Can't get puppy to work...Solved

Booting, installing, newbie
kjs

#21 Post by kjs »

dodge727 wrote:With nero I have the option to copy to disk, or make a bootable disk, what on nero should I try??

Wasn't this said to be easy - I've now spent 2 days on this...

Tried to re-download puppu iso, one dowload was taking over an hour, and they second link just would never finish.
It IS easy but you have to know your programs. According to my wife (I have no use for winDOS and its juiceware) you have to select Disc Image or Saved Project, then select the extension iso. Then select your file and burn it to CD.
There's no Linux program which is as complicated as that piece of useless bytes called Nero. On my main machine I just click on the iso file, K3B opens and I click burn.....

Juergen
dodge727

#22 Post by dodge727 »

OK I found the setting on Nero, it is in a whole seperate menu from data discs and bootable discs, I never used that section and called "burn image to disk"

Anyway, I made the disc, it looked right. I got into F2 disableed my HD and placed the disk drive, the computer said "non system disk" aarggh

There is a guy on the web who sells Linux CDs, I'll see if he has puppy Linux on CD and ask him to test one then send it to me.

Yesterday I bought a 1 Gig USB drive for puppy, never got that far...

For now, I have a compact OS that I ran on a computer with 32 meg of RAM - Win 98. It installed easy and virtually never crshed on me.
kjs

#23 Post by kjs »

Don't waste your money! It most likely won't boot either.... Have you selected the CD drive as a boot option in your BIOS????? BEFORE the HDD???? Just disabling the HDD won't do anything. Your puter will just tell you that it can't find a boot sector on HDD

Just by the way: don't blame your current experience on Linux! So far it's all your EXISTING stuff and you haven't even reached Puppy.
That's the result of pre-loaded PC's with the virus from Redmond.

Juergen
alienjeff

Can't get puppy to work...

#24 Post by alienjeff »

I ran into someone in #damnsmalllinux the other day that was experiencing the same problem with DSL, so I doubt it's anything wrong with Puppy...more likely the existing software/apps on the HD.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
bobn9lvu

Re: making bootable puppy cd

#25 Post by bobn9lvu »

dodge727 wrote:With nero I have the option to copy to disk, or make a bootable disk, what on nero should I try??

Wasn't this said to be easy - I've now spent 2 days on this...

Tried to re-download puppu iso, one dowload was taking over an hour, and they second link just would never finish.
Nero works fine......
In windoze, right-click on this file;
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... rivers.iso
Then save it as it is with a .iso extension...

In nero select cd burner on top then the 2nd icon inside top line from right called "Burn image to Disk", navigate to saved puppy image and select it.
then burn at a slower than max speed of your burner, ( I use 16x ), and click verify image.... Check the box, to "Finalize CD" and then burn it...

It should boot in CD if you go into bios and set the boot order to;
1st CD drive
2nd Floppy drive
3rd HD drive

I set all the machines I work with to that order...

Bob 8)
raffy

Almost there

#26 Post by raffy »

Hey, dodge, you're almost there. This last post above made very very clear your last problem.

(Um, assuming that the ISO downloaded right. :) )

In my first Linux try, I was lucky to have Red Hat CD which I got for $1.50 from linuxbazaar.com, and I have already tinkered with the BIOS (CMOS Setup) for booting first from CDROM. But mind you, my first install ran a full week because I had to study everything new about Linux that I saw on the screen.

With Puppy, most of those questions are already answered ! So one step more and you're there.
SirDuncan

#27 Post by SirDuncan »

I haven't used Nero in a long time, but from what I remember what they are telling you is correct. Use the burn image option with verify and all the options set as bobn9lvu posted. Make sure your boot order is correct, and also unplug the hard drive just to be safe. If it boots after you have done all of this, then it is not Puppy giving you problems. Then try booting with your hard drive installed (again, double check your boot order) and see if it loads.
Once you have Puppy working burning an ISO is a breeze. So you will have no trouble making subsequent live CDs for Puppy or any other distro you want.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath
dodge727

#28 Post by dodge727 »

I got it set where it should load, but the system just says "no system disk found". I now understand what I did wrong and how to properly burn the ISO, so thanks for all your help. I am sure I am doing it right now, I've read your instructions and the links you all gave me.....but for whatever reason my computer won't read it.

However, at this point, I would rather buy a known good working puppy copy. You can get one for a dollar on ebay.... or why didn't I thnk of this, I'll just buy from this site.

