Suspend Lupusuper4plus to RAM in 2009 iMac desktop

Using applications, configuring, problems
Les Kerf

Suspend Lupusuper4plus to RAM in 2009 iMac desktop

#1 Post by Les Kerf »

I am running lupusuper4plus from a USB thumb drive on a 2009 iMac with mostly good success.

I have done quite a bit of searching over the past week, trying to find a way to get this system to go to sleep (suspend) rather than doing a full shutdown.

There seems to be plenty of options for laptops, but very little for a desktop unit.

It seems to me that there should be a way, as the hardware certainly allows this when operating from OSX.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les

backi

#2 Post by backi »

Hi !
What is the reason you insist on Lupusuper4plus ?
Why not try Tahrpup or Xenialpup or Debian Dog ?

There you have to download acpitool too ......i think Debian Dog(32) does (hibernate) without acpitool download ......(on my Machine it does ).

Greetings !

Les Kerf

#3 Post by Les Kerf »

I am not against using a different distribution, but I have limited internet bandwidth so cannot just download large iso's any old time I wish.

Also, I have had best overall results using Lucid on this iMac; it does almost everything well, hooks up to internet quickly, runs fast and stable, and I am very familiar and comfortable with it.

I am simply trying to figure out what it takes to get it to suspend to ram; it appears that a great deal of effort has gone into suspending laptops, but not so much with desktops.

I was hoping that this question would get some more exposure in this forum.

Thanks
Les

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Have you enabled all obvious BIOS options?

Does it suspend if you boot acpi=force?

Prior to issuing any commands, make sure the acpid(aemon) is running.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Les Kerf

#5 Post by Les Kerf »

Semme wrote:Have you enabled all obvious BIOS options?

Does it suspend if you boot acpi=force?

Prior to issuing any commands, make sure the acpid(aemon) is running.
Not sure what can be done in BIOS as this is an iMac which uses some sort of EFI boot system; I don't know much about it, hence the request for advice.

I don't know how to boot acpi=force, is there somewhere in the boot process to do this?

Thanks for the reply,
Les

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Do you get a Puppy splash screen with a blinking cursor prompt when booting?

No? Then I'll guess there's some *.cfg file on your stick you could post the contents of..

Does PPM list "uswsusp" as an available pkg?

Furthermore, this is an iMac Intel, correct?

Check you inbox before you reply.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

don570

#7 Post by don570 »

If you're worried about your USB thumb drive wearing out
because it's writing to the stick while you're away

---->

Barry K has written puppy linux to minimize the writing to a USB stick
so they should last a long time

http://barryk.org/puppylinux/developmen ... works.html
2. Eliminates writes to Flash drive

Notice the bold text above. If you have, say, a 750M pup_save.3fs file and the PC has only 256M total RAM, maybe not even any swap partition or swap file, how on earth does puppy2 avoid writing to the Flash drive during a session?

This is one of the key architectural points of puppy2. At bootup, pup_save.3fs is mounted read-only from where it is on the Flash drive, and it's contents are not copied into RAM. Instead, a tmpfs filesystem in RAM holds all new and changed files. This is still actually very fast, as all the "working files" are in RAM.

Periodically and at end of session, those "working files" are written back to the pup_save.3fs file. Or to the partition if you chose the "solution 1" described above.

What this means in practice is you could have a PC with maybe as little as 64M RAM, booting off a 1G Flash drive, and all writes to Flash are eliminated during a session, and it runs fast.
Seems like magic, hey?

Les Kerf

#8 Post by Les Kerf »

The cares of life have kept me away from further progress on this project; I am posting this while on my lunch break at work ( the iMac lives at my residence).

I play with Puppy Linux as a pleasurable hobby, and intend to keep it pleasant.

If my slow progress causes stress or anxiety amongst my fellow Puppians, there is nothing I can do about it; I will get back to it when I can.

I truly appreciate the help I have received on this forum over the past several years since I discovered Puppy Linux. My skill level is quite low in comparison to most of the regular posters here, therefore I have never been able to offer much help.

That said, the private messages I have received regarding this thread were mean-spirited and uncalled for. I do not need that sort of thing in my life. I will not grovel or beg for help. I would rather that this project fail.

Again, I do thank those who have endeavored to help in the spirit of kindness and Puppy Linux.

Les Kerf