tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
TJK

#521 Post by TJK »

Is there no 32-bit wine sfs file available for tahr64 (that I can run with the 32-bit library sfs)? (There's not one listed in the "official repo" sfs files, found in the tahr64 install apps menu -- and I can't find any when I search puppy linux forum.) Ideally I'd like wine32 with the 32-bit library files, all packed together in one sfs file.

666philb

#522 Post by 666philb »

hi TJK,

did i not put it in quickpet? if not, grab fatdogs wine here http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/700/
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

TJK

#523 Post by TJK »

I checked quickpet again, and clicked on Wine button... it IS an SFS file. I assumed that all the quickpet apps were pet files. Is there any way to tell, what they are (pet or sfs) without downloading?
666philb wrote:hi TJK,

did i not put it in quickpet? if not, grab fatdogs wine here http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/700/
--------------------
UPDATE: the Wine sfs file in quickpets does not work with my Tahr64 setup... winetricks, etc won't work. One error message that it gives is that it needs the freetype fonts =>2.0.5 (which aren't in the PPM repository). It also needs a libpngxx.so file. I would have thought these could be included in the wine sfs. I had also hoped that wine (and it's apps) would appear in the menu, but there is nothing...

So I'll give the other suggest FatDog64 wine sfs a try...

UPDATE2: FatDog has a sfs file called wine-depends... I thought it might be the files I'd need to get wine working -- but they didn't help. (I also have the 32-bit library sfs loaded.) Can anyone verify that wine-1.7.39-v.1.sfs works in their updated version of Tahr64?
Last edited by TJK on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#524 Post by James C »

Still working pretty well......

Code: Select all

root# inxi -Fxx
System:    Host: puppypc12956 Kernel: 4.1.11 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.4) Desktop: JWM 2.3.4 dm: N/A Distro: tahrpup64 6.0.5
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx serial: 150545593600028
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 42158.2 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.00 MHz 2: 2500.00 MHz 3: 2500.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz 5: 3500.00 MHz 6: 2500.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a65 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0be3 
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k4.1.11
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (6.6% used)
           1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB serial: N/A 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB serial: N/A 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4 
           No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 163 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 433.2/15927.3MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.42 running in rxvt) inxi: 1.9.17 

Code: Select all

root# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:      16309508      1270212     15039296       241612        79192
-/+ buffers:            1191020     15118488
Swap:      8396796            0      8396796
Attachments
03152016.jpg
(83.23 KiB) Downloaded 813 times

666philb

#525 Post by 666philb »

TJK wrote:I checked quickpet again, and clicked on Wine button... it IS an SFS file. I assumed that all the quickpet apps were pet files. Is there any way to tell, what they are (pet or sfs) without downloading?
666philb wrote:hi TJK,

--------------------
UPDATE: the Wine sfs file in quickpets does not work with my Tahr64 setup... winetricks, etc won't work. One error message that it gives is that it needs the freetype fonts =>2.0.5 (which aren't in the PPM repository). It also needs a libpngxx.so file. I would have thought these could be included in the wine sfs. I had also hoped that wine (and it's apps) would appear in the menu, but there is nothing...

So I'll give the other suggest FatDog64 wine sfs a try...

UPDATE2: FatDog has a sfs file called wine-depends... I thought it might be the files I'd need to get wine working -- but they didn't help. (I also have the 32-bit library sfs loaded.) Can anyone verify that wine-1.7.39-v.1.sfs works in their updated version of Tahr64?
hi TJK,

the wine sfs needs the 32bit compatibility sfs installed .... once installed type ldconfig into a terminal
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

OscarTalks

#526 Post by OscarTalks »

I think the 64bit version of TOR BROWSER BUNDLE runs OK if I do the usual chown to root:root and modify (and rename) the launcher script.

If you have a /mnt/home outside of pupsave the ideal method is to run the portable bundle from there, but if installing as a package I think it is best to place it in /root/my-applications (as I have done here) since it stores user profile data internally.

I think automatic updates will work but we would have to wait for one to arrive in order to test that for sure.
EDIT:- Was just doing a bit more testing and an update to 5.5.4 came through and the auto update worked. I will update these to that number now.

