Some questions about Savefiles and how to manage them

Booting, installing, newbie
Euro240

Some questions about Savefiles and how to manage them

#1 Post by Euro240 »

Hi Guys,
If I run straight from the cd, for the first time, my puppy uses ram to save my files before copying them to a save file upon my first shut down.

However, I have noticed that it is very easy to fill my save file after using puppy for a few weeks.

In that case, is there a way to make puppy use my ram, each time i boot up, and then only save to my save file once I begin to shut down my system?

I guess puppy is programmed to save my progress to my save file every 10 minutes or so, but is there a way to stop this and use ram?

Obviously I don't want to start my pup first time every time, as I still need some of my settings (so I still prefer to boot with my save file loaded.

Hope this makes sense?
Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Avoid save file bloat and cap your browsers cache. Go ahead, run GdMap on your users folder..
Euro240

#3 Post by Euro240 »

Semme wrote:Avoid save file bloat and cap your browsers cache. Go ahead, run GdMap on your users folder..
My cache is capped.

I don't have time right now to download and instal Gdmap, but I will look into it later...
If it is bundled with puppy, then how do I use it?
6502coder

#4 Post by 6502coder »

The savefile is mainly for saving your customizations, but everything that is in your home (~) directory ends up in the savefile. Big data files such as videos, pictures, and MP3 files, should be kept out of the savefile. Store them somewhere else, such as in /mnt/home.

For more info and ideas, see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 769#468769
Packetteer

#5 Post by Packetteer »

Hi
Go to the menu item system then puppy event manager
Once puppy event manager is running click on the save session tab.

At the bottom of the dialog change the number from what ever it is to zero (0)

Now puppy will not save to your save file until you shut down.

Best Regards
John