tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
miriam

#1301 Post by miriam »

A bit more fiddling and I found a way to add the Ctrl-N key shortcut to the popup Rox menu. It is unsatisfying, but works.

The file /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/menus2 contains all the existing Rox menu key shortcuts and a lot of others that are commented out. For some reason the Ctrl key is given there as <Primary>, however the Shift key is <Shift> and the Alt key is <Alt> and the Windows key is <Super>.

I'd still love to get rid of the Ctrl-N key shortcut that steps through menu items. The arrow keys are perfectly suitable for moving the selection around.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

666philb

#1302 Post by 666philb »

s243a wrote:If you are using a save directory in an Ext4 file system is there somewhere other than the save directory which files get saved? I ask because I deleted the save directory but upon re-boot there was some evidence that not everything was deleted. For instance geany remember some of my files and it showed changes I made to them.

to delete the save directory it needs not to be loaded, so boot pfix=ram or delete from a different puppy
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#1303 Post by 666philb »

s243a wrote:Another wierd thing happened. I replaced the kernal with the latest kernal. Everything worked fine. However, after installing virtualbox guest additions, tahrpup would no long detect my ethernet interface on startup.

While this sounds like more of a virtualbox problem than a tahrpup problem, I don't have this problem on fatdog64, although I haven't tried upgrading the kernal of fatdog 64. The reason, I tried this with tahrpup is that I noticed fatdog64 worked better with virtualbox and I also noticed it had a newer kernal, so I thought perhaps guest services work better with newer kernals.

Also another wierd thing relted to this is that when I replace the kernal, Virtualbox gives me an error when trying to do a snapshot.
you probably just need the kernel sources.sfs for the new kernel so that virtualbox can build its kernel driver ....you'll also need the devx.sfs loaded
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

miriam

#1304 Post by miriam »

Thanks 666philb for the suggestion. I tried assigning Ctrl-N to nothing in my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal file

Code: Select all

<Key mask="C" key="n"></Key>
but no luck.

I'll just have to resign myself to being unable to assign that key combination in the usual way, I guess. No worries. Editing the /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/menus2 by hand is not difficult... and I only need to do it once.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

s243a

#1305 Post by s243a »

666philb wrote: you probably just need the kernel sources.sfs for the new kernel so that virtualbox can build its kernel driver ....you'll also need the devx.sfs loaded
I've done this. For the old kernal the mouse doesn't work, for the new kernal the Ethernet interface doesn't load.

For the old kernal, I get the following error when I try to adjust my touch-pad settings:
"Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"

It seems as though the guest services is trying to replace some of the drivers on tarhpup but unsuccessfully so.

For the new kernal, I noticed there are some instructions for upgrading the kernal. I need to read them to make sure I did it properly.

For the old kernal, I need to see if the virtual box guest additions are modifying any of the statup scripts. Perhaps, if I build the guest addition in a version with a save file, I"ll better be able to see what's changed.

I wonder if VirtualBox is making the assumption that this is Ubutu and as a consequence, misconfiguring some things.

mtend

Installing HAL for DRM streaming

#1306 Post by mtend »

Has anyone been able to stream DRM video from sites like Hulu using Firefox with tahrpup 6.0.5?

Searching the forum I found and tried "hal-0.5.11.pet" and "hal-flash-0.3.0-i486-1.pet" but they were not successful.

On Hulu it says Loading One Time To Improve Experience but afterwards the video never plays, it stays blank.

deslife

Git to tahrpup?

#1307 Post by deslife »

As many people already know what github etc are for. I was wondering how do you install it to puppy linux? So I can easily pull and push code to github etc.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Git
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. As used by GitHub

Yet there are no info about installation. I have found lot of messages about git usage.. yet I haven't found any recent working solution to make git work in puppy linux especially tahrpup. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Any help is much appreciated.

gyro

Re: Git to tahrpup?

