any cd_dvd burning app that can guarantee satisfactory burn?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Makoto

#21 Post by Makoto »

There are indeed car stereos that will play MP3s, from CD or otherwise. I don't know how many manufacturers install them by default, however. Assume that the stereos do NOT play MP3s, until you can check the stereo system's information online.

In any case, if the stereo will accept CDs, you can always create Audio CDs.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
Pelo

Audio CDs means what extension

#22 Post by Pelo »

mokoto, perhaps my question is idiot : i paid for songs Mp3 for my computer. Audio CDs means what extension, flac or something else (it's my first time) ?
Makoto

#23 Post by Makoto »

Audio CDs are not data CDs. They don't normally contain files with extensions, although some OSes or programs like to display them as if they were.

The music CDs you can buy in stores, for example? Those are audio CDs. A CD you can insert into any CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player and have it play music or audio, without worrying about the format of what's actually on the disc, usually.

What did you use to buy the MP3s? If you bought music tracks from a service, I'd wonder if they had DRM, which might keep you from using the songs anywhere else.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
wert

#24 Post by wert »

rcrsn51 wrote:
musher0 wrote:Other ways to check a burn:
-- use the procedure to check a disc in PeasyDisc
Instead of using some kind of checksum calculation, PeasyDisc does an actual file-by-file comparison of the files on the new disc with those in the ISO. This is ultimately what you need to verify.
Peasy disc verification isn't acceptable since you have to create an ISO first which wastes time. Also where does the ISO file get it's storage since you'd need additional 4.7Gigs of hard drive space which I don't have. One of the reasons I choose puppy as an OS is because of the liberation from useless hard drive requirements such as the established OSs that didn't even get me anywhere after consuming 7 - 20Gigs for themselves with minimal productivity.
rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

@wert: What PeasyDisc version are you using? V3.7 has two Verify buttons in the Advanced section. The lower one verifies an EXISTING ISO that you just burned.

The upper one verifies some files that you burned to a data disc. The intent is NOT to make an ISO just to verify them! But it may not work the way you want.

On March 16, 2016 I asked you for some clarification. You never replied.
wert

#26 Post by wert »

rcrsn51 wrote:@wert: What PeasyDisc version are you using? V3.7 has two Verify buttons in the Advanced section. The lower one verifies an EXISTING ISO that you just burned.

The upper one verifies some files that you burned to a data disc. The intent is NOT to make an ISO just to verify them! But it may not work the way you want.

Thanks man
wert

#27 Post by wert »

I've installed nero and it works great but expires after 1 month so it isn't my permanent solution, although the installation can be time consuming and hard for inexperienced users. Took me an hour to get Nero to detect my device. Anyways All it takes in tahrpup6.0.2 is to install makedev via PPM, create blank file in /root/Startup named makedev_nero.sh with following snippet of code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

test `whoami` = 'root' || echo "You must be root to execute the commands."
cd /dev/
umask -S u=rwx,g=rwx,o-rwx
[ -f loop0 ] \
    || MAKEDEV loop \
    || for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do mknod loop$i b 7 $i; done
[ -f sg0 -o -f sga ] \
    || MAKEDEV sg \
    || for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do mknod sg$i  c 21 $i; done
make the file executable by owner, then reboot.
wert

#28 Post by wert »

rcrsn51 wrote:@wert: What PeasyDisc version are you using? V3.7 has two Verify buttons in the Advanced section. The lower one verifies an EXISTING ISO that you just burned.

The one on tahrpup 602 doesn't come with that feature, better update it. You've saved my life when I need to verify a disk that wasn't verified immediately after burning since some burning programs don't verify after you've missed the only chance.
wert

#29 Post by wert »

rcrsn51 wrote: On March 16, 2016 I asked you for some clarification. You never replied.
Sorry man. Been too busy to check emails. I'll have a look at that. BTW you have a heck of great perception to notice the verify button in peasydisc. They should update the interface since that's a great feature hidden from sight.
wert

#30 Post by wert »

rcrsn51 wrote:@wert: Please explain what you are doing. Where are these important files? On the multi-session disc? What are you trying to burn? Just those files to a different disc? Or are you trying to clone the entire disc?

What procedure do you use in Nero? How is it seeing the contents of a Puppy multi-session disc?
I take backups on schedule daily. Just backups of important data with files ranging from executable, documents of all kinds, education material, full OS backups, just all things that can be saved in hard discs which is where they are initially. I use normal 4.7Gb blank DVDs -r and +r. My plan depends on the verification immediately after burn which is a must before I archive optical media. in an individual disk I burn again and again until the disk is full aka multisession. Thanks
Last edited by wert on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
wert

#31 Post by wert »

musher0 wrote:
Other ways to check a burn:
-- use the procedure to check a disc in PeasyDisc
-- use < cd-info > or < cd-info --dvd >: if cd-info shows you something legible in its
"analysis" part (at bottom of the listing), your burn should be good.

