ACER Cloudbook seems to work fine with Quirky 8

Booting, installing, newbie
Robin2

ACER Cloudbook seems to work fine with Quirky 8

#1 Post by Robin2 »

I started a couple of Threads with problems I had trying to get my new ACER Cloudbook to work with Tahrpup.

The first problem was that it would not boot from the Solid State Drive, only from a USB stick

The second problem was some difficulty with X which cause it to freeze if I selected Exit to Prompt and (presumably the same problem) if I double-clicked VLC to watch a video full screen.

First impressions are that all of these work perfectly with Quirky 8.

This may help someone else.

...R
gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Robin2. Nice to hear you are finding PUP solutions to your Cloudbook.

Would you mention if you are running Q8 from your SSD/USB?
mpanek60

My Cloudbook

#3 Post by mpanek60 »

My cloudbook bios is very finicky in booting some distributions.

The quirky xerus on an f2fs stick runs perfect. (2) Win32 diskimager was used to "write it to a boot stick".

Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit boots and runs great, is f2fs aware,

Mint 32 bit runs very good on the cloudbook, but lacks f2fs awarness.

Debiandog boots and runs but only in legacy mode. Its Grub4dos installer deletes GPT Partitiion Tables apparently.

Note that on my cloudbook, Windows 10 was erased and not reinstalled.
Robin2

#4 Post by Robin2 »

I am running Quirky from the SSD. I have wiped Windows10 and all the UEFI stuff from the SSD.

It may not have been necessary to remove Windows for Quirky but I was trying to get Tahrpup to work so I could just copy my save file from this PC.

It's actually a PITA having to upgrade to Quirky.

...R
mpanek60

Quirky Quirks on the Cloudbook Stick

#5 Post by mpanek60 »

(1) quriky runs and boots fast and well on its stick now. (2) I'm now running Quirky on USB ext4 partition with journaling off of course. (3) Ubuntu partition on MMC was abruptly overwritten during Quirky 8 installation.

Mint 7.3 32 bit runs very well on the acer cloudbook, including suspend. Its Grub booter was not UEFI compatible but was fixed by Grub Repair Disk, and/or the Ubuntu 16.04 installs.

Debian Dog runs well on the Acer Cloudbook, but only in legacy mode.
Robin2

#6 Post by Robin2 »

@mpanek60, I'm not sure I understand your (2) and (3)

Does your (2) mean that you have the USB stick formatted as Ext4?

Does your (3) mean that Quirky over-wrote the Ubuntu partition against your wishes?

...R
mpanek60

acer cloudbook

#7 Post by mpanek60 »

@mpanek60, I'm not sure I understand your (2) and (3)

Does your (2) mean that you have the USB stick formatted as Ext4?

Does your (3) mean that Quirky over-wrote the Ubuntu partition against your wishes?

...R [

(2) yes, done by Quirky's "install to drive"

(3) yes, Using Quirky's "install to partition"

ps: if a GPT drive gets deleted, it may be recoverable with Gdisk etc.

Regards, Mitch
Pelo

To run all puppy applications in the Cloud

#8 Post by Pelo »

Cloudbook ? would it be possible to run all puppy applications in the Cloud ? Like Google Drive ? You will then run Puppy from Windows ( Some kicks in the ass will be my future :) )
It's already made available (By Amazon).
Robin2

Re: To run all puppy applications in the Cloud

#9 Post by Robin2 »

Pelo wrote:Cloudbook ? would it be possible to run all puppy applications in the Cloud
Even if it were possible I will not be doing it.

I like to have all my data on the table right beside me where only I can see it. Who knows whether some criminal enterprise "owns" the cloud.

...R
Pelo

and if fire burns your papers at home ?

#10 Post by Pelo »

:) and if fire burns your papers at home ? bad joke, sorry. What is an acer Cloudbook ? Model please. I am interested because my laptop will die, and Acer is a good trade mark.
gcmartin

#11 Post by gcmartin »

Data
I have worked with couple Chromebox's and have found them fast and reliable. Much of what I do now is in the cloud, no matter if I create it locally or on the cloud's services. Further, data can exist encrypted in the cloud.

This is a user choice for where you want your data to exist. And, hopefully, most knowledgible users are aware of maintaining their data separate and apart from their OS(s). Today, we have choices that was not attainable in our past.

One option I have used, also, is running a local remote-desktop client where all OS services comes from a cloud/remote system. In this case there is no need to even maintain a local OS system; excepting something that provides a remote-desktop client.

Boxes/Books
Over the past year, I have tested implementations with several "tiny" box solutions. And, I am impressed to the point that I expect to reduce my energy demand tremendously over the next year for home "compute" needs by donating all of my 32bit PCs left and becoming an exclusive user of tiny solutions. I think energy will offset in the winter as the "hot" boxes will be gone because of hot box removals, but will help in summer with a cooler house.

Final
The Cloudbook is not a Chromebook. These are different OSes.

Edited: Clarify remote-desktop with adding to last sentence and better explaining energy savings.
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 18 May 2016, 06:15, edited 2 times in total.
Pelo

Puppy on the Cloud..

#12 Post by Pelo »

wel well gcmartin, well noticed... so we shall forget Puppy on the Cloud..
Virtual machine Amazone (non free)
Robin2

Re: and if fire burns your papers at home ?

#13 Post by Robin2 »

Pelo wrote:What is an acer Cloudbook ? Model please.
Google knows. Mine has a 14"screen so I think that is why it is called a Cloudbook 14. There is also a number A01-431-C2Q8

...R
Crash

#14 Post by Crash »

I'm curious, does the SSD still show up as "mmcblk0p1" or does it have a more standard name like sda1? Not that a name matters.
Robin2

#15 Post by Robin2 »

Crash wrote:I'm curious, does the SSD still show up as "mmcblk0p1" or does it have a more standard name like sda1? Not that a name matters.
Still shows as /mnt/mmcblk0pX

...R