#1308 Post by gyro »

deslife wrote:As many people already know what github etc are for. I was wondering how do you install it to puppy linux? So I can easily pull and push code to github etc.
You just have to download and load the devx sfs file with "SFS-Load". On tahrpup 6.0.5 it's "devx_tahr_6.0.5.sfs".
It's in my tahrpup 6.0.5, but then I always run with the devx sfs loaded.

gyro

deslife

Re: Git to tahrpup?

#1309 Post by deslife »

gyro wrote:
deslife wrote:As many people already know what github etc are for. I was wondering how do you install it to puppy linux? So I can easily pull and push code to github etc.
You just have to download and load the devx sfs file with "SFS-Load". On tahrpup 6.0.5 it's "devx_tahr_6.0.5.sfs".
It's in my tahrpup 6.0.5, but then I always run with the devx sfs loaded.

gyro
Damn that was easy. :D now I feel like a noob as I am.

Well still its a bit mystery what load of things devx contains.. as arch linux had the makepkg etc. But thanks!! :D

gyro

#1310 Post by gyro »

Nevermind.
gyro
Last edited by gyro on Tue 23 Feb 2016, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#1311 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:
666philb wrote: you probably just need the kernel sources.sfs for the new kernel so that virtualbox can build its kernel driver ....you'll also need the devx.sfs loaded
I've done this. For the old kernal the mouse doesn't work, for the new kernal the Ethernet interface doesn't load.

For the old kernal, I get the following error when I try to adjust my touch-pad settings:
"Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"

It seems as though the guest services is trying to replace some of the drivers on tarhpup but unsuccessfully so.

For the new kernal, I noticed there are some instructions for upgrading the kernal. I need to read them to make sure I did it properly.

For the old kernal, I need to see if the virtual box guest additions are modifying any of the statup scripts. Perhaps, if I build the guest addition in a version with a save file, I"ll better be able to see what's changed.

I wonder if VirtualBox is making the assumption that this is Ubutu and as a consequence, misconfiguring some things.
I've done some googling and I think it is an xorg bug
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=688860
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10853
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54353#c4

So now I need to figure out how to upgrade xorg.

I found this out by noticing the following in the dmesg output:

ImExPS/2vGeneric Explorer Mouse as /devicses/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input9
which means my synaptic touchpad wasn't being recognized.

I'm not sure if upgrading xorg will solve the ethernet problem but ethernet works when I uninstall guest additions.

Edit: I found out that you can disable mouse integration by pressing the host key (right control key in my case) and "I" at the same time. right-ctrl+I (as noted here). When you do this you re-gain control of the mouse. Also After doing this I see that my ethernet interface is up so i can connect to the net. At least it works on the upgraded 4.0.4 kernel. I am not sure if Ethernet and virtual box guest additions work together on the kernal that presently comes with tahrpup.

s243a

#1312 Post by s243a »

So here is my first successful remaster:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjldvpj1urgec ... e.iso?dl=0

Includes tahrpup with an upgraded kernal. (4.0.4) DevX and the kernal source are sfs files on the iso. Also I added all the default modules from the kernal source. The last step was required to get internet to work on my Virtual Machine.

Now, where I'm having problems is trying to figure out how to upgrade the xorg server. It seems that Virtual Box doesn't have any mouse drivers (which are required for mouse integration) for old versions of the xorg server.

If I type

X -version
I'm told that I am running 1.15.1

However, in the package manager I installed:
xserver-xorg_7.7+lubuntu8.1i386
xorg_7.7+lubuntu8.1_i386

I even tried installing these packages outside of the xwindow system. I found out that I can remove packages from the command line with petget by prefixing the package name with a minus sign.

ally

#1313 Post by ally »

TJK

#1314 Post by TJK »

There's been some recent discussion of installing Virtualbox in TahrPup, BUT I am wanting to know if anyone has installed Tahrpup in Virtualbox (or if it's possible)?

