LazY Puppy Version 5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
augras

#21 Post by augras »

I have kept an old install of 6.0.2 : just open the iso and run the script to install on sdb1.
But it doesn't work !
See the screenshots.
Philippe
Attachments
capture3617.png
(26.7 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
capture2656.png
(14.68 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
capture632.png
(60.59 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

LazY Puppy

#22 Post by LazY Puppy »

If you just open/mount the .iso and trying to install from that location, there is a big chance installation will fail.

Open/mount an .iso file will return a weird path like e.g.: /mnt/+mnt+sde3+Linux-Images+Tahr-602CE+tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso/.

The installer script wasn't checked to work from such a path.

Just open/mount the .iso file and copy its content to the installation directory of the your kept tahr 6.0.2 installation (make backup first, if needed - or just rename initrd-orig.gz to initrd.gz to get back to original after installation is done) and boot this kept tahr 6.0.2 installation. I think it needs the modified initrd.gz to be booted (notice the initrd.gz files inside the .iso file).

I have tested the installer script two ways only:

1. booting and installing from .iso burnt to cd
2. booting and installing from tahr 6.0.2 installation (usb hd)

Both of them were successful - several times (though, both of them are booted by the modified initrd.gz).

I may have some misleading / misunderstanding information in opening post :roll: (will update after you had success)...

Don't use a save file when booting the kept tahr installation, boot RAM only (PUPMODE=5) !!!

Thanks.

Edit:

Switch to FR interface after booting to install LazY Puppy 5 to FR interface by default !!!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

augras

#23 Post by augras »

Hi, EUREKA ! it works !
So i can see all your menus and icons and make a better translation.
You have made a real great work and i think it's the better way for a puppy.
But there are some problems.
How do you keep the parameters for a software ? For example i try pdfsam, get it in french... but after a restart it is again in german. I can't imagine that you don't have a solution for that.
I think i will have a lot of questions : there are a lot of new things.
Philippe

LazY Puppy

#24 Post by LazY Puppy »

Thanks for the feedback, augras / Philippe!
augras wrote:Hi, EUREKA ! it works !
So i can see all your menus and icons and make a better translation.
You have made a real great work and i think it's the better way for a puppy.
But there are some problems.
How do you keep the parameters for a software ? For example i try pdfsam, get it in french... but after a restart it is again in german. I can't imagine that you don't have a solution for that.
I think i will have a lot of questions : there are a lot of new things.
Philippe
Good to know that it works - makes me really happy! :D

So now I can show/explain how to configure things and how to make settings persistent. You may not believe, though: (almost?) everything (as far as I could test!) can be made persistent!

The main thing for everything needed to be persistent and not being covered by the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. system sfs modules (you know, the additional xxx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs modules) is the Configuration SFS Module - or just config sfs.

After changing pdfsam to french language there is directory:
- /root/.pdfsam
which contains:
- gui-config.xml
- pdfsam-config.xml

So, you have two options to keep these settings persistent. First one is the config sfs module which I will explain next - but first let me explain how to do this by a config file (you know, those ones in ConfigData).

Persistent settings for pdfsam by config files:

These config files containing two mean entries (near to the end of the file):

- MYSYMLINKSINLIST
- MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST

Open directory My-Files at the boot partition of the usb flash drive.
Make a directory pdfsam and make a copy of gui-config.xml
and pdfsam-config.xml into that directory e.g. /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/pdfsam.

Open the preferred config file to edit.

Now change MYSYMLINKSINLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSINLIST="/root/.pdfsam"
Now change MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="My-Files/pdfsam"

Note: I think there are already directories added for the use of the Trash and the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. ClipBoard (for files and dirs only). If so, just add to that list.

That way you can just symlink automatically everything you want to a directory of the usb flash drive, use commas ( , ) to separate files and/or directories - which could be even different by different config files (e.g. for different languages in use etc.pp).

Notice the missing leading slash ( / ) at MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST when symlink goes to a location at boot partition of the usb flash drive !!!

You can also use e.g. MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="/mnt/sda1/My-Files/pdfsam" to symlink to completely different location - though the target directory / file needs to be already existing !!!

Save the config file back and use it at next boot.

Persistent settings for pdfsam by config sfs:

The LogOut-GUI includes new buttons Save and Reboot plus Save and Poweroff (or similar to that, I'm in DE interface). Just click one of those buttons and a GUI appears to create easily a Configuration SFS Module (or config sfs).