Tested briefly in tahrpup64-6.0.3.9 which is the only 64bit live CD I have to hand.

My Smokey01 space is limited and these are big and they are experimental so I am uploading to Yandex Disk.

https://yadi.sk/d/7AkxbX4NqJUah
Attachments
tor64.jpg
Tor Browser Bundle 64bit Version
(47.11 KiB) Downloaded 1074 times
Oscar in England

TJK

#527 Post by TJK »

666philb wrote:the wine sfs needs the 32bit compatibility sfs installed .... once installed type ldconfig into a terminal
I wasn't aware of "ldconfig", and that is what was needed to get wine working. Thanks.

Unfortunately I still don't have wine and wineapps in the Tahr64 menu... would be nice if that was fixed/implemented.

On a totally different topic: A Tahr64 bug that has really "bugged" me since I started using this PL version. It is, that the flSynclient Tapping settings are not saved (maybe all flSynclient aren't saved). Every time I reboot I need to re-set the flSynclient settings, otherwise I can't easily use my Touchpad. A fix for this would greatly be appreciated.

ally

#528 Post by ally »

Mike Walsh

#529 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Phil.

I think you've got another convert..!

Downloaded and installed Tahrpup64 this morning. Aside from a few little niggles (which I quickly figured out; like the Firewall.....I got my head round that one when I tried Slacko 64 briefly), it was all extremely straight-forward

There's no comparison, I'm afraid. Slacko (brilliant though Mick is), just won't work properly with my hardware, unlike, say, Slacko 570. Tahrpup, on the other hand, runs sweet as a nut. The original 32-bit Tahrpup was the first Puppy that ever worked properly on my big ol' Compaq Desktop. I know she's got an Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, but I've always run 32-bit Pups since they run so fast on here!

This is a revelation, though. It's no faster, but it does seem smoother, somehow. I quit using the 64-bit Ubuntus, because they kept crashing my hardware with Canonical's continuous, seemingly never-ending updates. I've no idea if it was being 64-bit that did it, ot whether it was the updates.....but as soon as I moved full-time to Puppy, the problems stopped. Just like that.

It'll be interesting to see how this runs on a day-to-day basis. I decided to try it out because I run Chrome-based browsers almost exclusively, and with Google now having officially dropped support for 32-bit Chrome, I thought, 'The writing's on the wall...' Chromium's still got 32-bit support (till next year), but because of Google's action, Adobe are stopping development of 32-bit PepperFlash very soon. I kinda feel I've been 'herded' into this move... :roll:

And even the Linux Flashplayer is being finally dropped next year as well, apparently.

One request for you (just a teensy one!) How about adding the 64-bit version of BitMeter-OS to the PPM/Quickpet? I'm running the 64-bit .deb at the moment, and Geoff did do a .pet of the 64-bit one. I haven't heard of any major complaints with either version.

Up to you of course. If you're interested, it's at my MediaFire account, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/download/36m0m ... -amd64.pet

I think this is a winner, Phil. Excellent work. Cheers!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#530 Post by Mike Walsh »

One small niggle that I can't, seemingly, fix. I can't get my printer running in CUPS 1.7.5 at all. It worked fine in 1.4.8, so I don't know if it's the newer version of CUPS that's the problem, or what it is exactly.

I've had both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers for it for some time now. I have the 32-bit compatibility libs SFS installed & loaded. Yet, every time I try (with either driver), up comes 'Filter failed' when I try to print a test page. Oh, I can always switch to one of the other Pups if I need to print summat off, but it kind of defeats the object of moving to 64-bit.....

Any body have any ideas, or advice to offer? Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread; I haven't had time to read all the way through it as yet..!

Marv

#531 Post by Marv »

Mike Walsh wrote:One small niggle that I can't, seemingly, fix. I can't get my printer running in CUPS 1.7.5 at all. It worked fine in 1.4.8, so I don't know if it's the newer version of CUPS that's the problem, or what it is exactly.

Any body have any ideas, or advice to offer? Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread; I haven't had time to read all the way through it as yet..!