I have researched the topic and found no positive info on how to do it. Mostly I've found problems similar to what I've been having. "Kernel Panic errors", when booting have been around since abt v5. I even found a virtualbox bug report that stated it had been fixed. https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12748 I have tried installing v.5.2.8, v5.7.1 and 6.0.5 (PAE and no-PAE). All versions have failed.

I then looked for a Virtualbox image for PL, but the most recent that i found was 5.2. It did, however, install and work with no problems! Unfortunately I can't use it for my purposes as it has too many limitations (can't install recent deb apps).

Has anyone been able to install TahrPup in a recent version of Virtualbox? If so, how did you do it? OR Does anyone know if there is a VB/VM image of TahrPup?

s243a

#1315 Post by s243a »

TJK wrote:There's been some recent discussion of installing Virtualbox in TahrPup, BUT I am wanting to know if anyone has installed Tahrpup in Virtualbox (or if it's possible)?

I have researched the topic and found no positive info on how to do it. Mostly I've found problems similar to what I've been having. "Kernel Panic errors", when booting have been around since abt v5. I even found a virtualbox bug report that stated it had been fixed. https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12748 I have tried installing v.5.2.8, v5.7.1 and 6.0.5 (PAE and no-PAE). All versions have failed.

I then looked for a Virtualbox image for PL, but the most recent that i found was 5.2. It did, however, install and work with no problems! Unfortunately I can't use it for my purposes as it has too many limitations (can't install recent deb apps).

Has anyone been able to install TahrPup in a recent version of Virtualbox? If so, how did you do it? OR Does anyone know if there is a VB/VM image of TahrPup?
The above iso I posted should work with virtual box. I Actually created it by remastering tahrpup from within virtual box. It does not yet include the guest additions because I want to figure out how to upgrade the xorg server before installing the guest additions. I have successfully booted from the above iso but haven't tested it much beyond that.

On the machine that I created the above iso, I have tried installing the guest additions. I believe that the shared clipboard and folder work but not mouse & display integration. This means that it does not work as seamlessly as fatdog64 works within virtualbox.

Well trying to deal with the many issues that I mentioned previously in this thread I have observed the kernel panic.

It occurred when I changed the settings under
System:Acceleration

My working system has both the following boxes checked:
*Enable VT_x/AMD-V
*Enable Nested Paging

The paravirtualization interface is set to default. I believe that both Hyper-V and KVM are also valid settings for my system. I'm running VB in win 8.1 in an Intel core i7 64bits.

Under the processor tab you should have *Enable PAE/NX
checked if you are using the PAE version of tahrpup. However, looking at my system now it may work anyway, without checking this but maybe this is because I'm looking at a system where I installed guest additions.

Under Motherboard I have:
*Chipset=PIIX3
*Pointing Device: USB Tablet
*Extended Features=Enable I/O APIC

Under Networking I have
*Enable Network Adapater
*Adapter Type PCnet-FAST III
*Cable Connected

For this adapater if it isn't working do
modprobe pcnet32

if you select one of the Intel adapters use:
modeprobe e1000

I'm not sure what the correct command is if you select virtio-net as your network interface, nor do I know if I installed it in the above iso as part of the default settings for kernel modules.

s243a

#1316 Post by s243a »

Okay, for me to try tomorow. Download:
X.Org X Server 1.16.3 from here:
http://www.x.org/releases/individual/xserver/

So that I have the same version as fatdog64. However, this time change the prefix to /usr/

The default prefix is /usr/local/ which doesn't match how tahrpup is set up. As a consequence I installed it in the wrong spot.

Instructions for using automake are here:
http://mij.oltrelinux.com/devel/autoconf-automake/

I think what I have do is the following:

autoconf
./configure --prefix=/usr/
make
make install
I'm not sure if --prefix=/usr/ works. I may have to edit a file to set the prefix. I'm not an expert at automake.

