tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Snail

palemoonn-update nukes my profile

#661 Post by Snail »

Anybody else found this? Not a pleasant surprise.

666philb

Re: getflash not working

#662 Post by 666philb »

Snail wrote:I ran Tahr update, then getflash. The download started but then I got the message "Sorry the Player did not download. Try the Puppy Package Manager". The PPM doesn't appear to have anything.
should be fixed now .... it was grabbing the 32bit version

thanks
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

newbie007

how to enable save folder (instead of save file)?

#663 Post by newbie007 »

hello, i believe this is the thread LazY Puppy suggested i post to about my problem (am using Tahrpup64 6.0.5). if not the right place, do please kindly point me in the right direction, thanks. :)

i had put the original post in beginner's help:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109026

newbie007

Re: how to enable save folder (instead of save file)?

#664 Post by newbie007 »

newbie007 wrote:hello, i believe this is the thread LazY Puppy suggested i post to about my problem (am using Tahrpup64 6.0.5). if not the right place, do please kindly point me in the right direction, thanks. :)

i had put the original post in beginner's help:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109026
another problem, not sure if in any way related or not, other than both have to do with saving session.

i initially started with a 32mb save file as i was tinkering to figure out how to set up properly. puppy soon started complaining about insufficient space in the save file, so i used the built-in "resize personal storage file" utility to increase size to 512mb. after a reboot, it continued to complain, so i increased it to 4gb - the biggest that seems to be available. after another reboot, it is continuing to complain - with flashing icon in system tray at bottom right and occasional pop-ups.

i have not made many changes - regional settings, puppy linux forum web pages, and that's about it.

can't seem to go bigger than 4gb. it's telling me 4640mb used / 1 mb free.

it has heavy encryption configured - not sure if that is contributing.

Snail

Getflash fixed

#665 Post by Snail »

Thanks Phil. Very quick service indeed!

Snail

touchpad setting not persistant

#666 Post by Snail »

menu>desktop>flSynclient>Touchpad Mode OFF works for the session but the touchpad is back on following reboot.

Fully updated Tahr64, Thinkpad T400, No HDD, All Tahr files and the save directory on the same USB in /mnt/home/Tahr64-605.

I've not noticed any other persistance problems with this setup, unless my Palemoon update issue can be counted as one.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: how to enable save folder (instead of save file)?

#667 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

newbie007 wrote:another problem, not sure if in any way related or not, other than both have to do with saving session.

i initially started with a 32mb save file as i was tinkering to figure out how to set up properly. puppy soon started complaining about insufficient space in the save file, so i used the built-in "resize personal storage file" utility to increase size to 512mb. after a reboot, it continued to complain, so i increased it to 4gb - the biggest that seems to be available. after another reboot, it is continuing to complain - with flashing icon in system tray at bottom right and occasional pop-ups.

i have not made many changes - regional settings, puppy linux forum web pages, and that's about it.

can't seem to go bigger than 4gb. it's telling me 4640mb used / 1 mb free.

it has heavy encryption configured - not sure if that is contributing.
Probably better to start with 64MB or 128MB then. Starting with 32MB encrypted probably borked something and you need to delete it.

Snail

Problem with the Palemoon-updater

#668 Post by Snail »

On an up-to-date Tahr64, the updater doesn't work properly. The software update works but a new .moonchild productions directory is created under /root. The original directory in /root/spot is ignored. I wasn't given any option to put the update into spot. Profilemanager can't see the old profile, which seems intact.

How do I fix this? I assume that I could move the old profile up into the new /root etc location so profilemanager can see it but presumably Palemoon is no longer running under spot?

Surely I can't be the only one seeing this?

Snail

Touchpad settings not persistant

#669 Post by Snail »

On this laptop, having the touchpad on and not being able to turn it off and have it stay off is really annoying. I was forced to make a script and put it in the startup directory to turn the stupid thing off each boot.

666philb

#670 Post by 666philb »

hi snail,

glad you fixed your touchpad problem.

for the palemoon problem you could try symlinking your moonchild productions directory from the the spot directory to /root.. & if that fails try symlinking the other way, from the directory in /root to the spot directory

to symlink just drag and drop the directory and choose 'link relative'
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

prehistoric

#671 Post by prehistoric »

Hi folks,

I'm new on Tahrpup64, since I've been using Fatdog64 from 500s up to 710, and Precise or Lucid Puppy before that. Please bear with my ignorance.

