Best WiFi card and service for Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jhecht

Best WiFi card and service for Puppy?

#1 Post by jhecht »

Hi all,

I've got a netbook that I use for field use. It's got internal wireless ability that works fine, but I'm getting service calls that ask me to provide my own WiFi so as to not use the client's WiFi network. Annoying...

I need to find out what WiFi adaptors work well with Puppy, and what the most appropriate WiFi network would be to work with here in NYC. These are occasional needs - 2 or 3 times a month at most, so it's not a high volume kind of thing. An economical or pay-per-use network would be very helpful.

The netbook I'm using for field work is an Asus Eee PC 900HA, and it's currently running Puppy 5.6, although I could easily change that if needed. The Asus has 3 USB ports, and a MMC SD port that I've never played with. It also has an Ethernet port.

I only need access in NYC, as that's where all my field work is. What are my best hardware and network options?

Thanks in advance to all for your help - Puppy rocks! :)
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline
rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

If your computer already has a working WiFi adapter (which you did not identify), then why do you need another adapter?
jhecht

#3 Post by jhecht »

rcrsn51 wrote:If your computer already has a working WiFi adapter (which you did not identify), then why do you need another adapter?
I might not need a second one. How do I identify the internal adapter? I have never had to do this, so I don't know how. Thanks.
rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

jhecht wrote:How do I identify the internal adapter?
Run the command "lspci -nnk". Identify the kernel module used by the network controller.

I might not need a second one.
I don't understand what your objective here is.
jhecht

#5 Post by jhecht »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jhecht wrote:How do I identify the internal adapter?
Run the command "lspci -nnk". Identify the kernel module used by the network controller.

I might not need a second one.
I don't understand what your objective here is.
Thanks for the tip. My goal is to get on the Internet from a job site, when I am not allowed to use the client's network, either hard wired or wireless.

My home Internet access is via Time Warner Cable through a digi-modem, and a router. I get my (in-apartment) wireless from the router. TWC may/may not provide wireless access for me in other locations, I have to ask them.

Running the command you kindly provided, gives a >very< long reply. The first part of it says:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller [8086:27ac] (rev03)
Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 3)
Subsystem ASUStek Computer Inc. Device [1043:8340]
Kernel driver in use: i95

Later on it says:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet [1969:1026] (rev b0)

This goes on much longer. Do you need more info? Is there a way to copy the text message from the terminal window (URXVT) to a text editor? I'm a lousy/very slow typist (grin). Thanks!
Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Your Wi-Fi is the *network* output of Bills command.

As for copy and paste, it's *highlight*, then center click, or left+right simultaneously to paste.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
jhecht

#7 Post by jhecht »

Semme wrote:Your Wi-Fi is the *network* output of Bills command.

As for copy and paste, it's *highlight*, then center click, or left+right simultaneously to paste.
Thanks - I'll post what I find in a bit. I only have a 2 button trackball, so no center button. What's the 'copy' function in that instance?
Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

If those buttons together don't paste, take Bills command and run it like this:

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk > ~/lspci.txt
Then copy and paste from the file it generates in your home directory.

:idea: Install a terminal that makes it easy >> LXTerminal or Sakura.

And there won't be any need to keep quoting, just dump the output.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<