palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sindi

statically compiled Pale Mon

#281 Post by sindi »

Could Pale Moon be compiled statically (with glibc 2.19 and the required libstdc++) so as to work in most Puppies (at least 4 and 5) from its own directory, without installing? The binary would be larger. I try to keep my save files small and share browsers between Puppy versions. I

Fluppy has a problem probably with libsdtc++.
Walter Dnes

Re: statically compiled Pale Mon

#282 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Could Pale Moon be compiled statically (with glibc 2.19 and the required libstdc++) so as to work in most Puppies (at least 4 and 5) from its own directory, without installing? The binary would be larger. I try to keep my save files small and share browsers between Puppy versions. I

Fluppy has a problem probably with libsdtc++.
There is an "--enable-stdcxx-compat" option for the build, to enable compatability with older versions. It may get past the first set of problems. But now my Pale Moon test build ( done on CentOS6.8 ) dies on Lucid Puppy with error message...

Code: Select all

undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual
I'll have to do some more Google searching.
sindi

libgdk and Pale Moon in lucid puppy

#283 Post by sindi »

I read that it means "your version of GDK is less than 2.24" -- ours is 2.20.
Someone had this problem with Firefox and Slackware (with non-updated gdk) in 2012.
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 has the string that you got as error message.

Komodo forum said to install gdk-pixbuf2 package to fix the problem.

2.24.1 from Dec 2011 is 1.1 MB xz source. So is 2.29.1 June 2013.
Current is 2.36.3 - 4.9MB, 2.36.1 - 2.6MB
I found 2.21.3 June 2010 bz2 1.4MB - similar in decompressed size to 1.1MB xz.

I just looked at Rerwin's long list of updates and added programs - a huge amount of work.
I did not see library updates.

Rerwin, do you want to update Lucid's early 2010 libraries?
Walter, what date libraries do you suggest? 2013?

Can users of non-maintained Puppies such as Wary update libraries other than glibc and
libstdc++ without breaking Puppy? Wary can safely be updated to glibc 2.11 by a user.

Tahr with Pale Moon SSE also has a libstdc++ problem.
Pale Moon SSE2 works with Tahr and Lucid Puppy - was it compiled with CentOS pre-6.8?

Can you compile statically with glibc and also gdk?
watchdog

#284 Post by watchdog »

Walter Dnes wrote: There is an "--enable-stdcxx-compat" option for the build, to enable compatability with older versions. It may get past the first set of problems. But now my Pale Moon test build ( done on CentOS6.8 ) dies on Lucid Puppy with error message...

undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual
I'll have to do some more Google searching.
One step on with my test glibc tweaked sse palemoon packages in lucid. After installing the following package:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... .1-w5c.pet

I have no more the "undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual" error. Can you you test your builds after installing in lucid this gdk-pixbuf from wary?
Walter Dnes

#285 Post by Walter Dnes »

watchdog wrote:One step on with my test glibc tweaked sse palemoon packages in lucid. After installing the following package:

I have no more the "undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual" error. Can you you test your builds after installing in lucid this gdk-pixbuf from wary?
I only installed Lucid Puppy approximately a week ago so I'm not familiar with this. I've enabled multiple sources slready in the PET installer. How do I point the installer at this PET file? Can I download it to my hard drive, and point to it?

By the way, the developer reference at https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable ... get-visual says that "gdk_window_get_visual ()" has been part of GDK "Since: 2.24", which implies that a minimum of version 2.24 is required.
sindi

puppy package manager in lupu does not have wary packages

#286 Post by sindi »

"(How do I quote other than cut and paste?)

I have no more the "undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual" error. Can you you test your builds after installing in lucid this gdk-pixbuf from wary?"

"I only installed Lucid Puppy approximately a week ago so I'm not familiar with this. I've enabled multiple sources already in the PET installer. How do I point the installer at this PET file? Can I download it to my hard drive, and point to it?"

The lucid puppy package manager does not offer wary puppy files. Download the file from the URL, then maybe you can click on it using ROX file manager (upper left of screen).

