Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Walter Dnes

Re: libraries in lupu5.2.8 devx

#621 Post by Walter Dnes »

Given that there is a Puppy community that wants older-glibc Pale Moon, I'll try to get a build environment going under a CentOS 6 VM. This could take me a few days, depending on how much I have to download source for utilities and build from scratch. No guarantees that it'll actually be possible, but I will try. Right now 6.8 is the oldest CentOS available for download.
OscarTalks

#622 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Walter Dnes,

Thank you for your work and for posting here in this forum. I think you will find that Puppy people are friendly and we try to be as helpful as possible. Puppy Linux is a very good option for people wanting to use old machines and Lucid Puppy remains amazingly popular even though often more recent Puppy versions also work well on old hardware.

There is some documentation about the packages in the main .iso and also the packages in the devx in the hidden directory /root/.packages but some of that may be out of date because of all the updates that have been added to it by the community over a number of years. I think you have already decided that you will not be able to use it as a build environment. Obviously you can try to add packages that are missing by obtaining them from Ubuntu or building from source, but if there is a suitable CentOS version it may be a better option. I am only a relative novice but I do a bit of compiling in Puppy so I do understand how much time and effort is involved in these things.
Oscar in England
sindi

compiling browsers for puppy linux

#623 Post by sindi »

Oscar is not a typical amateur. I found six pages (there is more at yandex) of Oscar's
contributed puppy packages, some posted yesterday. (Are any of these in the official
repositories?) Packaged 2013-2016, for puppy 5 versions wary, lucid, precise, slacko5, and
wheezy (all 2010-2013). Newer versions of programs for OSes with older libraries.

http://smokey01.com/oscartalks

A sampling:

skype, linphone
mplayer, smplayer, xine, vlc, ffmpeg, deadbeef, cdrtools, aqualung, audacity
libreoffice
google earth
flashplayer 24 32 and 64 bit (Dec 13)

browsers: links2, netsurf, dillo, opera, tor, qupzilla, slimboat, slimjet, qtweb, firefox,
seamonkey, chrome, chromium 34

puppy advert-blocker

Pale Moon is conspicuously absent. (Also lynx and elinks).

In a 2014 palemoon forum discussion I learned that 666philb packaged palemoon 24 for Tahr
Puppy. Which may not mean actually compiling it, just changing to pet format.

Oscar, did you compile all your packaged programs? If so, using what OS?
OscarTalks

Re: compiling browsers for puppy linux

#624 Post by OscarTalks »

sindi wrote:Oscar, did you compile all your packaged programs? If so, using what OS?
Hello sindi,

Some are compiled by me from source in various Puppies. Usually the name will give some indication of which one. The Puppy I use most myself is a remaster of Wheezy, originally produced by poster Pemasu. Some are re-packages of .debs and other pre-compiled binaries, especially the big browsers although I have built my own versions of Seamonkey (a while ago) and Firefox. It is possible to get builds which are optimised to run lighter and faster than the official Mozilla releases.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England
sindi

optimizing Pale Moon for Puppy Linux on older hardware

#625 Post by sindi »

How do you optimize a browser to run lighter and faster? Do you configure it to support specific hardware instead of all hardware (such as the Atom or SSE version of Pale Moon)? Or to include fewer features (omit Mail in Seamonkey for instance)?
rerwin

Lucid Pup 2016 is complete!

#626 Post by rerwin »

I have finished uploading all ten variants of Lucid Pup for the 2016 release. I am not aware of any problems we cannot live with, at this point.

I continue to collect candidates for inclusion in a future release, but will hold them until there is a compelling reason to make a new set. Please feel free to make suggestions for significant fixes and updated packages, for next time.

My next task with this is to update the links in the first posting of this thread.
EDIT: The links are updated. Done!

Download directory: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dh45w4 ... 16_Release

The complete change list: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 697#932697
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
don922

Screen Saver doesn't work

#627 Post by don922 »

I am currently using Puppy528.7-20161228. I was previously using Puppy528.7-20161216 and before that Puppy528.7-20150702.

