Install devx

Booting, installing, newbie
Jaso

Install devx

#1 Post by Jaso »

I downloaded devx_tahr_6.0.5.sfs then checked the md5sum. Then I clicked on it. A yellow box pop-up with the option to install. I clicked install. A following dialog said PUPMODE=2 experimental do you want to continue? Like a fool I said yes, oh btw it also said it would be irreversible on a full install which is what I have. After it installed I got this message-----.png
I looked in that file it suggested, for skipped files------.png

The list is long my friends, what did I do wrong? Maybe someone can help. Until then I'll just keep googlezing. oh, specs. 2GB ram, 75GB HDD, intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.04Hz on tahrpup - 6.0.5 noPAE 32bit

Thanks for any help, I will stay on and try be responsive immediately.
[/img]
Attachments
capture23211.png
(18.1 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

Jaso

2nd png

#2 Post by Jaso »

skipped files
Attachments
capture25084.png
(170.92 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

What you did wrong was to try and make an SFS attach to a full install.

What do you want to do, that you need the ability to compile?

Jaso

#4 Post by Jaso »

I just wanted to learn how to make .pet files. Just learn in general.

Jaso

#5 Post by Jaso »

starhawk wrote:What you did wrong was to try and make an SFS attach to a full install.

What do you want to do, that you need the ability to compile?
Should I just copy it to the mnt/home/ and then reboot? Is that how you install an sfs file.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Do not expect SFS files to work with a full install, basically period. You'll have an easier time of it if you try to divide something by zero ;) :P

...having said that...

A *.pet is a tarball (*.tar.gz archive) with an MD5sum appended to it using something like cat. No need for any compilation anything.

Puppy has a command line utility, dir2pet, which takes a directory as input (eg /root/my-documents/mynewprogram) and produces a *.pet package from it (eg /root/my-documents/mynewprogram.pet). No need for coding skills of any kind. Invoking dir2pet by itself pulls up handy directions.

Alternatively --
If you want to make a *.pet of something you've already installed.
Or if you want to poke around at advanced things. (Warning: may shoot the cat. Be careful.)

Also -- get yourself a frugal install. It will make your life easier in many, many ways (installing SFS files will actually, you know, work, for one...). I can spit all sorts of technical goodies at you but the basic lineup is -- life's just better on frugals and you should trust me. The last time I did a full install, it blew up in my face in under a week. (To be fair, that's been a while, though.)

EDIT: if you're absolutely hell-bent on making that devx work on a full install (god save you), here are the instructions. Won't help you make *.pet packages though...

I can tell you that the linked procedure works (if you follow it to the letter) on TahrPup 6.0.2... I cannot personally vouch on any other setup.

Jaso

#7 Post by Jaso »

Thanks starhawk! I'll take your word for it. I think this install has had it and it is my second one.
One more thing :lol: do you have any good bookmarks for general knowledge on puppy. Like a book, something that has alot of info in one place . I'm doing wellminded searches, learning slowly.
Thanks again!!!!!!

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

I'm afraid Puppy documentation is a little, er, "challenged" -- which is to say, there's not much and most of it's outdated.

A little experience goes a long, long way ;)

Protip: some Puppies can be a wee bit unstable (we know). Keep your important files on another partition or drive...

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Good info here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

Most of it is still usable. Documentation in Puppy is dependent on somebody taking the time to write it and post it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)