Can the black font on desktop icons be changed to white?

Using applications, configuring, problems
john biles

Can the black font on desktop icons be changed to white?

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
I've noticed that Puppy's desktop icon font colour is black where other distro's fonts are mainly white which shows up better with a dark desktop background.
Is there a way to change this colour?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

marksouth2000

#2 Post by marksouth2000 »

Open a rox window, right-click and select "options". Go to "pinboard". There you can change the text to any colour you like. My preference is for black outlined text which shows up on light or dark backgrounds.

Cheers,
Mark 8)

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Thanks Mark,
Works fine, but I see what you mean about other colours besides Black.
I think it will be hard to find a colour besides black that works with a mixture of light and dark backgrounds.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

If you want a long life for your monitor and reduce power consumption a tad, then be sure always to use a black background (all pixels/phosphors switched OFF). Similarly, the only screen saver that powers OFF your entire display is BLANK SCREEN.

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

John B, you may have missed the point about OUTLINED text. If you go back to rox options | pinboard then you can check "outlined text". This outlines your black text with a white edge. Such text shows up as readable on any normal kind of background.

Sage, even a blank screen quite often leaves the LCD backlight turned on. For CRTs, even a blank screensaver can sometimes defeat the monitor's own powersaving mode. In that case the only reason to use the screensaver is for security, to lock out cow orkers, children, and cats.

Cheers,
Mark

Sit Heel Speak

#6 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

marksouth2000 wrote:...to lock out cow orkers, children, and cats.
:lol: Ah, the stimulating twinge of blown-out hot-beverage in the sinuses...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Sage, your advice is correct for a CRT. When Puppy blanks my (old, cheapo) LCD, the backlight stays on. I turn it off with its power button if I want to leave the computer on while I'm not there. I have another, newer, LCD screen which shuts off its backlight when it is not used for a while. I presume that's Puppy's doing, but I haven't found how to modify it.

Sit Heel Speak, I hope you didn't get any in the keyboard. :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

marksouth2000

#8 Post by marksouth2000 »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
"Cow orkers" is standard usage in alt.folklore.urban, and already was in the early 1990's. I don't know if that's where it originated, and Snopes is not authoritative on this :)

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

marksouth2000 wrote:
Sit Heel Speak wrote:
"Cow orkers" is standard usage in alt.folklore.urban, and already was in the early 1990's. I don't know if that's where it originated, and Snopes is not authoritative on this :)
But that didn't save me from a fit of impulse... Cow-orkers.com is already taken, and so is cow-orker.com, but I just registered cow-orker.net and cow-orker.org. Either I'll operate a positions posting page for Seattle non-profits, or...use these domains as the online headquarters of Puppy C.O.L.L.A.R., Cow Orkers Liberation League Against Redmond, my propaganda and lobbying arm against that menace in the suburb...Federally protected status against discrimination, hate speech, anchovies, and product activation codes here I come... The plural forms are still available...

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

How odd. I posted an humorous little riposte, mainly to the effect that I had 'another solution for cats :woof, woof.' , but it has been deleted. It appeared briefly after Mark's second offering and before shs's first.
Not the first time some of my gems have gone missing. Maybe I'll have to start charging at my consultancy rates....

Oh yes, I think I said something to the effect that BLANK SCREEN does shut down most (but not all) monitors - clearly it's the cheap, early lcd s that had lots of issues with backlight control. [More leverage by the greedy capitalists to sell more cold cathodes? or just stupidity? - who knows? who cares?].

marksouth2000

#11 Post by marksouth2000 »

Sage, you appear to have insulted my early cheap LCD panel!

I expect that the moderators will be along to lock the thread any second :!:

Mark

PS 8)

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

FYI, the new rox has replaced the "outline" option with "shadow". I prefered "outline". It looked better and was more readable.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Gn2

#13 Post by Gn2 »

Moderators - we have any ??? Naw ..Can't be (Musta bin a post haste refresh (ing) glitch)

All combatants are hereby sequestered - they must then procede
to nearest nuetral corner of a circle -

Creampuffs at 10 paces.

All judgements are final > bribes are accepted.

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

I admire honesty - perhaps more than anything? But so far no-one has put his hand up! We all make mistakes but only HBS advocates not owning up. Our PM is an honorary member; Maggie was, too. GWB and Billyboy are actual former students. They and their reprehensible teachings have generated more lyin', cheatin' b*st*rds than anywhere else in the world.
Here endeth the lesson.
You callin' someone a creampuff, Gn2? In today's world you can go to goal for that...

marksouth2000

#15 Post by marksouth2000 »

Pizzasgood wrote:FYI, the new rox has replaced the "outline" option with "shadow". I prefered "outline". It looked better and was more readable.
Thanks PG, Guess I'm out of date, with 2.12 running so well on this machine I just left the 2.13 CD on the edge of the desk after I burnt it.... So I guess anyone can call me a creampuff if they want :?:

Mark 8)

Gn2

#16 Post by Gn2 »

Code: Select all

"How cheerfully he seems to grin, 
How neatly spreads his claws, 
And welcomes little fishes in 
With gentle smiling jaws!"
GWB - Bush ?
HBS - Harvard Busines School ?
Acronyms - Agrotat, Anomally or Abstruse Assimilation
Use of: -When in Rome RRT
Relate Resident Terminology

Cream Puffs - if the shooo fits -
CalI a spade_a_spade.... not a manually controlled excavator.

IOW> dBaK2aGF

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

Oh how well read your are, sir. But your extensive quotations from Wonderland and rumours about the Rev.'s disposition toward young children, etc. brings into sharper focus than a Looking Glass might render? Spades? - hopefully you refer to garden implements and playing cards - great sensitivity is required these days!
Otherwise, you correctly interpret my acrimoniousnyms.
Mark: too many issues with 2.12. - ditch it in favour of 2.13 ASAP. PM sent also!

marksouth2000

#18 Post by marksouth2000 »

Sage, Gn2, laydeezengennulmin:

I tried putting cream puffs in my shoes. It does improve the fit but results in a slight squelching noise when walking.

2.13 may be a huge improvement, but 2.12 has performed flawlessly for me so far, no instability and runs smooth, everything is setup for just a few clicks. This is what I have been seeking with thimbles and care and forks and hope, what charms me like smiles and soap.

I still weep to see such quantity of icons on the desktop, and often say "if only these were cleared away it would be grand."

Dumtweedledee, Mark 8)

Gn2

#19 Post by Gn2 »

Tweedle twins Gnu rules of engagement:
A spade preempts unless no (D) Trump is :wink: declaration.

Cream Puffs in shoes - may lighten your daily journies -
OTOH - I believe ... that will not improve other flavours.

Code: Select all

They wept like anything to see
  Such quantities of sand:
'If this were only cleared away,'
  They said, 'it would be grand.'

'If seven maids with seven mops
  Swept it for half a year,
Do you suppose,' the Walrus said,
  'That they could get it clear?'
'I doubt it,' said the Carpenter,
  And shed a bitter tear.
One of first tasks in any new desktop - create a folder:
Store icons - all desktops should be free of clutter - virtually or as in puffs - outre wise.

Anyone figure out :P dBaK2aGF yet ?

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

When do we get to the bit about Alice's magic mushrooms that mcgargle has been eating, G ?!
PS. Sorry guys, I like my desktop filled with icons so I know where everything is and how to start them.