I have a short-cut for the ScreenSaver Control on my desktop. It has ceased to work. I think this happened about the time I started using Puppy528.7-20161216 or maybe a little before using this puppy. The ScreenSaver Control in the Desktop menu has continued to work.

Is there a quick and easy way to fix this? I can't, even, find where I can download a ScreenSaver Control 2 to just replace the non-working unit.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]
rerwin

Re: Screen Saver doesn't work

#628 Post by rerwin »

don922 wrote:I have a short-cut for the ScreenSaver Control on my desktop. It has ceased to work.
. . .
The ScreenSaver Control in the Desktop menu has continued to work.

Is there a quick and easy way to fix this?
Yes.
Right-click your icon and select 'Edit item'. The first field should show as:
/usr/local/bin/sscontrol

If you change that, click on '(click to set)'.

What do you have it set to, before the change?
Richard
don922

Screen Saver Fixed

#629 Post by don922 »

I followed the advice given
Right-click your icon and select 'Edit item'. The first field should show as: /usr/local/bin/sscontrol
The Screen Saver on the desktop is now working again.

Prior to this change the Screen Saver was set to: /usr/local/PupControl/SS-control

It had worked for a long time, but finally failed (just got tired, I guess).

Thanks for your help.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]
rerwin

#630 Post by rerwin »

sindi wrote:3. In the middle of saving after initial boot (fresh install without using the old save file) Adobe Flash flashed on screen. I would have expected it right after running the Connection Wizard.
I, too, sometimes see this behavior, but chose to ignore it in order to finish up the release. I have now looked into it and see the problem. The program behind that window is looking for processes with the names of browsers, so it can offer flashplayer when a browser is chosen and then first used. But the way it is done can yield false positives.

Unfortunately, it looks in the output of 'ps' for strings that are the browser executable names. If they appear in any process entry, even if not the name of the executable, it sees the "hits" as browsers, and does its thing. One of the names is "iron", which could appear in many words -- "environment" comes to mind.

I see the problem as an annoyance that has always been there, just that now there seems to be a process containing a browser name string. For anyone needing to fix this, say, for remastering, here is the difference listing for what I am doing:

Code: Select all

# diff /root/Startup/install-flashplayer /root/0_LUPU-5.2.8.6/zz_lupu_5.2.8.7-delta-20170102/root/Startup/install-flashplayer
2a3
> #170102 rerwin: loop only until browser found; correct test to avoid false positives
6c7
<   while [ 1 ];do
---
>   until [ -f /var/local/internetsuccess ];do #170102
9,10c10
<    ALLPS="`ps`"
<    if [ "`echo "$ALLPS" | grep -E 'seamonkey-bin|firefox-bin|opera|arora|QtWeb|iron|chrome|chromium-browser'`" != "" ];then
---
>    if [ "`ps -C seamonkey-bin,firefox-bin,opera,arora,QtWeb,iron,chrome,chromium-browser | grep -v 'PID TTY'`" != "" ];then #170102
39c39
< fi
\ No newline at end of file
---
> fi
The lesson learned, here, is that to detect the execution of particular programs, the "ps | grep 'PATTERN'" method should be avoided, in favor of "ps -C EXECNAME1,EXECNAME2... | grep -v 'PID TTY'". That finds only the command/executable names.
Richard
belham2

#631 Post by belham2 »

Just wanted to give a heads up about maybe something important regarding Rerwin's Lupu(s).

