Seeking enlightenment re partitions & file systems

Booting, installing, newbie
une

Seeking enlightenment re partitions & file systems

#1 Post by une »

I am quite unsure about exactly what partitions and filesystems are, why they are necessary and how the OS uses them. I have done some research of my own but meaningful answers are hard to find.

I am using Puppy as a Live CD combined with a USB memory key so I believe my Puppy sessions are leaving absolutely no trace of themselves on the PC's HD. Is this correct?

It seems that I can use space on the HD to replicate what my USB memory key is currently doing?
Is this correct?
Is so, does this space on the HD have to be a separate partition, or can I simply save the Puppy Files anywhere? Do the Puppy files have to be saved onto a partition on the HD that is of a particular filesystem?

Would this be the "swap" partition I hear so much about?
CatmanDru

#2 Post by CatmanDru »

Would this be the "swap" partition I hear so much about?

no. In a badly-explained nutshell, a swap partition has a special type of formatting and is used by linux as an extension or auxilary of the RAM. Its a way of "faking' additional RAM. Swap cannot be used to "store" your files, and other precious data and retrieve them later.
une

#3 Post by une »

So could I create such a "swap" partition on the WinXP PC I use at work solely for my use of Puppy Linux? Could I create this partition using Puppy Linux? Is it worth doing this?
Can I also create a partition for saving data files on this PC using Puppy Linux? Then could I store the pup_save.2fs and devx_213.sfx files on this partition rather than on my USB removable memory key? Could I alternatively just save pup_save.2fs and devx_213.sfx on the HD of the PC without creating a new partition, and when I start the Live CD, Puppy will find these files?
CatmanDru

#4 Post by CatmanDru »

Im no expert, but these answers will get you started.

"So could I create such a "swap" partition on the WinXP PC I use at work solely for my use of Puppy Linux?" I doubt youd need to. The XP probably has plenty of RAM. Puppy needs only 128 MB RAM to run entirely in memory. In memory it will run extremely fast especialy on an xp capable machine. "Could I create this partition using Puppy Linux?" Yes. "Is it worth doing this?" No. There's no need to and no advantage either. It may also be risky to the data on the xp machine unless its done by someone with experience. Please dont do that. I THINK you can make a swap FILE (as opposed to a partition) which is less risky and easier. Sorry I dont know how. But again Puppy will probably run entirely in ram and FLY on that machine. Swap would only slow it down.
"Can I also create a partition for saving data files on this PC using Puppy Linux?" Not really necessary. You can save it anywhere on the xp drive, perhaps in the "my documents'" folder/directory. "Could I alternatively just save pup_save.2fs and devx_213.sfx on the HD of the PC without creating a new partition, and when I start the Live CD, Puppy will find these files?" Yes.

"I am using Puppy as a Live CD combined with a USB memory key so I believe my Puppy sessions are leaving absolutely no trace of themselves on the PC's HD. Is this correct?" I Believe so.

"It seems that I can use space on the HD to replicate what my USB memory key is currently doing?" Yes.
"If so, does this space on the HD have to be a separate partition...?" No. "... or can I simply save the Puppy Files anywhere?" Yes. " Do the Puppy files have to be saved onto a partition on the HD that is of a particular filesystem?" In your case, no. Puppy can read Windows XP, Windows98, Windows95 filesystems... and more.
une

#5 Post by une »

Thnaks for such a detailed response. It is much appreciated. You have cleared a lot of issues up for me.