release an specific iso for darktable and Gimp added, that is the question.Nevertheles your Puppy is working as it should, nothing to trash, in the contrary you could add some more graphics apps. .
Our french Puppies are artistic yet, but not shown as an evidence in their name (Triton and ToOpPy)

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

Hi Tronkel - I am trying to run a 32bit utility in fotopup but the system can't see it. Do I need the 32bit compatibility libs? If so how do I get them into fotopup please? cheers

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

Hello tronkel.

Sorry in advance for the silly question:

What window manager does your FotoPup use? Your usual favorite, icewm?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)