ndiswrapper and NetgearWG111v2 USB wifi

Booting, installing, newbie
gschl

ndiswrapper and NetgearWG111v2 USB wifi

#1 Post by gschl »

I am trying to get the above mentioned usb-wlan-stick working and have studied what has been written up to now in the forum.
I have the problem that after typing "modprobe ndiswrapper" the answer is: "module ndiswrapper not found"
I do however get info on the driver installed when I type "ndiswrapper -l"
Where is my mistake?.According to other contributors, the stick should work well with Puppy.
Thanks everyone for an answer to find the solution....

Rickrandom

#2 Post by Rickrandom »

You need to say which version of Puppy you are using as I think ndiswrapper doesn't work on 2.12.

Also how it is being run, e.g. from CD, frugal install, full hard drive install, may be relevant.

Shagbag

#3 Post by Shagbag »

I believe there is 'ndiswrapper' the program and 'ndiswrapper' the kernel module.

I'm having a similar problem with my USB install - ndiswrapper works flawlessly if I use my CD-R Puppy but craps out with ndiswrapper if I use my USB Puppy. I get the very same error message as you. I used the very same CD-R Puppy to make (ie. I used the Puppy Universal Installer) my USB Puppy. Why one works and other doesn't is beyond me. Weird.

gschl

#4 Post by gschl »

I am using the latest puppy, think it is 2.13
and use it as liveCD, burned to a DVD-RW in order to have the feature of saving changes upon shutdown.....

Green Donkey

#5 Post by Green Donkey »

Works for me. I followed the directions on the Wireless setup screen. The only difference is that I am using a HD install.

oldage

ndiswrapper problem in USBmemory installation

#6 Post by oldage »

I have some time using puppy without problems, but now when I try to use my usb installation in a wirelles laptop, ndiswrapper doesnt work. When I use modprobe to load ndiswrapper it say FATAL: module ndiswrapper not found . It is a usb memory working installation 2.16 and the driver to install is bcmwl5.inf. Driver installation is ok and ndiswrapper -l show it and hardware is found. Any sugestion??

jonyo

#7 Post by jonyo »

Might be a conflict goin on.
2.16 auto loads native wifi drivers on boot if they are there (even sometimes if the driver doesn't work). May have to blacklist that driver if wanting to use ndiswrapper.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

ndiswrapper was commonly necessary several years ago when many/most wifi devices were unsupported in Linux. The situation in 2007 has changed.

Step 1. Research your device to discover its chipset.
Apparently the WG111 v2 contains the Realtek 8187 chipset.

So now you know what Linux driver to look for. There is a driver for the RTL8187 compatible with Puppy 2.12/2.13/2.14/2.15CE/2.16 here -
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... 2-to-2.14/

Instructions, and report of success here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 829#120829

Inuyasha

#9 Post by Inuyasha »

One should modprobe without the .ko, at least this is for Puppy 3.01.
I think that may have to be done for some earlier versions.
[img]http://tinypic.com/43nkxdw.png[/img]
[img]http://tinypic.com/2me7cie.png[/img]

GeoffS

#10 Post by GeoffS »

I'm running Puppy 2.12 and a WG111v2 on this IBM 600E. The code below has been working for a couple of years with variations for different locations. All thanks to tempestuous :D
## Home1
echo
## Load the driver

if [ -e /etc/dhcpc/*.pid ] ; then
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
fi

iwconfig wlan0 essid Home1 key xxx-xxxx-xxxx mode Managed
sleep 3

##dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd -t 60 -h puppypc -d wlan0
exit
Good luck