Thanks for the help though.
bobn9lvu

#29 Post by bobn9lvu »

dodge727 wrote:I got it set where it should load, but the system just says "no system disk found". I now understand what I did wrong and how to properly burn the ISO, so thanks for all your help. I am sure I am doing it right now, I've read your instructions and the links you all gave me.....but for whatever reason my computer won't read it.

However, at this point, I would rather buy a known good working puppy copy. You can get one for a dollar on ebay.... or why didn't I thnk of this, I'll just buy from this site.

Thanks for the help though.
Are you using the same drive to burn as the boot drive???
If NOT, not all drives are the same...
Older drives have a problem recognizing bootable media...
Try booting it from same drive it was burnt from...

Bob 8)
dodge727

#30 Post by dodge727 »

I tried that, I tired both drives, I am fairly good with computers. I did make that mistake with the ISO issue, but I have to say the instructions were misleading.

I have installed Win 98, Win XP [mulitple times] Suse, Vector Linux, BeOS, ect, etc.

Anyway, I orderd a puppy CD from this site, I thnk that has to work.
kjs

#31 Post by kjs »

if all other CD's booted then it's most likely that the one you burned has a problem and the one you ordered will most likely work.

After that: welcome to Puppy-land!

Just as a little warning: unlike most HDD-only install distros Puppy doesn't automatically activate everything. Example: the first time you run it you have to activate network support, you hjave to mount your dives if you want to access them aso....

Once you are used to Puppy you may have the same effect as I have: More and more often I'm booting Puppy/Grafpup instead of openSuSE 10.2 unless I want to use some programs which simply require so many other things which I am too lazy to install under Puppy.

Juergen
-- in a world without fences and walls who needs Windows and Gates? --
>>> winDOS free since 1998 <<<
muggins

#32 Post by muggins »

dodge727,

did you read this?

http://puppyos.com/cd-puppy.htm
WARNING FOR NEWBIES: ....etc
UPDATE: Active contributor on the Puppy Forum, GuestToo, has discovered a Windows application called BurnCDCC, that just burns ISO files to CD, nothing else, so you can't go wrong. The URL is: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html.
regulars on this forum have seen many posts where people are having difficulties getting puppy cdroms to boot. i've never had any such problem...not once. among the main factors, that users have reported, are:

i) using wrong software, (or wrong options with software)...see above for burncdcc

ii) faulty, or incompleted download...google for wget & md5sum

iii) bios doesn't support cdrom boot...search forum for wakepup, or google for smb floppy

iv) some older bioses have problems with CD-R/W media...use CD-R

v) some users reported problems with particular brands of CDROM media...change brand.

anyway, i hope you've resolved your boot problems and become a regular in this forum.

cheers
alienjeff

#33 Post by alienjeff »

Juergen wrote:
-- in a world without fences and walls who need Windows and Gates? --
Nice tag end!

Juergen also wrote:
...to which I can't help but reply to with this: http://www.sheldoncomics.com/strips/sd070119.gif :wink:
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]
kjs

#34 Post by kjs »

Jeff, that's really OFF-Topic:

you know why NJ is called Garden State?

They were thinking a LONG time as they couldn't use the real name... Then they found that this stuff makes garden plants grow so they used it as a substitute.....

Sh**-State!!! I wanna get out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juergen
dodge727

PUPPY IS RUNNING

#35 Post by dodge727 »

I finally tried that program and only burns ISOs. And... it worked

In fact, I am writting this while running puppy.

Thanks for all your encouragement! Puppy is cool! Fast! Easy to use, and all that is promised. I am writng friends via web mail telling them about this...

I think the key is to use that free CD burner program, I had a good download, and was creating the right 7 files for the puppy boot disc, but Nero was messing things around.

Anyway, back to playing with the pup.
kjs

#36 Post by kjs »

GREAT!
That's what happens if programs try to show signs of intelligence and only mess up things....

Juergen
dodge727

#37 Post by dodge727 »

Yeah, I like these programs that come with puppy, they work, but don't get in the way or try to "help" too much.

I was running progams and got online within 5 minutes of loading puppy.

I also liked the video resolution selection system, much better than other versions of Linux I tried.
SirDuncan

#38 Post by SirDuncan »

I am glad you're up and working properly. I think that you'll find Puppy to be one of the easiest OSes to use without it going overboard and getting dumbed down like some other OSes. Also, the forums are extremely helpful and a lot better than waiting on a phone for 4 hours to get support from someone who doesn't speak your language.

In short, welcome and have fun!
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath