Can't get puppy to work...Solved

Booting, installing, newbie
dodge727

Can't get puppy to work...Solved

#1 Post by dodge727 »

My system is self built... but has run XP Suse, Linspire, etc in the past

I burned the puppy CD iso. Then set my computer to boot from CD. the CD booted, loaded Caldera and then stopped with an A: prompt

I then switched to E: which was where the puppy Iso was, and then tried to load puppy manually.... nothing worked.

I was told I should try Linux on a easy to use system like Redhat... should I? Is puppy for linux pros? I thought it would just load.
Brian C

#2 Post by Brian C »

Is Caldera presently installed on your computer? Caldera is completely unrelated to Puppy, and you should not wind up with any letter drives (A:, E:, etc.) Did you use you CD burning program's "burn CD image" tool? You must do this, rather than burn the iso as a data CD>

Puppy was designed to be easy to use, and ought to be functional for even a Linux newbie.
dodge727

#3 Post by dodge727 »

Brian C wrote:Is Caldera presently installed on your computer? Caldera is completely unrelated to Puppy, and you should not wind up with any letter drives (A:, E:, etc.) Did you use you CD burning program's "burn CD image" tool? You must do this, rather than burn the iso as a data CD>

Puppy was designed to be easy to use, and ought to be functional for even a Linux newbie.
Ah, no, I don't think DR DOS is on my computer, I thought it was part of puppy... Yes, I used the Image/ISO selection on Nero, and it did boot, but then got into the DOS

Any ideas on why this occures? I have no idea what would cause this...
rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. What was the name of the ISO file that you burned?

2. Take the CD to a working machine, write down the list of files you can see on it and report back.
purple_ghost

Suggestions.

#5 Post by purple_ghost »

Might be that something was on the CD before the Burn?

There are some suggestions on: http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm

Did you download Puppy 2.13?

Did you check the MD5?

A lot of us have had success in burning a Puppy CD from Windows with the program mentioned on this page. BurnCDCC. Personally I turn the speed all the way down to one. MU said he did not think that was necessary. He knows a great, great, great deal more than I do.

Yes. Using Puppy should be easy. Every once in awhile some frustrations slip in. You are closer than you think. Puppy is surely faster than the other Linux OS's you mentioned.
raffy

simple and fast

#6 Post by raffy »

Puppy is supposed to be used simply, and it runs well.

If your hard disk gives you problems, then disconnect it*. Leave only the CD drive. This assumes that you have more than 128 MB RAM if you want to use the CD drive for playing CDs. But if you have less RAM, Puppy will stay in the CD drive.

* I recommend this as there has been an instance here in the forum (of kuripot) encountering problems booting Puppy because of his hard drive. What you reported points to a similar problem.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
dodge727

Re: Suggestions.

#7 Post by dodge727 »

I did download puppy 2.13

On the CD it says PUPPY_2_CD or similar to that.

I got a fresh CD, so nothing else should have been on it..

What is MD5

I'll try re-downloading it, and re-burn with other program.

What bothers me is I can't figure out where the DOS is getting started, unless it accessed my HD, but running off the CD that shouldn't have happened.
Brian C

#8 Post by Brian C »

An MD5sum is a cryptographic hash. The idea is that you get a short line of text that represents your file. Since it's almost guaranteed that you can get the string of text intact, you can hash your downloaded file and compare the hash with the the one provided for the file. Follow the instructions in the link below to do a hash (use the Puppy download instead of the OpenOffice download.

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html

This is the hash for Puppy 2.13 full_drivers: fb00d901853646281ac6412f9e4dbc5c
purple_ghost

I would try Raffy's suggestion first.

#9 Post by purple_ghost »

Raffy knows a great deal more than I do. If he is willing to help you. I mostly will be quiet and listen.

I jump back in to (maybe) keep you from having to do the download again:

You may not have to do the download again. MD5 is a method to determine the integrity of the download.

The relevant part of http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm

Check download integrity
Here is the MSDOS application for doing a checksum (note, Linux has an equivalent):

md5sum.exe (right-click to download)

To check "puppy-0.9.5.iso" for example, if you have downloaded "puppy-0.9.5.iso", "puppy-0.9.5.iso.txt" and "md5sum.exe" to the same folder, open a MSDOS box in that folder and type this:

C> md5sum -c puppy-0.9.5.iso.txt
(The "C>" is the prompt, don't type that). This will automatically compare the checksum inside "puppy-0.9.5.iso.txt" with the file "puppy-0.9.5.iso" and give you an "OK".

CD burner software
If your PC has a CD-burner drive, it will have come with software. If you find it confusing and cannot figure out how to correctly burn a ISO file to CD, then check this out:

Active contributor on the Puppy Forum, GuestToo, has discovered an application called BurnCDCC (for Windows), that is specifically designed to burn ISO files to CDs. It does nothing else, so it is very easy to use. The URL is: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html.

Alternatively, if you already have an earlier version of Puppy running, you are in luck, as Puppy has heaps of programs for burning to CD and DVD. I recommend Burniso2cd, available in the "Multimedia" menu.

Warning: If you want to create a multisession-DVD, you must use one of the DVD-burner programs in Puppy or another Linux. I currently do not know of any Windows burner program that will burn a DVD correctly for multisession use.

I hope your Puppy is yipping for you soon.
rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

What you should see on the CD are a bunch of files with names like vmlinuz. It sounds to me like you accidentally chose to burn a bootable data disk instead of a disk image. This would explain why DOS is starting.
SirDuncan

#11 Post by SirDuncan »

It shouldn't load Caldera at all. That just confuses me. rcrsn51's explanation covers the DOS prompt, but not Caldera. What exactly is it that you mean by "loaded Caldera and then stopped with an A: prompt"?
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
raffy

downloaded then burned

#12 Post by raffy »

You download an ISO file named, like, "puppy-2.13-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso" and then BURN THIS to a CD, meaning, the program should burn it into the CD and not simply copy it. See post above this.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].
purple_ghost

Caldera is maybe from.....

#13 Post by purple_ghost »

I have seen Caldera when booting the CD that is provided by Seagate with a new hard drive.

Have you tried Raffys suggestion of temporarily unplugging the hard drive?
muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

and google for burncdcc....it's a tiny download & it's only for burning bootable cdroms on windows & is very simple to use...
muggins

#15 Post by muggins »

oops...5 secs after i posted i saw that purple_ghost had already recommended burncdcc.
dodge727

#16 Post by dodge727 »

I ran across this elsewhere on the web, sounds similar to my issue:

puppy, never got it working. i have to put it on a disc and boot it, then put it onto my flash drive. i finally got nero to burn it as a bootable cd-rom, but whenever i restart my computer, my computer tries to read it as a 1.44mb floppy. i don't even have a floppy drive on my computer. i'm lost, lol.
------------------------------
Yep, my computer goes to A: drive also.

I also tried booting with the HD physically disconnected... that didn't work, but I had a time getting Windows working again... my whole point in trying this distro is I thought I wouldn't have to run all these special programs, take my computer apart, etc

ANYWAY -

I following the instructions, this is the exact title on the CD:

puppy-2.13-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso

It is identified as an ISO file

And?
rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

When you make a Bootable Data Disc with Nero, it puts a copy of Caldera DR DOS in the boot section of the CD. This boots up as Drive A:

You should have made a DIsc Image instead. You chose the wrong item from Nero's main menu.

There's nothing wrong with Nero. You just have to use the right feature.
dodge727

#18 Post by dodge727 »

With nero I have the option to copy to disk, or make a bootable disk, what on nero should I try??

Wasn't this said to be easy - I've now spent 2 days on this...

Tried to re-download puppu iso, one dowload was taking over an hour, and they second link just would never finish.
kjs

#19 Post by kjs »

In my opinion that's a mistake in the description of the download! (Not that I had a problem with it) If you burn an iso file it makes the CD exactly as it should be. Telling people that they have to burn a bootable CD with the iso file is simply misleading. Yes, the resulting CD is bootable but that's because the iso file (that's the image of a CD) was for a bootable CD.

Juergen
rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

My copy of Nero Express 6 has a main menu item called "Disc Image or Saved Project". If you can't find something like that in your version, then download BurnCDCC from here:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html

This program will convert an ISO file into a bootable CD. You can think of an ISO file as a special zip file for CDs. The program will extract the Puppy files from the ISO and burn them onto the CD.

There is nothing wrong with either your Puppy download or your computer's hard drive.