If you open a terminal in any of the updated Lupu(s), and type "openssl version", the answer the terminal will give back is:

openssl version 0.9.8 25 Mar 2009

So, do yourself a favor, and go to this link (below) here on the Puppy Linux forum (the 'Security' section) where Watchdog kindly compiled the lastest openssl version (1.0.2j) that works perfect with all the Lupu(s), Warys, etc. I stuck/installed Watchdog's openssl-1.0.2j-w5-i486.pet in my lupu main install, and the openssl updates quickly and seamlessly. Then you can relax a little bit knowing you'll be protected against many of the nasty openssl problems/vulnerabilities that have surfaced not only in the past two years, but, haha, also since 2009.

link to Watchdog's compiles (with the .devx & .doc pets also included)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108270
rerwin

#632 Post by rerwin »

Thanks, belham2, for bringing that to our attention. However, the situation is not as bleak as you suggest.

My lucid ubuntu deb updates include the latest backports of fixes to openssl. The last changes are:
  • openssl:openssl (0.9.8k-7ubuntu8.27) lucid-security; urgency=medium

* SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service and possible memory corruption via
    malformed EC private key
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0209.patch: fix use after free in
    crypto/ec/ec_asn1.c.
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0209-2.patch: fix a failure to NULL a pointer
    freed on error in crypto/asn1/x_x509.c, crypto/ec/ec_asn1.c.
    - CVE-2015-0209
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service via cert verification
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0286.patch: handle boolean types in
    crypto/asn1/a_type.c.
    - CVE-2015-0286
    * SECURITY UPDATE: ASN.1 structure reuse memory corruption
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0287.patch: free up structures in
    crypto/asn1/tasn_dec.c.
    - CVE-2015-0287
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service via invalid certificate key
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0288.patch: check public key isn't NULL in
    crypto/x509/x509_req.c.
    - CVE-2015-0288
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service and possible code execution via
    PKCS#7 parsing
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0289.patch: handle missing content in
    crypto/pkcs7/pk7_doit.c, crypto/pkcs7/pk7_lib.c.
    - CVE-2015-0289
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service or memory corruption via base64
    decoding
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0292.patch: prevent underflow in
    crypto/evp/encode.c.
    - CVE-2015-0292
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service via assert in SSLv2 servers
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0293.patch: check key lengths in
    ssl/s2_lib.c, ssl/s2_srvr.c.
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0293-2.patch: fix unsigned/signed warnings in
    ssl/s2_srvr.c.
    - CVE-2015-0293
So, any 2016 fixes apparently have not been backported.
belham2

#633 Post by belham2 »

rerwin wrote:Thanks, belham2, for bringing that to our attention. However, the situation is not as bleak as you suggest.

My lucid ubuntu deb updates include the latest backports of fixes to openssl. The last changes are:
  • openssl:openssl (0.9.8k-7ubuntu8.27) lucid-security; urgency=medium

* SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service and possible memory corruption via
    malformed EC private key
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0209.patch: fix use after free in
    crypto/ec/ec_asn1.c.
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0209-2.patch: fix a failure to NULL a pointer
    freed on error in crypto/asn1/x_x509.c, crypto/ec/ec_asn1.c.
    - CVE-2015-0209
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service via cert verification
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0286.patch: handle boolean types in
    crypto/asn1/a_type.c.
    - CVE-2015-0286
    * SECURITY UPDATE: ASN.1 structure reuse memory corruption
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0287.patch: free up structures in
    crypto/asn1/tasn_dec.c.
    - CVE-2015-0287
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service via invalid certificate key
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0288.patch: check public key isn't NULL in
    crypto/x509/x509_req.c.
    - CVE-2015-0288
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service and possible code execution via
    PKCS#7 parsing
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0289.patch: handle missing content in
    crypto/pkcs7/pk7_doit.c, crypto/pkcs7/pk7_lib.c.
    - CVE-2015-0289
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service or memory corruption via base64
    decoding
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0292.patch: prevent underflow in
    crypto/evp/encode.c.
    - CVE-2015-0292
    * SECURITY UPDATE: denial of service via assert in SSLv2 servers
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0293.patch: check key lengths in
    ssl/s2_lib.c, ssl/s2_srvr.c.
    - debian/patches/CVE-2015-0293-2.patch: fix unsigned/signed warnings in
    ssl/s2_srvr.c.
    - CVE-2015-0293
So, any 2016 fixes apparently have not been backported.
Hi Rerwin,

My apologies, ugh, I got confused and thus brain-farted as I keep forgetting Lupu is Ubuntu-based. Thus, we have to suffer in that wonderment at staring at the naming schemes ubuntu sometimes keeps, wondering how far it has been updated.

Again, sorry :oops:

Can I ask an entirely other topic. Is there any way for me to get redshift working on Lupu main? My screens kill my eyes, even when I manually (using the screen's controls) try to turn down brightness and gamma. I notice redshift doesn't come up in the PPM search, do you think there might be a way I could get it in, or rather, on my system? The reason I ask is that in both Tahrpup64 and Peebee's/Phil's xenial-based pups (and. of course, all the debian-based pups here) redshift is in those repos, and thus goes on easy. I'm just wondering if you think if it is worth a shot that I download the lupu devx and docs, and then the redshift source code from github, and try to compile it myself? If you think it is a bad idea, please tell me, because I do currently have my lupu customized and setup just how I like it (it brings back such good memories). It would irk the heck out of me if I screw it up now just trying to get redshift on there.

Thanks
fredx181

#634 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Is there any way for me to get redshift working on Lupu main?
Maybe you tried already, I didn't test but there's a chance that the redshiftgui from DD-Jessie works on Lupu.
http://debiandog.github.io/Jessie/i386/ ... e_i386.deb

Or else from Sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/redshi ... t/download
(the one for Jessie is a little modified from this)

Fred
Keef

#635 Post by Keef »

belham2

Redshift will work on Lupu. I use the pet from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59285
See Pelo's post.
I just needed libxcb-randr.so.0.1.0 with a symlink libxcb-randr.so.0
I had my own copy, but you can get it via PPM.

EDIT: Checked it worked from a fresh install
Attachments
redshift.jpg
(33.99 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
belham2

#636 Post by belham2 »

Thank you, Fred & Keef!!

Got redshift working, couldn't understand at first why it wasn't working then when you (Keef) mentioned the symlink tip, everything clicked and she fired right up.

I cannot believe how I have come to rely and need this redshift app. What was I thinking when I was younger staring into blinding CRTs, lol, and never thinking about what it was doing to my visual cortex (and overall health).

I really wish all pups and pup-related creations, like Fred does with the debian dogs (and now Lupu & Tahrs), would make the redshift an easy to find .pet in the repos. And this doesn't even consider how hard it is to get redshift in any pup that is Slacko-based. It is a doggone nightmare....unless I am not doing something right there too. I have the correct redshift Slackware packages, downloaded from Slackware itself, for 14.2 redshift slacko even, and this works in Salix and other slackware OSes. But I cannot get this Slack redshift package to work in Phils & Peebee's Slacko creations---I just keep getting "cannot execute binary file: Exec format error". This seems weird since, if I check the redshift file in terminal, by typing: file redshift, the terminal brings back:

redshift: EF 64-bit LSB executable, x86_64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpretor /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, stripped.
So nothing looks wrong there. Thus why redshift won't work in any slacko-based puppy that I have tried I don't understand.

Oh well, thanks again, guys!!! My eyes thank you too. Heck, maybe pup developers could make Redshift a standard inclusion in all creations, sort of mandatory like a file manager is :D This old man sure wouldn't complain about that (plus, redshift is so small in size as to be nearly non-existent). Come to think of it, aren't there murga-goers out there like me who were once young and dumb, but now another decade or more has passed, and suddenly were not young, but still dumb though were also battling our bodies which are finding ways to ache, moan and break down a little more at any given moment.... :lol: :lol:
rerwin

#637 Post by rerwin »

I have been trying redshift. Does redshiftgui also include redshift itself? I have acquired both, as well as a deb converted to pet for libxcb-randr.so.0.1.0 and the symlink.

The gui comes up. But how do I know whether redshift is actually "doing its thing"?

My redshift pet produces an error message and stops. I hope I can abandon that trail, if redshiftgui takes care of it all.
fredx181

#638 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rerwin,
I have been trying redshift. Does redshiftgui also include redshift itself? I have acquired both, as well as a deb converted to pet for libxcb-randr.so.0.1.0 and the symlink.

The gui comes up. But how do I know whether redshift is actually "doing its thing"?
Yes, redshiftgui has included redshift itself, to see if it works click on the 'Preview' button and you should see the change.

Just for info:
You need to set it up for your location: click location button, in new window from dropdown menu: choose "Lookup by address/zip" and type your city name, then save.
In settings window you can adjust day and night temperature (I always dim the day temperature also a little bit).
See screenshot.

Fred
Attachments
redshift.jpg
Redshift-gui setup
(47.85 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
rerwin

#639 Post by rerwin »

Fred,
Thanks for the tutorial. To satisfy the need for libxcb-randr0.0.so, I used the Puppy Package Manager to install the package, libxcb-rarndr0_1.5 (in ubuntu-lucid-main) from the "old-releases" download mirror. That is the only mirror that now works. I obtained my location values from my atlas.

When I run the "preview" I do not see any difference in the color of white, in a console window. The current temperature does change from one to the other, as expected. Neither of the sliders seem to have any effect, either.

Maybe my monitor does not respect whatever it is that redshift is doing. It is a Samsung 943N
Richard
sindi

feature request: suspend and hibernate (acpitool)

#640 Post by sindi »

I switched back from tahr to lupu because my partner wants to suspend (or even hibernate) and
acpitool works with lupu (and puppy 4.31) but not slacko or precise or tahr, on our
laptops (2001-2009). Maybe their kernels are too new? Kernel 3 - 2011 +.

acpitool -s suspends to RAM on my 2008 netbook with Lupu 2.8.5.7.
It is statically compiled and only 26K. (From PPM?).

Fluppy 13 (mostly 4.3.1 with some updates such as Frisbee and bluetooth) has acpitool,
and the Shutdown menu offers many options including suspend and hibernate.
We would appreciate this feature in Lupu 2017. But I can add a script for acpitool.

Fluppy and Lupu (one version) both use 2.6 kernel and midori.

They use similar amounts of RAM. About 90MB for lupu, with X but without ROX-file or cupsd.
15MB of that is firewall and 5MB lynx. (I forgot to subtract cached RAM, which explains
how seamonkey can run at all when it uses 112% of 512MB RAM).

I prefer lupu for several reasons:

1) amazingly up-to-date (Fluppy was abandoned in 2015)
2) glibc 2.11 (instead of 2.10) and a libdbus that does not crash Seamonkey
3) jwm (instead of icewm)
4) mplayer (used by smtube, which works in lupu but not in fluppy -libdbus problem)
5) a lot more packages (fluppy has its own limited set without jwm)
6) save to directory (not just save file). Safe to set people up with it and let them update
or add packages.
7) comes with fbcon (working)

On the other hand, Fluppy:
1) suspends or hibernates.
2) set up eth0 automatically with nothing to click on or choose.
(And got my time zone right - by accident. Tahr has a timezone bug if you choose GMT -5).
I have no wireless card - the slot went bad. Perhaps Lupu could do the same for
computers with only wired ethernet.
3) was optimized for netbooks (atom) - set up video and sound automatically

Tahr runs Chrome 37 or later, which is needed for Netflix. Will Chrome 37 run in Lupu?
Perhaps I can make a minimal netflix-puppy. (NOT for the pentium III 1GHz).

I tried X-Slacko Slim and xfce doubles the memory usage. No jwm, ssh, or sftp.

A forum member there suggested Fluxpup. Fluxbox works in mysterious ways and Alt-F1
instead of a menu produced a half-screen rxvt wider than my screen.