How to install Lighthouse sfs to its own partition?

Using applications, configuring, problems
scientist

How to install Lighthouse sfs to its own partition?

#1 Post by scientist »

I have the sfs for Lighthouse.

How do I install it to it's own partition ?
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar
gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Scientist
  • Which Lighthouse version or which Just-Lighthouse version?
    Is the disk you want to install to already bootable (that is does it already have a boot manager)?
scientist

#3 Post by scientist »

Just-Lighthouse64-605-dualhybrid.iso

I want to install to a different partition.

AFAIK, the partition has no boot manager.
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar
gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks. few more questions
  • Is the partition on a internal drive on your system?
  • Or is it on an external unit (like a USB)?
  • AND, how do you want to boot your JLH distro? (for example from DVD or from USB or from the internal drive)
Here to help
Dry Falls

#5 Post by Dry Falls »

The easiest way to install lighthouse is a manual frugal. Explode/mount the iso and copy the initrd.xz, JL/L64-60x.sfs, any additional sfs files to the top of the partition along with the grub or isolinux.cfg files, which you can edit. If you boot from the cd/dvd and you have no other lighthouse installations, your new files will automatically load. On first shutdown, you will be given the option to save to the partition (which is as close to a full installation as lighthouse will tolerate) or to the traditional pupsave file which can be expanded to the size of your installed ram. No save folder. Should you wish to save within a folder, there is only the pupsave option, and you must specify it in the grub or isolinux cfg. By default, refind looks outside of the boot sector first for previous installations. This is what gives some people problems with "cannot find basefile". On a machine free of previous installations, you should have no problems. When I'm testing a new version, I rename those files like grub and the base sfs so refind won't find them. Then if it doesn't work out, I boot something like fatdog and change them back.

If you use grub4dos, run that from the menu (assuming you've got a desktop) and it should, if it doesn't write to your menu-1st, at least give you the entry to edit it yourself.

Pupmode=6/7 (save to partition) is very fast and responsive.

Hopefully, I didn't just add to the confusion. For the most part, it just starts up itself.

df
gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

@Dry Falls, the JLH author, offers very direct instructions for addressing your ideas.

One other option is what he provides in the JLH system to assist you, as well, is what is found in Menu>Setup>Lighthouse Universal Installer which provides a guided approach that just might match your needs.

Hope this was helpful
scientist

#7 Post by scientist »

Dry Falls wrote:The easiest way to install lighthouse is a manual frugal. Explode/mount the iso and copy the initrd.xz, JL/L64-60x.sfs, any additional sfs files to the top of the partition along with the grub or isolinux.cfg files, which you can edit. If you boot from the cd/dvd and you have no other lighthouse installations, your new files will automatically load. On first shutdown, you will be given the option to save to the partition (which is as close to a full installation as lighthouse will tolerate) or to the traditional pupsave file which can be expanded to the size of your installed ram. No save folder. Should you wish to save within a folder, there is only the pupsave option, and you must specify it in the grub or isolinux cfg. By default, refind looks outside of the boot sector first for previous installations. This is what gives some people problems with "cannot find basefile". On a machine free of previous installations, you should have no problems. When I'm testing a new version, I rename those files like grub and the base sfs so refind won't find them. Then if it doesn't work out, I boot something like fatdog and change them back.

If you use grub4dos, run that from the menu (assuming you've got a desktop) and it should, if it doesn't write to your menu-1st, at least give you the entry to edit it yourself.

Pupmode=6/7 (save to partition) is very fast and responsive.

Hopefully, I didn't just add to the confusion. For the most part, it just starts up itself.

df
Thanks, I tried a full install.

I have an AMD system with Radeon card.

I picked the pick for "Problem Radeon cards."

It did not sucessfully install.

I will try a frugal install next.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar
scientist

#8 Post by scientist »

Frugal install went great.
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar
scientist

#9 Post by scientist »

Thanks so much for your patience.

Going thru a hard time because of a friend who does not have long to live.

I decided to re-install JL64.

I read thru Dry Falls instructions, but I must be doing something wrong.

I have this file -> 5-JL64_605.sfs.

Could someone step me thru the next steps ?
Thanks,
Andy

JWM
File Manager - Thunar