What printer? If it is an HP, have a look hereabouts: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 505#895505
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

sheldonisaac

#532 Post by sheldonisaac »

Mike Walsh (IN PART) wrote:'The writing's on the wall...'
(re dropped ..) 32-bit support
I did do frugal installs of 64-bit slacko and tahrpup, on this 64-bit computer.
Being old and lazy, the prospect of needing an added package to run some favorite 32-bit software was a negative thing.
So I'm staying with 32-bit Puppys for the present.

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

watchdog

#533 Post by watchdog »

@Mike Walsh

I do not know if there is something new about printers' drivers in tahr64 but I have successfully installed hp printers and a brother laser printer. For brother printers search PPM for "brother". For hp printers I have repackaged the pets of fatdog64 600:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 222#860222

The repackaged hplip pets:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

Mike Walsh

#534 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Marv & watchdog.

Sorry, guys, fundamental rule of forum help; I'm always preaching to the noobs, and I forgot..! The printer in question is an Epson; an SX218, to be exact. This is a baby brother to (and a forerunner of) the business-class WorkForce series. I've been running this in all my Pups ('buntu- and Slackware-based) via a .deb package from Epson's site.

However, I've always had to install Bill's 'epson_inkjet_printer_escpr-1.4.0.pet' initially, and then modify it to the specific Epson driver afterwards, in order to get it to run the way it ought to.

So, boys & girls; any ideas? Any assistance would be much appreciated with this one..!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#535 Post by watchdog »

Update lists of packages in PPM and try to install the following package by PPM:
printer-driver-escpr (1.3.0-1) [universe] printer driver for Epson Inkjet that use ESC/P-R

Mike Walsh

#536 Post by Mike Walsh »

watchdog wrote:Update lists of packages in PPM and try to install the following package by PPM:
printer-driver-escpr (1.3.0-1) [universe] printer driver for Epson Inkjet that use ESC/P-R
Thanks, watchdog. I'll do that again, and see if I can find the package you've mentioned. I'll get back to you & let you know how it goes, although it may not be for a couple of days; I've got to be away until Sunday.

Will reply with results as soon as. Appreciated.

Mike Walsh

#537 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, watchdog.

Back a day early, so I thought I'd give your suggestion a try. Updated all the repos in the PPM, and searched for your recommended package. No soap; doesn't exist.

So how did you find it?

Mike. :(

666philb

#538 Post by 666philb »

HI Mike Walsh,

try just searching for printer-driver-escpr ..it's definitely there, dunno if it'll work though.

BTW bitmeter-os added to quickpet ..... thanks
Attachments
snapshot.jpg
(75.26 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
Last edited by 666philb on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

666philb

#539 Post by 666philb »

OscarTalks wrote:I think the 64bit version of TOR BROWSER BUNDLE runs OK if I do the usual chown to root:root and modify (and rename) the launcher script.

If you have a /mnt/home outside of pupsave the ideal method is to run the portable bundle from there, but if installing as a package I think it is best to place it in /root/my-applications (as I have done here) since it stores user profile data internally.

I think automatic updates will work but we would have to wait for one to arrive in order to test that for sure.
EDIT:- Was just doing a bit more testing and an update to 5.5.4 came through and the auto update worked. I will update these to that number now.

Tested briefly in tahrpup64-6.0.3.9 which is the only 64bit live CD I have to hand.

My Smokey01 space is limited and these are big and they are experimental so I am uploading to Yandex Disk.

https://yadi.sk/d/7AkxbX4NqJUah
added to quickpet ...thanks
so you chown the whole tor folder?

Mike Walsh

#540 Post by Mike Walsh »

Updated repos a second time. Using the 'Search' function yielded no results. So, I looked through each of the categories in the 'Universe' repo.....and found it; under 'Filesystem'??

I'd've thought it would've been under 'Utilities', or something similar..... Anyway, it works (although it's just the basic, generic driver; no available adjustments). Trying to then 'modify' this to the correct driver, which has always worked in the past, once again yields 'Filter failed'. Obviously, installing through the PPM has pulled in necessary dependencies; I do remember installing this same printer in both Lubuntu and Xubuntu, using gDebi, used to pull in shed-loads of deps.....mostly Python stuff.

So, she's working after a fashion, but not the way I'd like her to. Any further ideas, or suggestions?