Other reliable CD / DVD burning utilities in Linux that won't cost you an arm and
a leg, and that don't swallow too much of your computer's resources:
-- the one in PeasyDisc (again)

I hope this helps.
How do I know the verification was good once its done in peasydisc, it only says press Enter after verifying. Does it save a log somewhere or something? Thanks
rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

I take backups on schedule daily. Just backups of important data with files ranging from executable, documents of all kinds, education material, full OS backups, just all things that can be saved in hard discs which is where they are initially. I use normal 4.7Gb blank DVDs -r and +r. My plan depends on the verification immediately after burn which is a must before I archive optical media. in an individual disk I burn again and again until the disk is full aka multisession.
So the source files are on a hard drive? This was my original confusion - people usually use "multisession disc" to mean a bootable Puppy disc that contains several sessions, not a data disc.
How do I know the verification was good once its done in peasydisc, it only says press Enter after verifying.
The Verify function uses the Linux diff command, which only reports errors. So a clean diff reports nothing. I guess that the program should report something to that effect. [Edit] Fixed in v3.8.

BTW, the ONLY time I have ever seen problems is if the actual burn fails and reports an I/O error. So if the burn is good, the Verify will be good.

Thanks for testing PeasyDisc.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 02 Apr 2017, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

If you want data on a CD/DVD to have the best chance of being burned good.

Slow down, slow down, slow down!!!!!!!!

Use a low burn speed.
Use a low burn speed.
Use a low burn speed.

I always use 8X and have no burn issues.

Here is some info to think about.
The info on how a burner actually burns a disc and disc quality, is something to consider.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/ ... ncepts.htm
This is a little old for info, but the basics still apply.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

bigpup wrote:Use a low burn speed. I always use 8X and have no burn issues.
For what type of media? For CDs, 8x is slow, for DVDs, it's medium and for BDs, it's fast. And the numbers change for re-writeables.

Here is my philosophy. Any decent modern computer can keep up with a burner. So set the burn speed on Auto and let the drive pick its own optimal speed. It knows better than me what speed to use.
8Geee

#35 Post by 8Geee »

I've done a lot of remastering/upgrading with BurnISOtoCD (included in some puppies like Sllacko5.7). For all of my work 10x is the default for that app using a CDr. I've never had a frisbee (bad burn). I do agree its the media-type that determines best speed. IMHO for CDr's I would not burn above 12x./mho

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

8Geee wrote:IMHO for CDr's I would not burn above 12x.
What evidence do you have that higher speeds could fail? BurnISOtoCD doesn't have an Auto setting, so you never get to see how a particular burner would work if you let it pick its own speed.
8Geee

#37 Post by 8Geee »

The default UI box shows 10x as a default (?) setting. My particular burner runs 16x, BUT some segments of the burn run slower, at 10x. Buffer underrun is a cause of failed burns. One likes to see 98% minimum, and things are not apparently constant during the burning process. Thats what I see during the process during a burn to disc.
rcrsn51

#38 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look at the code for burniso2cd. It always calls the burning tool (cdrecord or growisofs) with a SPEED option. So you are always trying to force the drive into burning at a specified speed.

Some burning apps have an AUTO mode, where you specify NO speed and let the drive pick its own.

Here's an example. I own a slimline USB burner. I burned a Puppy ISO to CD on Auto. The speed got as high as 20x with zero problems. Forcing it to burn at 10x would have been a waste of time.
8Geee

#39 Post by 8Geee »

I lost this thread, but found it again.

The burner runs 16-17x throughout most of the burn, but drops to 10x for a few segments. The UIbox has 10x as a value that I do not change.

Regards
8Geee
wert

#40 Post by wert »

rcrsn51 wrote:
I take backups on schedule daily. Just backups of important data with files ranging from executable, documents of all kinds, education material, full OS backups, just all things that can be saved in hard discs which is where they are initially. I use normal 4.7Gb blank DVDs -r and +r. My plan depends on the verification immediately after burn which is a must before I archive optical media. in an individual disk I burn again and again until the disk is full aka multisession.
So the source files are on a hard drive? This was my original confusion - people usually use "multisession disc" to mean a bootable Puppy disc that contains several sessions, not a data disc.
How do I know the verification was good once its done in peasydisc, it only says press Enter after verifying.
The Verify function uses the Linux diff command, which only reports errors. So a clean diff reports nothing. I guess that the program should report something to that effect. [Edit] Fixed in v3.8.

BTW, the ONLY time I have ever seen problems is if the actual burn fails and reports an I/O error. So if the burn is good, the Verify will be good.

Thanks for testing PeasyDisc.
Thanks man.