tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
TJK

#441 Post by TJK »

This is the best pup I've ever used! Well done!!

It installed easily on my usb flashdrive with unetbootin, and all my addition apps installed without a hitch (x2go was even in the PPM). Within no time at all everything was working and it became my primary distro.

I just have a bit of a problem getting the same window settings as previous pups. I don't remember the name of the specific settings, but I'm not getting JMW to automatically give focus to the window that opens or moves to the top of the desktop (I always have to click on it with the mouse). I have tried changing "sloppy focus" but that doesn't help. I just remember a lot more options available in other versions of JMW window manager.

Oh yes, one last question: are there any plans to make it possible for users to easily run all network apps under spot? I realize that there is the Login and Security Manager, but no apps that I use are supported -- I currently use Slimjet and a shared destop that I would like to run under spot -- and it'd be nice if I could just select apps to run under spot.

mavrothal

#442 Post by mavrothal »

TJK wrote:Oh yes, one last question: are there any plans to make it possible for users to easily run all network apps under spot?
Have you tried "run-as-spot" by jamesbond? (I guess this could be in woof-CE if JB ever commits it :wink: )
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bigpup

#443 Post by bigpup »

Have you tried the Login and Security Manager after installing the programs and doing a save and reboot?

There is also this if you select more in the Login and Security Manager.
Attachments
capture22571.png
(14.27 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Terry H

#444 Post by Terry H »

First time running Tahrpup64. installed FbBox 3.0, Firefox-Portable and Google-Chrome-portable. All working well. Excellent work. Thank you.
Attachments
ScreenShot2.png
(140.25 KiB) Downloaded 912 times

TJK

#445 Post by TJK »

bigpup wrote:Have you tried the Login and Security Manager after installing the programs and doing a save and reboot?
I tried installing Slimjet, but it complains about root issues...
And I tried installing dropbox and got this error msg:

Code: Select all

[get_extra_trace_info failed]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 614, in boot_error
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 3759, in get_dropbox_path
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'config_dict'

Original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 4065, in main_startup
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 1788, in run
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 863, in startup_low
  File "dropbox/client/multiaccount/instance_database.py", line 821, in __init__
  File "dropbox/client/multiaccount/instance_database.py", line 883, in check_directory
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 635, in safe_makedirs
  File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/root/spot/.dropbox/instance_db'
There were other apps I wanted to install but didn't try anymore after these issues...

Illutorium

#446 Post by Illutorium »

@666philb:
I will be wait for build Kernel at 4.2.8 (for PAE)

bigpup

#447 Post by bigpup »

TJK wrote:I tried installing Slimjet, but it complains about root issues...
And I tried installing dropbox and got this error msg
You got these programs from where?

Slimjet - Try getting it from here:
https://www.copy.com/s/t%3AgF9dHT29oq4l ... Boid%3A245
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Getting a 64Bit Slimjet

#448 Post by mikeslr »

Hi TK,

Interest in slimjet seems to be in the air. If you can't get a 64Bit the easy way, try this: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 199#878199.

mikesLr

gcmartin

#449 Post by gcmartin »

@Illutorium. For kernel changes, you "can" use the Change_Kernel app in your PUP's Menu. You can get any number of kernels from @StemSee.

Use at your own risk! ... but, properly used, it works.

BTW: Anyone know of a tutorial for use of this utility?

666philb

#450 Post by 666philb »

gcmartin wrote:
BTW: Anyone know of a tutorial for use of this utility?
to use it type

change_kernels
in to a terminal.

you need the vmlinuz & zdrv.sfs from a modern pup,
or you can grab any kernels from ibiblio http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... e_kernels/
or stemsees thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96723
these will need unzipping
then either use the folder icons to locate the specified files with the file manager or drag and drop them onto the 'change_kernels' gui.
click ok then reboot
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

