ntfs external usb hdd mount problem

Using applications, configuring, problems
Kick

ntfs external usb hdd mount problem

#1 Post by Kick »

Hi,
I am running Puppy Precise 5.7.1 as a frugal installation in a dual boot setup with internet disabled Windows XP Pro SP3.on an elderly desktop computer.

Just recently, when I connect a particular external usb hard drive, I get the following error:
"The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
fuse: mountpoint is not empty
fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only."

I am familiar with this message as it has happened before when I was able to rectify the problem by removing a file left in the drive location by pburn after burning a dvd. This time the location is empty so there are no files, as far as I can see, that may be causing the problem when I try to mount the drive.

I've checked the drive in Windows using Chkdsk and found the drive to be sound. A live Puppy OB-Precise 14.07.26 CD finds no problems either and happily mounts the drive. A usb memory stick mounts correctly in the same usb port using the same location label of sdf1.

While this is not a major issue for me, it would be good if the mystery could be explained and perhaps resolved so I would be grateful for any comments and advice.

Thank you.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Let's assume that the external USB drive is sdb1.

With the drive UNmounted, run ROX and go to /mnt/sdb1.

Are there any files there, including hidden files?

Kick

#3 Post by Kick »

UPDATE:

Hi rcrsn51,
Thanks for your quick reply and your suggestion. However I had already tried what you have suggested as I had come across the problem once before. That time the error was indeed caused by a file left in the allocated drive and removing resolved the issue. This time there ere are no files (visible or hidden) in sdf1 (the drive in question) so there is nothing to remove.

Further tests have shown that if I force the usb hdd to use a different location, e.g. sdg1, by inserting a memory stick first so that sdf1 is already allocated before plugging in the hdd into another port then the usb hdd is allocated to sdg1.. In that situation there is no problem with either the usb memory stick or the usb hdd. For me the mystery grows but perhaps this additional information may give you a clue.

Cheers.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

That would suggest that the device node itself /dev/sdf1 is corrupt. You can restore it by opening /initrd/pup_ro?/dev, locating the original device node and dragging it into /dev.

Or maybe just delete the one in /dev and let it recreate itself.

Kick

#5 Post by Kick »

Hi rcrsn51,
Thanks for your continued support.

I tried your suggestions but they didn't work however they may have provided another clue to the problem. I have noticed that both sdf and sdf1 disappear from /dev once the external usb drive is connected. I put them back by first unmounting and removing the hdd and then copying the files from /initrd/pup_ro2/dev. The usb memory stick, when allocated sdf1, works perfectly and both sdf and sdf1 remain safe in /dev but when the usb hdd is allocated sdf1, then both sdf and sdf1 are removed from /dev.

Cheers.

Kick

#6 Post by Kick »

UPDATE:
Hi rcrsn51,

I don't know if this is significant but I have carried out another experiment. I have an external SATA drive linked to the same computer via an ESATA rear port. It is also formatted NTFS and previously has worked with Puppy Precise. I decided to try it again today and it failed to mount without the ntfs error message when allocated to sdf1. As with the external usb hdd, when sdf1 had already been allocated to a fat32 usb memory stick, the drive was allocated sdg1 and worked perfectly.

There seems to be a problem with sdf1 and ntfs formatting that is not replicated in other drive allocations. I had thought about reformatting the usb hdd to fat32 but, although that might hide the problem, it would not be practical for me to do the same to the ESATA drive. At least I have a work round by inserting a FAT32 memory stick before one of the NTFS drives but that does not resolve the real issue.

Cheers.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

At this point, I would do a temporary clean install of Puppy and see if you can replicate the situation . This would determine if the problem is due to some corruption in your Puppy setup or in the drive itself.

Boot off a Puppy CD and use the "puppy pfix=ram" boot option.

Kick

#8 Post by Kick »

Hi rcrsn51,
I didn't do an actual clean install but did the following:
- I booted the computer using my live Puppy OB-Precise CD;
- I navigated to the Puppy Precise save file in the Puppy Precise partition and added 'XX' to its extension so the file would not be recognized at the next Puppy Precise boot;
- I removed the Puppy OB-Precise CD and rebooted the computer choosing Puppy Precise rather than Windows XP from the boot options.
Puppy Precise booted and showed the first time settings window. I set the time, keyboard, internet connection and firewall and restarted X. Next I tested the usb hdd which was allocated sdf1 - it worked normally so I guess there is corruption somewhere in the original save file.

Now I would seem to have the choice of working with the new save file and undertaking the many software and visual appearance changes etc. necessary to get the system back to how I had it before (but without the sdf1 problem of course). Hopefully, now it is established the corruption is in the original save file, there may be a way I can undertake a repair without losing the many changes I have made over the last couple of years that I have been using this dual boot setup.

If you have any further suggestions, I would be grateful and thanks for your efforts so far.

Cheers.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

This may not correct your problem or find anything wrong. but can try it.

To test for and repair errors in Linux file system, use "e2fsck".
Reboot Puppy, using boot option " puppy pfix=ram"
(You must boot not using the puppy save)
The save file can not be in use.
Mount the partition the save is on.

Open a terminal, and enter:

e2fsck /path to savefile

For example:
e2fsck /mnt/sda1/pupsave.2fs
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Kick

#10 Post by Kick »

Hi Bigpup,
I don't fully understand what you are saying. I don't know how to use the boot option " puppy pfix=ram". I've tried going into the 'Advanced' section of the boot options but cannot see any way to find or enter " puppy pfix=ram". Please excuse my ignorance, I'm not a very advanced Linux user so I may need more detailed guidance.

Thanks and cheers.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

You could boot from the live Puppy OB-Precise CD.
From what you stated, it does not use the Precise save on the hard drive.

But, if it does try to use the save from the hard drive.
The live Puppy OB-Precise CD should give you boot options by hitting F2 at beginning, when it shows the Puppy boot screen.
Usually there is a 5 sec. delay to give you time to hit F2.
That should give you a boot option screen.
puppy pfix=ram can be entered as boot option.

You can run the e2fsck from the live CD.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

I've tried going into the 'Advanced' section of the boot options but cannot see any way to find or enter " puppy pfix=ram"
Usually the "Advanced section" has a entry, similar to this, that will boot not using the save file.
Example:
Entry to boot Tahr 6.0.5

Code: Select all

title Puppy tahr 6.0.5 (sda5/tahr605_PAE) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
YaPI(any iso installer)

Kick

#13 Post by Kick »

Hi Bigpup,
Thanks for your detailed explanation re; running e2fsck. I booted the system from the OB-Precise CD pressing F2. Once I realised I needed to download the e2fsck package I was able to run the command successfully. Unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue but you suspected that might be the outcome. The problem save file was declared 'clean'.

This has not been a waste of time though as it has provided me with a useful learning experience (I'm not too old to learn at 75) and knowing about e2fsck is worthwhile (like using chkdsk in Windows).

I'm not too worried about the usb hdd problem although it would be good to pinpoint what is causing the problem. I have created a new savefile and spent the weekend setting it up (you helped me with a minor problem I was having re: adjusting the drive icon position on the desktop - you responded to my query posted in another thread). In many ways the new save file is an improvement as I have learnt a bit since setting up the original two years ago. I'll keep both save files, at least for a while, in case a solution is found for the usb hdd problem (at the moment space on the Puppy partition is not at a premium).

Thanks again, yours and rcrsn51's input has been much appreciated.

Cheers.