I also tried compiling the newest version of xorg-server and it had too many dependencies so I'll stick with 1.16.3 (i.e. the same version as fatdog64). Also note that when I did the above (not including the prefix part) there were some warnings, so while "X.Org X Server 1.16.3" compiles as is without adding any libraries I still may neec some other dependencies. One of the warnings said that autoplay wouldn't work. This sounds important.

Also if anyone is trying this at home it may be wise to exit the xwin server before typing "make install". I am not sure if this is necessary but it seems like a good idea.

s243a

#1317 Post by s243a »

Hmm...That didn't work. It says now that I have the newer version of xorg but I can't start the desktop with xwin. I get an error, and the puppy xorg configure wizard now gives me an error. I wonder what else I need to do for this upgrade process.

TJK

#1318 Post by TJK »

s243a wrote:
TJK wrote:There's been some recent discussion of installing Virtualbox in TahrPup, BUT I am wanting to know if anyone has installed Tahrpup in Virtualbox (or if it's possible)?

The above iso I posted should work with virtual box. I Actually created it by remastering tahrpup from within virtual box. It does not yet include the guest additions because I want to figure out how to upgrade the xorg server before installing the guest additions. I have successfully booted from the above iso but haven't tested it much beyond that.

On the machine that I created the above iso, I have tried installing the guest additions. I believe that the shared clipboard and folder work but not mouse & display integration. This means that it does not work as seamlessly as fatdog64 works within virtualbox.

Well trying to deal with the many issues that I mentioned previously in this thread I have observed the kernel panic.

*Enable VT_x/AMD-V
*Enable Nested Paging

The paravirtualization interface is set to default. I believe that both Hyper-V and KVM are also valid settings for my system. I'm running VB in win 8.1 in an Intel core i7 64bits.

checked if you are using the PAE version of tahrpup. However, looking at my system now it may work anyway, without checking this but maybe this is because I'm looking at a system where I installed guest additions.

*Chipset=PIIX3

Under Networking I have
*Enable Network Adapater
*Cable Connected

modprobe pcnet32

modeprobe e1000

I'm not sure what the correct command is if you select virtio-net as your network interface, nor do I know if I installed it in the above iso as part of the default settings for kernel modules.
I gave your remastered iso a try, but I still get the kernel panic error. I attached a scnshot of the setting that I used -- and I followed the specs you mentioned in your msg.
Attachments
TahrPupVBox.png
(88.66 KiB) Downloaded 1461 times

s243a

#1319 Post by s243a »

TJK wrote:
s243a wrote:

*Enable VT_x/AMD-V
*Enable Nested Paging

*Chipset=PIIX3

Under Networking I have
*Enable Network Adapater
*Cable Connected

modprobe pcnet32

modeprobe e1000

I gave your remastered iso a try, but I still get the kernel panic error. I attached a scnshot of the setting that I used -- and I followed the specs you mentioned in your msg.
Hmmm....I see you have a hard drive on your virtual machine. Is it empty. I have had corupted save files cause kernel panic before. Also is your virtual machine up to date? Perhaps upgrading would help.

I see you nare using KVM for paravirtualization. Have you tried setting this to default?

TJK

#1320 Post by TJK »

s243a wrote:
TJK wrote: I gave your remastered iso a try, but I still get the kernel panic error. I attached a scnshot of the setting that I used -- and I followed the specs you mentioned in your msg.
Hmmm....I see you have a hard drive on your virtual machine. Is it empty. I have had corupted save files cause kernel panic before. Also is your virtual machine up to date? Perhaps upgrading would help.

I see you nare using KVM for paravirtualization. Have you tried setting this to default?
I disconnected all drives except the TahrPup iso -- didn't help
My VB is up-to-date.
Even though it shows KVM, it was set to "default".
I tried every other acceleration option. The only option that eliminated the kernel panic error is when I unchecked Hardware Acceleration -- but it stalled when reaching "Performing a switch_root...".