At next boot pdfsam should be persistent (let me know/see the results).

In menu Wizard Box --> SFS P.L.U.S. is two menu entries to create a config sfs and to just to save current settings to the current config sfs in use (Note: I had changed this lately, so probably this is to be found in menu T.O.P.L.E.S.S.).

Regarding pdfsam sfs being a java program that needs java installed:

Assuming you did start pdfsam from its menu entry, so am I right to say, it has downloaded the LP2_PDFSaM-2.2.1.sfs as well as the LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs and stored both of them into directory Modules at boot partition?

Did it start immediately or did you get message about wrong md5sum and needed to start pdfsam again from its menu entry?

Please, let me know !!! :)

Another mean thing how this pdfsam is getting to be able to start and run immediately even though, it is a java program and therefor it needs java installed - which isn't installed by default . Neither in tahr 6.0.2 nor in the resulting LazY Puppy 5 (which doesn't change the puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs permanetly!).

If you have already loaded the pdfsam sfs go to /initrd and browse to its pup_roX directory (X is just a number). Make Rox showing hidden files and you will notice a hidden directory /.LazYPuppySFSData which contains some directories and files. Them mean one here ist directory SFSDependencies which contains several files like: LP2_PDFSaM-2.2.1.sfs.tahr.6.0.2.dependencies.

Open this file in a text editor and you will find an entry: LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs.

If this LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs is found in directory Modules at the boot partition of the usb flash drive, it will load automatically after the pdfsam sfs is loaded.

Best of all: you can define such dependent sfs modules to each sfs module you want just by right-click option. :D

Worst of all: you need to do this for each sfs module and for each LazY Puppy 5 separately. :cry:

Regarding your translations:

I have used them to build the full files (as you did just get necessary snippets) and included them into my local langpack.sfs (which is used to build the one for tahr). If you are interested I could repackage them for you the include in your langpack_tahr_6.0.2.sfs.

Thanks for keep trying T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 and testings! 8)
I think i will have a lot of questions
Just let them roll into here... :lol:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#25 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.
Me one, LazY Puppy, RSH wrote:Persistent settings for pdfsam by config files:

These config files containing two mean entries (near to the end of the file):

- MYSYMLINKSINLIST
- MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST

Open directory My-Files at the boot partition of the usb flash drive.
Make a directory pdfsam and make a copy of gui-config.xml
and pdfsam-config.xml into that directory e.g. /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/pdfsam.

Open the preferred config file to edit.

Now change MYSYMLINKSINLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSINLIST="/root/.pdfsam"
Now change MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="My-Files/pdfsam"
This task -of course- needs to be much improved to make it somehow more easy to use for a user.
So I thought about a solution to achieve such without the need to:

- create directories manually
- copy/move some files around
- editing a config file in text editor

A few minutes ago I'd finished a Rox right-click action where one can submit a directory to a small GUI presenting the right-clicked directory in one entry and in another entry presenting a pre-built path to make a symbolic link into directory My-Files at boot partition.

Example:

- submitted dir: /root/.pdfsam
- pre-built path: My-Files/.pdfsam

So it creates directory e.g. /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/.pdfsam and content of /root/.pdfsam is copied into /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/.pdfsam.
It removes directory /root/.pdfsam.
A symbolic link /root/.pdfsam will be created, pointing to directory /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/.pdfsam.

Just by two mouse clicks (right-click and GUI).

ToDo:

- making the GUI remain active
- make it usable for right-clicked files
- analyzing directory /root (from /initrd/pup_rw/root)
- presenting a combobox list for the results of this analysis
- function to create comfortably symbolic links from selection of this combobox list

The Configuration File in use is updated automatically.
RSH

Pelo

shut down, (kernel panic !!!).

#26 Post by Pelo »

TOPLESS installed, Some problems at shut down, (kernel panic !!!).
I will precise later, i translate first topic, perhaps answers are yet provided.

LazY Puppy

Re: shut down, (kernel panic !!!).

#27 Post by LazY Puppy »

Pelo wrote:TOPLESS installed, Some problems at shut down, (kernel panic !!!).
I will precise later, i translate first topic, perhaps answers are yet provided.
Are you sure replying to LazY Puppy 5 (this topic) or did you meant to reply to the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. ?
RSH

augras

#28 Post by augras »

Hi Rainer,
Thanks a lot for your answers.
I first try with a config sfs... but it doesn't work ! A config sfs file is created but seems to not be load automatically and when i load it by hand my pdfsam is still in german !
I will now try with the config files.

