How I installed Skype in Puppy 2.13 beta

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Flash
Official Dog Handler

How I installed Skype in Puppy 2.13 beta

#1 Post by Flash »

• 1. Since the (9.4 MB) Dynamic binary tar.bz2 requires Qt 3.3 which Puppy doesn't seem to have, I download the (14 MB) Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt compiled in.
    2. Puppy offered to extract the download to the directory of my choice. I chose /root/my-applications, where it created a "Skype" directory containing all the extracted files.
    3. I opened the Skype directory that had been created in /root/my-applications, and saw a gear icon labelled "Skype." I dragged it the to the desktop.
    4. In the Skype directory I also saw an "Icons" directory. I opened it.
    5. I right-clicked the Skype gear icon I had dragged onto the desktop, chose "Set icon" from the menu that appeared, and dragged a Skype icon from the Skype Icon directory to the "Set icon" box.
That's all there was to it. When I clicked the Skype icon on the desktop, Skype opened. I entered my user name and password and it worked.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]
Jactek

Worked Great

#2 Post by Jactek »

Thanks Flash

Ive been tryin to get Skype installed from the Puppy Installer .
Your way woked great

Jim
Artie

#3 Post by Artie »

Yeah thanks Flash. I'll be using your instructions when I start using the finished 2.13.

Artie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I forgot to add that Skype has a peculiarity: if you click the "X" in the upper right corner to exit the program, it still remains open, and won't restart when you click the icon on the desktop. Apparently the Skype programmers have tried to emulate Windows-like behavior. :lol:

To completely exit Skype, right-click the Skype box in the system tray along the bottom of the screen, then choose "kill". Skype will then restart when you click the icon on the desktop.
GWJMateo

#5 Post by GWJMateo »

Thanks for the how to!

Has anyone done this in 2.12? I was wondering because I need skype, but can't find a download for 2.13 beta.
tometo

#6 Post by tometo »

GWJMateo wrote:Thanks for the how to!

Has anyone done this in 2.12? I was wondering because I need skype, but can't find a download for 2.13 beta.
Yes, it works fine this way in 2.12... I think for all Puppy 2. Actually I've never installed skype in another way :)

Greetings from Sofia and I wish you a Happy New Year.

P.S. My skype nick is: tomimalkija
tony

#7 Post by tony »

It worked for me. Thanks Flash for your detailed how-to.
regards Tony.
AAD

#8 Post by AAD »

Excellent Flash! Thanks for sharing. I have a multi-boot sytem with Suse Linux 10.2, Puppy 2.12, and Windows XP. I had nothing but headaches trying to get Skype to work with Suse, despite following all the trouble shooting how to's in other forums. I was so hoping and praying that someone sucessfully set up Skype with Puppy Linux 2.12 as I did not like the idea of contantly rebooting into WinXp just to use Skype.

I cannot wait to get home from work and try this. Many thanks.
klhrevolutionist

#9 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Skype actually has shown some improvements in making purchasing more easier. A little credit to them is alright.

But there are two contenders to skype

1. http://www.gizmoproject.com/
Package available: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 76&t=13584

2. http://www.wengophone.com/index.php/homePage
No pkg. available yet.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!
darkerror05

#10 Post by darkerror05 »

I had skype dotpups but my host's harddrives crashed and they are gone. Also the drive that I had it on crashed(go figure). I may have a copy somewhere otherwise I will just remake them. Mabey tomarro.....
-darkerror
nilsja

#11 Post by nilsja »

I forgot to add that Skype has a peculiarity: if you click the "X" in the upper right corner to exit the program, it still remains open, and won't restart when you click the icon on the desktop. Apparently the Skype programmers have tried to emulate Windows-like behavior. Laughing

To completely exit Skype, right-click the Skype box in the system tray along the bottom of the screen, then choose "kill". Skype will then restart when you click the icon on the desktop.
that doesn't work in pizzapup (beta 3) because there is no tray icon :(
do you know a way to acticate it?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

I've never tried Pizzapup. I can't imagine why Skype doesn't show in its system tray.. I recommend that you start a new thread, with a subject line something like "Skype doesn't show in system tray in Pizzapup" (if that accurately describes the situation. I assume you mean that you can get Skype to open once but not again unless you reboot. Is that correct, or are you having problems getting Skype to open at all? That would be a problem completely unrelated to what I describe.)
nilsja

#13 Post by nilsja »

hi flash,

skype works fine, but when i "close" it (icewm with every theme), there is no icon in the tray, i have to manually kill it.
btw, gaim has a kind of blanc icon in the tray directly when i open it. i need sleep now, it's 4 o clock here in berlin, tomorrow i'll post the problem if i don't get the solution right in the moment i'm falling asleep.
mmmkay

skype with video?

#14 Post by mmmkay »

Hi guys

does this version of skype have any support for video conferancing?

I have skype running from the dotpup, but it has no video support

i have plugged in a usb web camera, which my puppy sees, but i now need an application to run on puppy that actually uses a web cam!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Is it a USB camera? I think someone has made a dotpup for some kind of USB camera. Look in the Hardware section of the forum, or maybe the Additional software section. I have no idea if it would work with Skype though.
pmshah

Skype on live CD

#16 Post by pmshah »

I want to put skype on a 200 mb multisession live cd-rw.

Can someone tell me if this works & how much physical ram is required on the pc?

Also how much space it will take up on the cd?

Thanks.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

If I remember right, the Skype download is around 10 MB. I don't think it expands to much more than that when you "install" it (all you do to install it is unzip it to the directory of your choice, which will create a Skype directory. To start Skype, you open the Skype directory and click on the gear icon to run it.)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]
pmshah

#18 Post by pmshah »

Thanks. I tried that but ran into problems.

I then saved the downloaded file to another location & tried again on a freshly prepaded 200 mb cd. Configured skype & Seamonkey. Saved the sessions. It was a 20 mb write. But this time around it worked fine.
bvw1705

Could not make it work in Puppy 4

#19 Post by bvw1705 »

Hi Flash.

I have installed the static Skype and when I try calling the echo123 test number, I get message - a little screen, saying at the top: Call Finished and in the screen message Problem with Audio Playback. :(

I am using Xitel Storm Platinum sound card also known as Aureal Vortex in Pentium 3 1000Mhz computer with 512 Mb RAM.
Card is working happily with Gxine, I can "aplay" wav files, card is controled by Alsa mixer in 3D configuration.
However Skype is returning the above message.. :oops:

When I use the Skype Option Sound Devices, Sound in, Sound out and Ringing are all set to Default.
Each has further * posible setings availible. I have tried various "Sound in" options with "Sound out" in default and then "Sound out" various setings with "Sound in" in "Default" without success.
I note that the option "Make a test sound is greyed out. Option "Make a test call is in bold black and is availible.

Any suggestions? Help would be greately appreciated.

I have been playing with Puppy 4 for about 2 weeks now and am very impressed with it performance. I suspect it is a chapmpion greyhound. :P

Brian.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

I've had problems as I tried newer versions of Skype with different versions of Puppy. Some combinations work better than others. The sound has always worked, though sometimes not as loud as I'd like.

Have you tried opening Puppy 4's sound mixer (right-click on the speaker icon) and turning up everything?

There used to be a dotpup or dotpet of an older version of Skype. I'd say try that, if you can find it, just to see if your sound works with a different version of Skype.