Recently, my ISP caused a networking problem that took a while to identify, and I became dissatisfied with the Fatdog method of network set-up when things don't happen automatically.

I wanted to compare with another recent 64-bit Puppy, and chose Tahrpup64 6.0.5. I have that installed and working so that I can quickly boot into either for comparison, but there is a problem with the open-source driver for Nvidia (nouveau) that leads to invisible cursors after I leave it running for a long time.

Because Tahrpup64 has a convenient button to upgrade to the proprietary Nvidia driver, I thought I would try that. It downloaded and installed, but I recall a message about removing the nouveau kernel module which I thought I could bypass by rebooting.

If there is some magic required, beyond what used to be true on 32-bit Tahrpup, I don't know it.

Another problem which comes to mind is that I used the bugfix button to install the corrected glibc before I tried to upgrade the driver. Could that driver now be built against the wrong glibc library?

Added: I've now made several experiments which ended in disasters that caused me to delete save folders and start from scratch. I would not advise anyone to use the convenient button to upgrade nvidia drivers at present. Even if you can manipulate files like kernel modules to run the proprietary driver I agree with bigpup.
Even if moving files around manually, would work. No normal user of Puppy is going to understand how to do it.
Xorgwizard has just gotten to be too automatic at doing things, :twisted: :evil:
The response of naive users to this situation is likely to involve torches and pitchforks.
Last edited by prehistoric on Wed 14 Dec 2016, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Snail

Touch pad and Pale Moon issues

#672 Post by Snail »

Thanks Phil,

I have "fixed" my touch pad issue. However, I also have Lupu Sulu2 2016 beta loaded on this laptop and in that puppy I have no problem with the touch pad setting persisting over reboots. any idea why?

I noticed thar Sulu2 has a one-line script "load-touchpad-settings" in ~/Startup/ .

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
flsynclient -s
I don't know why that should be necessary.

I have several issues and even more questions about Pale Moon and its installer. Bigpup and anikin have been trying to help me sort things out in the Pale Moon thread but I am still baffled. That discussion starts here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=225

You may be interested, otherwise it's fine.

Snail

touchpad setting make persistant

#673 Post by Snail »

I copied Lucid's script, "load-touchpad-settings" in ~/Startup/ to theTaht64 ~/Startup/ directory and that works fine as well. It's a smarter solution than my simple hack.

666philb

#674 Post by 666philb »

prehistoric wrote:Hi folks,

I'm new on Tahrpup64, since I've been using Fatdog64 from 500s up to 710, and Precise or Lucid Puppy before that. Please bear with my ignorance.

Recently, my ISP caused a networking problem that took a while to identify, and I became dissatisfied with the Fatdog method of network set-up when things don't happen automatically.

I wanted to compare with another recent 64-bit Puppy, and chose Tahrpup64 6.0.5. I have that installed and working so that I can quickly boot into either for comparison, but there is a problem with the open-source driver for Nvidia (nouveau) that leads to invisible cursors after I leave it running for a long time.

Because Tahrpup64 has a convenient button to upgrade to the proprietary Nvidia driver, I thought I would try that. It downloaded and installed, but I recall a message about removing the nouveau kernel module which I thought I could bypass by rebooting.

If there is some magic required, beyond what used to be true on 32-bit Tahrpup, I don't know it.

Another problem which comes to mind is that I used the bugfix button to install the corrected glibc before I tried to upgrade the driver. Could that driver now be built against the wrong glibc library?

Added: I've now made several experiments which ended in disasters that caused me to delete save folders and start from scratch. I would not advise anyone to use the convenient button to upgrade nvidia drivers at present. Even if you can manipulate files like kernel modules to run the proprietary driver I agree with bigpup.
Even if moving files around manually, would work. No normal user of Puppy is going to understand how to do it.
Xorgwizard has just gotten to be too automatic at doing things, :twisted: :evil:
The response of naive users to this situation is likely to involve torches and pitchforks.
hi prehistoric,

can you check on the nvidia website to see what driver you need.