When i clic to use pdfsam the first time i get the message with wrong md5sum. I have two directories name module : Module and Modules ; the sfs, pdfsam and jre are in Module directory, not in Modules.

I would like to get the new langpack.sfs to work to a better translation : now i can see what i have translated and try to make it better.

I'm sure your new work with only right clic will be very useful for the users.
I can help you only for translation and tests.
There are a lot of things to translate and if i can i will help you to do that. Your work is really the good way for a puppy : no save file/folder, each software by sfs but personal parameters are register. It's not yet useful for everybody and french translation will be necessary for french people. A more simple way to keep the parameters, like the right clic you describe, is the next step.
I'm going to test to save my parameters with config file.
Philippe

LazY Puppy

#29 Post by LazY Puppy »

augras wrote:I first try with a config sfs... but it doesn't work ! A config sfs file is created but seems to not be load automatically and when i load it by hand my pdfsam is still in german !
Can I see a screenshot of installation directory / boot directory (where the config_tahr_6.0.2-xxx.sfs is stored)?
Can you upload the config_tahr_6.0.2-xxx.sfs (probably at datafilehost.com) so that I can download and analyze?
Please show me the content of the boot menu entry that you've been using when booting after creating the config sfs.

If this used boot menu entry (in menu.lst or menu-tahr_6.0.2.lst) contains lpconfigsfs=no it will not load a configuration sfs.
If this used boot menu entry (in menu.lst or menu-tahr_6.0.2.lst) contains pconfig=no it will not load a configuration file.
I have two directories name module : Module and Modules ; the sfs, pdfsam and jre are in Module directory, not in Modules.
That's somehow strange as directory Modules should be renamed to Module only when installing LazY Puppy 5 under DE interface.

Do you have also directory Dateien and directory My-Files?

Edit: Ok, I think I see the problem. Directory Module seems to be created when downloading the pdfsam and jre .sfs files as I created the RunScripts in DE interface and I do have directory Module in DE.

Copy anything from directory Module into directory Modules. Remove directory Module and make it a symbolic link to directory Modules. This should work so far - until I found a solution for this.
RSH

augras

#30 Post by augras »

The link to the sfs :http://augras.eu/bozon/index.php?f=1576eaff9c56a9
The screenshot is in attachment.
The menu lst lines :

Code: Select all

title LazY Puppy 5 - tahr 6.0.2 (RAM, Config File: Landscape) \n T.O.P.L.E.S.S., Config File Landscape \n Default System, no SFS Modules loaded. \n Wallpaper: Landscape California
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /tahr_6.0.2/initrd.gz
  kernel /tahr_6.0.2/vmlinuz pmessages=splash pconfig=Landscape lpusersfs=yes psubdir=tahr_6.0.2 pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram
  initrd /tahr_6.0.2/initrd.gz
If lpusersfs=yes is on no it changes anything.
I just have the directory My Files.
I have made a symlink name Module to Modules after copy the files.
Philippe
Attachments
capture23014.png
(98.04 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

LazY Puppy

#31 Post by LazY Puppy »

Thanks, Phillippe!

Boot parameter lpusersfs doesn't have any effect a.t.m as long as there is no user sfs existing.

Have you checked if directory /initrd/config_tahr_6.0.2-test.sfs is existing?

If it's not existing when booting with the config sfs --->

Could you please make a copy of the config sfs at same location and doing a reboot?

There should be an option to choose which config sfs to load at boot up.

I've only tested this by having at least two config sfs existing, so that I could choose also to boot without the use of a config sfs.

It should load automatically the one existing when there's just one config sfs existing. Though we need to know if it will load correctly when choosing from the boot prompt - as it does in my setup.

<-- end If not

The screenshot shows a size of 4096 bytes/octets for the config sfs. This should be only when creating an empty config sfs.

Did you enable this option?

If not, just enable it and disable it again when creating a new config sfs next time to see the results.

Thanks.

Now downloading the config sfs.

Edit:

Yes, the config sfs is completely empty, except directory: /.LazYPuppySFSData and its sub dires and files.

Of course, you did use pdfsam and setup to FR language before creating the config sfs, no ?
RSH

LazY Puppy

#32 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Thinking about how to make it even more easy for a -probably scripting- user of LazY Puppy 5 to have access to external files (by scripts) etc.pp., which are usually stored somewhere at /mnt/home, I wondered about what might happen if I would built in a symbolic link /mnt/home (which wouldn't exist ever in LazY Puppy 5) pointing to its current active boot partition (e.g.: /mnt/sde1).