TJK

#451 Post by TJK »

bigpup wrote: Slimjet - Try getting it from here:
https://www.copy.com/s/t%3AgF9dHT29oq4l ... Boid%3A245
At the time I checked the above site there was no 64-bit version, but I downloaded and installed the Tahr version that was there, because I thought it should work anyway (I did uninstall my 64-bit debian version using PPM before the pet). However, nothing worked. So I tried deleting all slimjet config, cache and other SJ folders. Tried installing the pet again - and it didn't work. I could have tried the sfs, but I decided to downloaded the debian 64-bit version from the slimjet website, and with a minor tweaks it was up and running. To resolve the root issue with the standard install, I have modified the last line in /opt/slimjet/flashpeak-slimjet to:

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/slimjet" "$@"--user-data-dir=/root/.config/slimjet
I'm hoping that I'll not have to re-edit this when I upgrade (whereas changing the menu entry has to be fixed with each upgrade)
Oh, yes. I then tried to run slimjet under spot, by following the directions in Login and Security Manager -- and that works now too.
Should I be concerned that the Debian version that I"m using will not have some of the features that the pet or sfs version has, in the link at the top of this msg?

NOTE: If you change the last line in the script, as per above, it will mess up all the local Puppy help links... so beware! (If anyone knows how I can modify this so that it will work better, let me know.)

TJK

#452 Post by TJK »

It's been so long since I've done an upgrade... I've forgotten how to do it or if it's possible. (I hate the idea of a new install -- loosing all my custom installs and theme/color tweaks).

I initially installed this version of Tahr64 with unetbootin on an ext USB drive, and it starts with Grub4Dos.

bigpup

#453 Post by bigpup »

There is a way to run 32bit programs in Tahrpup64.
The info is in the topic for Tahrpup64 in the release info.

Good to see you got it figured out.!

The official releases of Puppy 64bit have not been out long enough for the pet packages to catch up.
Not a lot of 64bit pet packages made yet.
What you did is what has to be done right now.

The first page of the forums Additional Software has a few posts of 64bit stuff.
YaPI(any iso installer)

revbish

Quickpet?

#454 Post by revbish »

I just installed tahrpup64 on both laptops (a Toshiba Satellite and a Lenovo Thinkpad) that were previously running 32-bit Tahrpup. Everything was and still is smooth as silk. Just wondering if there are any plans to make a Quickpet for the 64-bit Tahrpup, as I didn't see one anywhere, and I used it to update, add software, etc. for both the 32-bit Tahrpups. Thanks very much for the best operating systems I've ever used. I've used some version of Puppy for about 10 years now. I have Windows 7 on both laptops but never use it; I cringe at the thought!!

revbish

Touchpad configuration

#455 Post by revbish »

I just installed this 64-bit version a couple days ago and love it very much. However, after turning the touchpad off with the first app in the "Desktop" menu, this setting isn't saved upon powering off the computer. I'm using a Lenovo X230 Thinkpad.

ally

#456 Post by ally »

I have the same problem, turned nine off in bios

:)

rufwoof

#457 Post by rufwoof »

Is there a particular reason why you want to turn the touchpad off?

I was looking to buy a Lenovo the other day, but all sold out across the whole area. Good/low price for a modest laptop/tablet (360 screen rotation). Bit physically thick as a tablet but at the low price can't complain (other than I can't get one :().

Is it that using the screen as a touchpad is just so convienient that the touchpad just gets in the way?
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

revbish

Touchpad configuration

#458 Post by revbish »

My screen is not able to be used as a "touchpad", but I prefer using a mouse anyway. The touchpad on this one and on the Toshiba I turn off since they get in the way and cause typing errors when using the keyboard. That's it. Messes up my typing and I don't need it or want it.

ally

#459 Post by ally »

I use the mouse 'tit' (red button), I just cannot get along with touchpads

the lenovo machines are ace, very reliable, plentiful and a god range of accessories (drive caddies, docks etc.)

:)

revbish

#460 Post by revbish »

Yes I like my "Stinkpad" too. I just tried the BIOS disabling. When I disable the touchpad, it also disables my USB mouse, and the little red "tit", too, even though the tit and the touchpad have separate disabling controls! I tried every combination of disabling/enabling and I must have the touchpad enabled to have any kind of mouse function. Weird! I had a typing error while typing this because of the touchpad. The Toshiba has a physical button at the touchpad to turn it off, so it's no problem. This is strange. I'll just have to change the setting every time I boot up I guess.