I prefer to open an rxvt or other console, cd to where it is, and type

petget filename.pet

I configured/updated Lucid PPM and checked off Ubuntu and Puppy 5. I searched but found no packages containing string gdk-pixbuf.
watchdog

#287 Post by watchdog »

Walter Dnes wrote:
watchdog wrote:One step on with my test glibc tweaked sse palemoon packages in lucid. After installing the following package:

I only installed Lucid Puppy approximately a week ago so I'm not familiar with this. I've enabled multiple sources slready in the PET installer. How do I point the installer at this PET file? Can I download it to my hard drive, and point to it?
Click on the linked package and directly download it (or rght-click on the link and choose "save destination with name"). Then just click on the saved package and it will be installed.
By the way, the developer reference at https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable ... get-visual says that "gdk_window_get_visual ()" has been part of GDK "Since: 2.24", which implies that a minimum of version 2.24 is required.
I have had success running your SSE palemoon in wary with a glibc tweaked package (the same originally tested in precise) so I'm sure it can work.
Walter Dnes

Re: puppy package manager in lupu does not have wary packages

#288 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:"(How do I quote other than cut and paste?)
At the upper-right of each message is a "Quote" icon. You'll only see that button if you're logged in. See attached screen shot with red arrows. Click on that button and you'll get the entire message quoted. Try to trim out extraneous stuff, and leave only the stuff you're replying to, e.g.

[quote="sindi"]"(How do I quote other than cut and paste?) [/quote]
Attachments
quote.png
(7.93 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times
Walter Dnes

#289 Post by Walter Dnes »

A clarification to the gtk+-2.24 requirement. Comments 5 and 6 of bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1092825 indicate that if Pale Moon is built against gtk+-2.24 or higher, the end-user machine will need at least gtk+-2.24. If Pale Moon is built against gtk+-2.18 but below 2.24, then the end-user machine requires at least version 2.18. 2.18 is the absolute oldest version supported at the build stage.

I use a CentOS VM as my build platform. Unfortunately, CentOS 6.8 is the oldest version available for download. I'll look into tracking down an earlier gtk+ tarball and building it from source, and try building against that. If I can get Pale Moon running on Lucid Puppy on my netbook, I'll test it for a while. Pale Moon 27.1.0 will be out one of these days. It'll be switching from gstreamer to ffmpeg for multimedia. I want to test 27.1.0 for ffmpeg version problems before doing an "Old Lib" contributed build.
Robert123

#290 Post by Robert123 »

Walter Dnes wrote:A clarification to the gtk+-2.24 requirement. Comments 5 and 6 of bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1092825 indicate that if Pale Moon is built against gtk+-2.24 or higher, the end-user machine will need at least gtk+-2.24. If Pale Moon is built against gtk+-2.18 but below 2.24, then the end-user machine requires at least version 2.18. 2.18 is the absolute oldest version supported at the build stage.

I use a CentOS VM as my build platform. Unfortunately, CentOS 6.8 is the oldest version available for download. I'll look into tracking down an earlier gtk+ tarball and building it from source, and try building against that. If I can get Pale Moon running on Lucid Puppy on my netbook, I'll test it for a while. Pale Moon 27.1.0 will be out one of these days. It'll be switching from gstreamer to ffmpeg for multimedia. I want to test 27.1.0 for ffmpeg version problems before doing an "Old Lib" contributed build.
I have Palemoon running on older Lucid 5.11 barebone version no problems.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]
sindi

quotes and urls and SSE2 Pale Moon

#291 Post by sindi »

I will type in [quote] and [url] and [/quote] and [/url] because there are no buttons visible
when using the forum with lynx text browser, mouse free. It is difficult to type things in
X on my netbook because the blasted trackpad is too sensitive and deletes things randomly.

(I wonder how what I typed will show up in a graphical browser).

The official Palemoon SSE2 works with Lucid (on a 'newer' computer with SSE2)
because it was compiled using Centos6.

Walter's SSE version was compiled with Centos7 because they told him future versions
would be and to use it now.

The SSE version does not work for me even on a Pentium III because it requires a
later glibc (2.17) which is why Walter very kindly offered to make a Puppy-compatible
SSE version and hopefully in future also Puppy-compatible SSE2 versions,
because the standard official version will need glibc 2.17.

It also requires something else missing even in Tahr (later libstdc++?).

If I could find a glibc 2.17 or later package (de-GHOSTED) I could try an upgrade experiment.

Could Ubuntu 10 be used to compile for Lucid Puppy (and Precise and Slacko)?
Packages compiled for Ubuntu 10 should all work in Lucid Puppy.
Walter Dnes

Re: quotes and urls and SSE2 Pale Moon

#292 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Could Ubuntu 10 be used to compile for Lucid Puppy (and Precise and Slacko)?
Packages compiled for Ubuntu 10 should all work in Lucid Puppy.
I asked on the CentOS mailing list, and they pointed me to vault.centos.org. I've downloaded and installed CentOS 6.5, which comes with gtk2-2.20. Once I have the build environment set up, I'll try building Pale Moon against the older libs.
don922

opening screen messed up

#293 Post by don922 »

I am running the palemoon browser in puppy_lupu528.7.

The opening screen is messed up and I can't seem it fix it. When I attempt to change this screen in preferences it keeps returning to the same messed up opening screen. I even deleted and reloaded puppy_lupu, but the bad opening screen returned.

How do I fix this?

[img]http://image_open.jpg[/img]
Attachments
open.jpg
(84.4 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]
sindi

Cannot load URL with Pale Moon

#294 Post by sindi »

The page is telling you that Pale Moon cannot access a URL (website).
Usually it means that you typed the address wrong, or you clicked on a broken link.
Presumably you have an internet connection.

Did you get this page the very first time you started Pale Moon?
Did you change the start page setting?
Have you tried going to another website?
don922

#295 Post by don922 »

sindi asked the following questions:
Did you get this page the very first time you started Pale Moon?

Did you change the start page setting?

Have you tried going to another website?
I didn't get the messed up page the first time I started palemoon.

I didn't, knowingly, change the opening page to the mess in the picture.

I have tried to go to different websites by changing the start page of the browser. None of the changes took effect or the problem would be fixed.

After the browser is started it runs normally. The only problem is the opening page.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]
OscarTalks

#296 Post by OscarTalks »

The symptoms do suggest that the homepage setting in the preferences has been set to an invalid URL.
If you are sure that you are setting this URL correctly then I suppose it is possible that something in the profile could have got corrupted. One way to fix this is to just delete the entire profile config directory under /root (the moonchild* one) and start again.
Oscar in England
perdido

#297 Post by perdido »

Just a quickie to see if things are working....

When you go to preferences to change the "Home_Page" can you just choose "show a blank page" and see a blank page when it starts?

If it won't show a blank page then something is broken.

sindi

using conkeror browser with palemoon instead of xulrunner

#298 Post by sindi »

Supposedly I can use Conkeror browser in combination with Pale Moon instead of xulrunner by starting palemoon as:

palemoon --app /usr/share/conkeror/application.ini "$@"

Or editing application.ini to use palemoon instead of xulrunner when I type conkeror (a script).

When I do either, it looks and acts like palemoon without any added features. What is supposed to happen?

I want to number links with Conkeror (lucid5.2 pet from 2010, which may be a repackage from the Ubuntu 10 package)
but have an updated browser. Type f to get little red numbers for each link. Conkeror is keyboard based.

Conkeror works with my non-SSE2 Pentium III, whereas Palemoon latest does not (yet).
I don't know how to compile it with/for Lucid Puppy.

People say it will run faster with Palemoon than with its usual xulrunner base.

Hopefully a combination will work on older hardware at more websites with faster speed.
sindi

conkeror using pale moon as base; .moonchild

#299 Post by sindi »

The palemoon files are in /root/.moonchild productions/pale moon/
ls -a /root reveals hidden files (preceded by a '.').

To use pale moon as a base for conkeror also requires adding to application.ini
[goanna]
MinVersion=1.9.*
MaxVersion=1.9.9

Then start palemoon as:

palemoon --app /usr/share/conkeror/application.ini

This should load conkeror with underlying palemoon instead of xulrunner. It loads palemoon.

At the Pale Moon forum someone confirmed that Windows conkeror can use palemoon.

Maybe it only works with linux versions later than 2010 (Lucid 5.2 pet - from Ubuntu?).
Would someone else test the combination of old conkeror, palemoon 26.5 or 27?
Conkeror 0.9.1 is 9MB bz2. Palemoon 27 is 43MB and 26.5 is 27MB.

I highly doubt that Lucid can compile the latest (or any?) conkeror.

Would Walter's setup be adequate to compile conkeror for Lucid (and later Ubuntu-based)
Puppies? (And possibly Wary with glibc 2.11 update - has anyone tried it with palemoon?)

Pentadactyl (which adds keyboard functionality) works in palemoon 26.5 but not 27.
Is there a precompiled SSE version of 26.5 or earlier?

27 added a lot of HTML5 features. Does it use more memory than 26.5? Can an unofficial 27 be
compiled with SSE (for older hardware) with a few less features to use less memory?

Noscript greatly speeds up webpage loading. Most scripts seem to be google's
way of keeping track of us. I needed scripts at ebay and for webmail. Does this reduce
memory usage or only cpu usage?
Walter Dnes

Re: conkeror using pale moon as base; .moonchild

#300 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Would Walter's setup be adequate to compile conkeror for Lucid (and later Ubuntu-based) Puppies? (And possibly Wary with glibc 2.11 update - has anyone tried it with palemoon?)
I'll take a look at it next week. No guarantees.
sindi wrote:27 added a lot of HTML5 features. Does it use more memory than 26.5? Can an unofficial 27 be compiled with SSE (for older hardware) with a few less features to use less memory?
There isn't that much to remove, without possibly breaking something somewhere. There is a way to reduce memory footprint slightly. The tradeoff is that it eliminates stack traces during crashes.