So I made a posting to catch up some information - if any available. I got what I was looking for and built this into my version of LazY Puppy 5 - now active and running for several hours.

Since the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. System SFS Modules are loaded to a top layer by a different script (different to sfs_laod by shinobar) the boot partition is unable to be unmounted - just like it is when a save file / storage file is used.

So it came to mind that the usual /mnt/home drive / partition is marked up by the drive icon with the red close button. Found it being a good idea to get this also solved for the default pfix=ram mode of LazY Puppy 5.

I dipped a little into my scripts and found a proper solution to have the current boot partition marked up by this red close button drive icon.

If the new /mnt/home code/link remains stable and doesn't cause any trouble at all, I will include this into the next versions of LazY Puppy 5 and T.O.P.L.E.S.S..
Attachments
pupmode-5-mnt-home-red-marked-icon.jpg
Remains red marked after restarting X as well.
(61.57 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
RSH

oui

install on HD, actualize old things, integrate more software

#33 Post by oui »

Hi

I never use USB sticks for different reason. The major one is that my cat lives on my desk :roll: and can break them and part of the laptop if it sit on it :wink: . it is absurd to risk that if I have, and I have it really, a big hard disk only half full. I have no stick at home (the old one I did have were to small; I did give them to people having old hardware more in the range of the old stick with max. 2 GB as I use them never more...).

the installation of Puppy Tahr 6.0.2 with TOPLESS on stick is really easy, I know, The ISO offers adequate and really simply facility. But it offers no adequate and simply facility to install on hard disk :twisted: (poor systems willing to impose the use of sticks... it is nonsens!)

last day, someone did give me a 8 GB stick with a large file for me, and I did do that what I was interesting to do already weeks ago: Test TOPLESS in that version (as I continue to use daily the Unicorn with the external package from LazY Puppy and find it is really a very good OS. But I did simplify divers thinks as it is not a test to be made in the correct adequate way, it is my installation in the kind I wish...: I did install all that not operate well or is not available on the depot of LazY Puppy from Ubuntu depot and remaster. So no problem with adapt this or adapt that before the menu is complete etc. :lol: . But it is not really modular any more: I can start the big ISO after remaster only because I have a big RAM...)

In Puppy Tahr 6,0.2 as redistributed by LazY Puppy., it is not old, but already now are divers links not any more operable (especially but not only Wine, so flashplugin and more...). I suppose there are 2 solutions if I will continue to use it as concepted:

a/ i change the link in the HTML page to make it active (link to an other depot beeing really active)

or

b/ the maintener of the depot help all actual and future users of that distribution and reactivate the package :roll: !

Next problem is that I miss adequate LP2-....sfs for divers software beeing existing in old LazY's what I need:

- a saver for youtube
- libre office
- xombrero (OR EACH OTHER FULL OPERABLE BROWSER NOT NEEDING PERMANENTLY ACTUALISATION! use Mozilla's is becoming nonsens in an ISO as you have to remaster to frequently... But Xombrero has great advantage: It is secure. I am not Angela Merkel: Security is important for me... :oops: )
- gramps
- merkaartor

I also would try to create myself the LP4-....sfs what the system is awaiting but miss the documentation page

file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-installapps2.htm

being link in file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-index.htm

This distribution seems to be really top! Thank you LazY Puppy.

Kind regards

LazY Puppy

#34 Post by LazY Puppy »

oui wrote:I never use USB sticks for different reason. The major one is that my cat lives on my desk :roll: and can break them and part of the laptop if it sit on it :wink: . it is absurd to risk that if I have, and I have it really, a big hard disk only half full. I have no stick at home (the old one I did have were to small; I did give them to people having old hardware more in the range of the old stick with max. 2 GB as I use them never more...).

the installation of Puppy Tahr 6.0.2 with TOPLESS on stick is really easy, I know, The ISO offers adequate and really simply facility. But it offers no adequate and simply facility to install on hard disk :twisted: (poor systems willing to impose the use of sticks... it is nonsens!)
The need to use a USB flash drive (USB Stick) is only on installation purposes. After you had installed succesfully to USB flash drive, you can move the directories and files from the USB flash drive to the your boot partition (must be ext file system (ext2 recommended by experience)).

After this just copy the contents/entries of the grub4dos menu.lst into the menu.lst at the your boot partition.