666philb

tahrpup64 6.0.5.3

#675 Post by 666philb »

tahrpup 6.0.5.3 testing is now available for download

latest woofCE rationlize
kernel 3.14.79 (no dirty cow & patched for nouveau to work with more cards)
uefi booting (hopefully)
puppy icon theme (01micko)
more firmware

lots of apps updated....

jwm
urxvt
deadbeef
geany
vlc (plays hevc encoded video)
palemoon (hd html5 streaming youtube)
inkscapelite (ruler bugfix)
mtpaint
packit
jwmdesk
uextract
peasyapps
transmission.....and more

all the latest Ubuntu updates
+ various fixes and tweaks

if anyone has a touchscreen can you report if it works or not
same goes for uefi booting

testing iso can be downloaded here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/tahrpup/
the iso is big as the firmware needs stripping a bit

ho ho ho

Sailor Enceladus

Re: tahrpup64 6.0.5.3

#676 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

666philb wrote:tahrpup 6.0.5.3 testing is now available for download

latest woofCE rationlize
uefi booting (hopefully)
more firmware

lots of apps updated....

jwm
urxvt
deadbeef
geany
mtpaint
packit
jwmdesk
uextract
peasyapps

ho ho ho
:D

I might be able to test it tomorrow. Only have my 32-bit laptop right now.

Snail

tahrpup64 6.0.5.3

#677 Post by Snail »

Merry Christmas to you too Phil. Is this version compatible with a save folder written by the previous version?

peebee

#678 Post by peebee »

latest woofCE rationlize
ho ho ho
Hi Phil

Boots (bios manual frugal install) fine on my nvidia desktop pc.

Notice that /etc/DISTRO_SPECS has:
BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;41b8b6a;2015-12-08 22:55:58 +0200'

You need to delete this line prior to running merge2out

You can also delete line:
#32-byte alpha-numeric ID-string appended to vmlinuz, puppy_tahr64_6.0.5.3.sfs, zdrv_tahr64_6.0.5.3.sfs and devx.sfs:

as this is no longer used in woof-ce-rationalise

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

prehistoric

#679 Post by prehistoric »

666philb wrote:...
hi prehistoric,

can you check on the nvidia website to see what driver you need.
The motherboard is an ASUS M2NPV-VM with integrated graphics most closely resembling early Quadros and sometimes designated as type 6150. Hardware-info describes this as NV4E.

The driver download from the Nvidia site is for Linux kernels 2.4-2.6, not exactly current.

Correction: meant ASUS not Nvidia site.

By my reading of supported types on the Nvidia site this should work with their driver 331.20.

ASUS really isn't interested in supporting this any longer. I wouldn't bother you about it if the attempt to use the driver had not been a disaster that caused me to remove the save file repeatedly. The problem is not simply that it fails, but that recovery requires magic beyond what I know about moving kernel modules, replacing Xorg configuration files and running Xorgwizard.

(There was a time when I was even rolling my own mode lines in an ancient version of X windows. Things have become far more automatic, and my knowledge has suffered from dry-rot.)

This is a situation where I recommend making a copy of the save file before attempting installation.
Last edited by prehistoric on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#680 Post by belham2 »

latest woofCE rationlize
uefi booting (hopefully)
more firmware

lots of apps updated....

jwm
urxvt
deadbeef
geany
mtpaint
packit
jwmdesk
uextract
peasyapps

ho ho ho

Thank you, Phil! Everything seems to work great, and all the apps are basically the newest versions :)

Have one question to you (or anyone):

I notice that in this new version the "openssl version" is still 'OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014' (same as the previous Tahr64 pup). Isn't this several versions ago of the latest openssl??? Do you happen to have the latest, updated version of openssl complied for Tahrpup64 (it's sort of important nowadays given the attack vectors by hackers)? Maybe so that we can download the latest as a pet and easily install it? Or do each of us--gulp--have to download the 'devx' files and then attempt to compile the latest openssl version for ourselves?? :(

Again, mucho thanks for the latest Tahr64 pup!

P.S. [Edit] Wait, I remember Peebee explaining to me awhile back the crazy scheme ubuntu uses when updating something. Even when they update it, they still leave the same number. So maybe the openssl 1.0.1f is the latest??? Dang, wish I understood this stuff better. Now I know why Peebee said it is so much easier to grasp in Slacko---and it is!!! Slacko (like debian & the dogs), makes it flippin' simple to understand if you have the latest version of something, especially something important like openssl. If anyone knows the answer about this 1.0.1f version in the latest tahrpup64, would appreciate any feedback