Now you should be able to boot this LazY Puppy 5 from your HD's boot partition.

If you are using grub (or any else boot loader) instead of grub4dos, you'll need to modify the entries imported from the grub4dos menu.lst - of course.

I know that's not quite comfortable, though it makes sure, that nothing will be overwritten at the your boot partition during installation of LazY Puppy 5. Since I'm not a programmer, but I'm a hacker, who is doing faults from time to time, it has turned out being the best way to me, providing a secure installer script. :D :wink:
In Puppy Tahr 6,0.2 as redistributed by LazY Puppy., it is not old, but already now are divers links not any more operable (especially but not only Wine, so flashplugin and more...).I suppose there are 2 solutions if I will continue to use it as concepted:
There is a 3rd solution to get rid of those not longer working menu entries like for "Get Flash Player" and "Get Libre Office" (I assume those are the ones you meant?) - without to remaster(!!!).

If you want to know how, let me know, and I'll tell you how.

Next problem is that I miss adequate LP2-....sfs for divers software beeing existing in old LazY's what I need:

- a saver for youtube
- libre office
- xombrero (OR EACH OTHER FULL OPERABLE BROWSER NOT NEEDING PERMANENTLY ACTUALISATION! use Mozilla's is becoming nonsens in an ISO as you have to remaster to frequently... But Xombrero has great advantage: It is secure. I am not Angela Merkel: Security is important for me... Embarassed )
- gramps
- merkaartor
Since I'm nothing similar to a "thoughts reader" and this forum doesn't offer services like "thoughts transfer", I'm not able to know what kind of programs is lacking for any user. I even don't know, if there is any LazY Puppy 5 user who's missing anything. :wink:

However, if there is some programs missing, it would be fine to offer a link, so that I can try to download, to make it a LPx_ .sfs and to upload either to my repository at smokey01.com/RSH/ of to archive.org.

All I need and all I do request is the information plus a link if possible. If I can't make s LPx_ .sfs from that requested software, I would try to give another solution - if possible (like e.g. for the youtube downloader, as there are several browser supported plugins already available).
I also would try to create myself the LP4-....sfs what the system is awaiting but miss the documentation page

file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-installapps2.htm

being link in file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-index.htm
Yes, that documentation issue. This is somehow equal to what I said about the install script. I'm not a documentation writer, but I'm a hacker. Hacking code into the keyboard until it works is fun. Extremely FUN.

Writing documentations is boring (would need a true user to do so - supported by myself of course)!

I'm sorry for that, though it's just based in my personal nature, I'm a creative guy, having much fun and very much satisfaction to improvise over and over again AND to do new stuff, that's never done before - hopefully (or at least that's not been done a thousand/million times before).

Of course, if you would tell me what package you want to turn int a LPx_ .sfs I could give a short description how to do. It's really simple and easy, as almost all needed functions are done by right-clicking the package. I would just need the basic package downloaded (best case scenario)
This distribution seems to be really top! Thank you LazY Puppy.

Kind regards
Thank you very much, oui! :D

Edit:

The LP5_Firefox-45.0.1-2.sfs which is listed at the programs list in the opening post, has already included a plugin to download from youtube and store locally. In this here forum all links to youtube will have a additional download button added, so no need to go to youtube (just check this out in the Off-Topic section, e.g.: at Does anyone else feel like this about music?).

Edit2:

Oui, da Du ja der deutschen Sprache mächtig bist, könnte ich Dir sogar eine aktuellere Version von LazY Puppy 5 anbieten - ich müßte nur die aktualisierten Dateien hochladen, die Du dann über die bereits vorhanden Dateien kopierst.

LP5 Version 5.2.7 wurde mit T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.2.7 erstellt, wohingegen LP5 Version 5.0.2 mit T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.0.2 erstellt wurde.

Immer wenn ich Neues eingebaut oder Verbesserungen bzw. Erweiterungen vorgenommen habe, erhöhte ich die Versionsnummer um +1. Es sind also insgesamt 25 Neuerungen bzw. Verbesserungen und Erweiterungen vorgenommen worden, seit LP5 5.0.2 veröffentlicht wurde.

Allerdings habe ich seit T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.0.4 alles nur noch in deutscher Sprache entwickelt. Englische Übersetzungen sind also nicht vorhanden. Weshalb ich natürlich auch keine neueren Versionen von LazY Puppy 5 hochgeladen habe.
RSH